Hacking Question about firmware version

dsafra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well i'm on 4.0.1 firmware and soon i receive mine sc pro i wanna ask if atm is best stay on low firmware os is change nothing if i take last firmware?

thanks

stewacide

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*Right now* it's better and easier to be on the latest. You can update the games, use an exfat formatted SD (so no need to chop up large games), and there are a few games that don't run on 4.0.1.

There's a possibility staying on 4.x might pay off in the future, but if you have an SX Pro dongle a tetherless exploit is really no advantage. What else could a low firmware someday bring?

benson733

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The consensus is to stay on 4.1.0 or lower and wait but it's really a matter of choice. The higher/ current firmwares are most compatible with all games and updates, plus you easily get the SDXC compatibility but will more than likely remain tethered.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
If you don't mind constant sleep mode or the need to boot switch thru RCM each time, best would be to backup your nand and use rajkostos upgrade/downgrade method (idk the link now, sorry) to use any FW without burning fuses. So once software method for 4.1.0 is out, you can just go back to 4.1.0 and use it.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

dsafra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
do you have a nice guide for do a full nand backup and how update with no burn fuses

thanks

Spunky247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Isnt there the problem with the card reader anymore after you go back to your lower Firmware?
I have read that the card reader cant be flashed back and that could make it impossible to play (some idk) cartridge games?!?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isnt there the problem with the card reader anymore after you go back to your lower Firmware?
I have read that the card reader cant be flashed back and that could make it impossible to play (some idk) cartridge games?!?
That is only if your firmware is below 4.0. OP is already above that so when he restores his NAND to downgrade, all of his cartridges will still work.

Reactions: Spunky247

BoNyKiD07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was about to post a similar question, so am I safe to update? Ideally what I want is:

Ability to play my own cartridges
Homebrew / Game Backups / Emulators
Online play with a friend

In that order. So, it won't be detrimental to upgrade? I've been reading a bunch of stickies and it doesn't seem so, although older posts said to stay on lower firmwares no matter what.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was about to post a similar question, so am I safe to update? Ideally what I want is:

Ability to play my own cartridges
Homebrew / Game Backups / Emulators
Online play with a friend

In that order. So, it won't be detrimental to upgrade? I've been reading a bunch of stickies and it doesn't seem so, although older posts said to stay on lower firmwares no matter what.
There are unreleased softmod exploits that work up to 4.1 for now. These would involve loading a webpage and remove the need to use a jig and USB cable to load hacks/homebrew/CFW. If you are fine with using a jig and USB cable for a long time or don't mind keeping your Switch in sleep mode after using a jig and USB cable once, then you can update. If not, stay on your firmware and wait till Atmosphere is released as this is when some of these softmods will become available.

BoNyKiD07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait (sorry I couldn't find an edit button), so I should follow the tutorial to backup, and can I just use the normal nintendo update or should I update via the link? I don't imagine there's a difference but I could be wrong.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There are unreleased softmod exploits that work up to 4.1 for now. These would involve loading a webpage and remove the need to use a jig and USB cable to load hacks/homebrew/CFW. If you are fine with using a jig and USB cable for a long time or don't mind keeping your Switch in sleep mode after using a jig and USB cable once, then you can update. If not, stay on your firmware and wait till Atmosphere is released as this is when some of these softmods will become available.
Got it, okay so for now I'll wait and keep track of stuff. And can I play online with the 4.1 CFW mod? That's the part that's making me consider updating. My best friend just got a switch and wants to play online, so I'm deciding if I'll have to update eventually anyway.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait (sorry I couldn't find an edit button), so I should follow the tutorial to backup, and can I just use the normal nintendo update or should I update via the link? I don't imagine there's a difference but I could be wrong.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Got it, okay so for now I'll wait and keep track of stuff. And can I play online with the 4.1 CFW mod? That's the part that's making me consider updating. My best friend just got a switch and wants to play online, so I'm deciding if I'll have to update eventually anyway.
Unless someone makes a server to play online Switch games with (like the Wii), you need to be on the latest firmware to play online. However, Atmosphere (the CFW that will be loaded with the future softmods as well as the current tethered hardmod coldboot) will support EmuNAND meaning you can update to the latest firmware with EmuNAND while preserving a low SysNAND firmware. Its recommended not to use any sort of hacks/homebrew/CFW if you choose to update either SysNAND/EmuNAND to the latest firmware if you don't want to get both banned. Do all of your hacks offline in SysNAND and play legitimately online in EmuNAND.

For your first question, its recommended to update via the links in the tutorial as it is risk-free from burning fuses. When you update officially, it reboots the Switch so it can burn new fuses. If you don't have a way of preventing the normal NX bootloader (aka the Switch's normal boot-up process), then your fuses will be burnt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am super blessed 2 fiber runs to my house with competing companies lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lucky, I can't get yet in my hood
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got one friend that can't get fiber four houses down because of city lines
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Would be like $400 for them to install it
    Technically for a month there I had Frontier FIOS 500Mbps and Spectrum 1Gbps (they got me on Spectrum because it was a little cheaper for double the speed)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speedcum
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I mean what would you really need that fast for tho, 500mb streams 4k fine. 1gb should be fine for 8k eventually. That's what I just switched to Spermrum.
    I was funny to have both networks running lol
    It was cheaper lol
    The only reason I switched was $$$
    Might have only been like 7 bucks but thats like 84 dollars at the end of the year lol
    840 dollars after 10 years
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hope I can be rich enough to pay all bills annually someday
    +2
    Not that I will save the money, rather I will just spend it on other crap lol
    lol just do autopay it's as lazy as it gets
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 tell uremum to start charging, then you keep the money
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I charge your wife rent at this point
    +1
    Now serving number E73
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good, maybe she will leave me the f alone, now I can drink, smoke, and play my games in peace!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The DMV giving citizens of Detroit empowerment
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and with yourself :creep:
    +1
    As a reminder crack pipes left in the lobby will be thrown away, the DMV is not responsible for lost crack pipes!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a camera I can film what I want
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gotta give my fans what they want...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Deeze nuts