eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi guys,

Yesterday, I had the courage of showing my Switch to my daughter, and of course happy indeed she was to touch the screen.
We enjoyed a fair bit of the demo of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, but the gameplay if messed up.

You have a combo of touchscreen / JoyCon gameplay that in my mind sucks. Firstly, the Joys are on the sides of the console, and you mostly have to touch the elevating platforms, POW buttons that are almost in the middle of the screen. You have to almost take your hand form the Joys and touch the interactive places (my daughter did that, actually, and we spent a good time). She disliked immediately the imagery of The Heroes of monkey Tavern (another game with less than stellar button assignments)

Adding to that, the Switch is fairly heavy and holding the console while grabbing only a Joy makes me think I'm going to break the thing.

But I diggress, I apologise for the rant.

Is there any game you know that has mostly/all touchscreen controls? I was looking at a jigsaw game with japanese imagery, but I don't know if it touchscreen enabled or not. She likes puzzles and that would be a good way for her to play, though 60 pieces of the puzzle in the switch's screen seems a bit hard to manage (60 pieces as per the game description it is the smaller puzzle).

I was hoping that a game with full touch screen controls would exist, and I'd very much like to get one for her. Something simple for a 4 year old.

Also, I spend a whole lot of time on the eShop, but the navigation is something a bit to be desired. There's a 30-in-1 game there. Is it any good?

Love to you all.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's Voez and Deemo. Two rythm games which are entirely touchscreen. That's all I can think of right now. Even if the gameplay isn't insanely deep, they're easy enough (on easy difficulties) for a child and the pretty lights will keep their attention. I recommend voez over deemo

Reactions: eyeliner

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

Yesterday, I had the courage of showing my Switch to my daughter, and of course happy indeed she was to touch the screen.
We enjoyed a fair bit of the demo of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, but the gameplay if messed up.

You have a combo of touchscreen / JoyCon gameplay that in my mind sucks. Firstly, the Joys are on the sides of the console, and you mostly have to touch the elevating platforms, POW buttons that are almost in the middle of the screen. You have to almost take your hand form the Joys and touch the interactive places (my daughter did that, actually, and we spent a good time). She disliked immediately the imagery of The Heroes of monkey Tavern (another game with less than stellar button assignments)

Adding to that, the Switch is fairly heavy and holding the console while grabbing only a Joy makes me think I'm going to break the thing.

Is there any game you know that has mostly/all touchscreen controls? I was looking at a jigsaw game with japanese imagery, but I don't know if it touchscreen enabled or not. She likes puzzles and that would be a good way for her to play, though 60 pieces of the puzzle in the switch's screen seems a bit hard to manage (60 pieces as per the game description it is the smaller puzzle).

I was hoping that a game with full touch screen controls would exist, and I'd very much like to get one for her. Something simple for a 4 year old.

Also, I spend a whole lot of time on the eShop, but the navigation is something a bit to be desired. There's a 30-in-1 game there. Is it any good?

Love to you all.
get yourself a wiiu. right now my 5 and 3 year old daughters are playing terraria on it. When they play the switch is always docked mode. The wiiu is so much better for anything touchscreen related ie. scribblenauts, rayman legends(murphy levels) mario maker etc.

Jayenkai

Makes Games
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most Switch games seem to fall into this trap. They add controller controls and seem to break the touchscreen stuff.
Quite why games can’t work with both, at once, is beyond me.

I’d recommend buying a cheap android pad for your daughter, if you want properly "made for touchscreen" games, since most mobile devs work without controllers in mind. It's a bit of a shame that there’s such a distinction.
But as a gamedev, I can’t stress how easily you fall back on old none-touchscreen habits, the second you have a controller to play about with.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi guys,

Love to you all.
I always hold my Switch by one JoyCon during cutscenes and such, it feels sturdy enough that it would take a hard drop to make it break, so I wouldn't worry. And if anything breaks it's gonna be the JoyCon itself, the rails are made of metal on the Switch for that very reason.

Edit: The World Ends With You is gonna have touchscreen controls (not touch only though I think), and that's a pretty good game, might be worth picking up when it comes out in October.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a good/bad feeling that Pokemon 2019 will support full touchscreen, so they can get people started with a $200 tablet-only switch. If that's true then you can expect quite a few more touch games around that time. Just a blind guess though.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There's Voez and Deemo. Two rythm games which are entirely touchscreen. That's all I can think of right now. Even if the gameplay isn't insanely deep, they're easy enough (on easy difficulties) for a child and the pretty lights will keep their attention. I recommend voez over deemo
Thanks for the input. I believe I stumbled upon them while browsing the shop, but thought they used the joycons.
get yourself a wiiu. right now my 5 and 3 year old daughters are playing terraria on it. When they play the switch is always docked mode. The wiiu is so much better for anything touchscreen related ie. scribblenauts, rayman legends(murphy levels) mario maker etc.
Most Switch games seem to fall into this trap. They add controller controls and seem to break the touchscreen stuff.
Quite why games can’t work with both, at once, is beyond me.

I’d recommend buying a cheap android pad for your daughter, if you want properly "made for touchscreen" games, since most mobile devs work without controllers in mind. It's a bit of a shame that there’s such a distinction.
But as a gamedev, I can’t stress how easily you fall back on old none-touchscreen habits, the second you have a controller to play about with.
Unfortunately, money is a bit of an issue at the moment.
WiiU is not an option because I made quite an effort to remove almost all consoles from my household because of:
Lacking of space. I swear the bigger the house, the more clutter we have everywhere. Women specially love to put furniture in every nook and cranny. In the end, it's always something the male has that's clogging the space for yet another cupboard/whatever space to put shoes, clothes or jewelry on.

Having no desire/funds to pay full price for a Switch, I sold all my unused consoles, and don't intend to have any more than one current gen system at home.

I only have a Wii because of GameCube games I have yet to enjoy fully, and it is in a bit of a bad shape to sell.

I have a good/bad feeling that Pokemon 2019 will support full touchscreen, so they can get people started with a $200 tablet-only switch. If that's true then you can expect quite a few more touch games around that time. Just a blind guess though.
I don't really get all the pokémon rage. but if that helps in the coming of games that make use of the tablet features, oh please, do come with much alacrity.

EDIT:
I've downloaded Fallout Shelter and it's surprisingly good. Also full touchscreen controls. Good time waster.

Last edited by eyeliner,

antiNT

:)
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I always hold my Switch by one JoyCon during cutscenes and such, it feels sturdy enough that it would take a hard drop to make it break, so I wouldn't worry. And if anything breaks it's gonna be the JoyCon itself, the rails are made of metal on the Switch for that very reason.

Edit: The World Ends With You is gonna have touchscreen controls (not touch only though I think), and that's a pretty good game, might be worth picking up when it comes out in October.
The Joy-Con rail can come out off the Switch, the rail is fixed to plastic obviously (the console itself) and this can break.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't even bother with Switch and Wii u if touchscreen is your primary concern. They both suck. Get 3DS for touchscreen games. 2DS if you're worried about hinge and 3D hurting their eyes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu