A Shameless Self-Promotion :rolleyes:

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by mikeyt1998, May 27, 2014.

1. mikeyt1998
    OP

mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

Aug 11, 2007
    Dalton-in-furness, north west
    Well, I've been a member here for a long time, you're all certainly helpful folk and other little projects I've done have received some positive feedback such as 'The Wii Arcade Machine' and my tutorial on 'How To Custom Paint A Wii'

I started a YT channel a few months ago, and the initial videos were crap, but I'm slowly improving with confidence. I've already had some criticism and feedback so I'm after some more really, if anyone could check out the video I'd be happy :P

I bring something different to the table now, 15 minutes worth of a few easy to pull off Mario glitches From 3 NES, 1 SNES and 1 GB game(s) :) Thanks All!

EDIT: I know that the majority of people will know of these glitches, I figured I'd do popular games to try and target what people search for first! (Not working btw... ahaha)

Sicklyboy likes this.
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Never seen a video like this before, most seem to be somewhat negative (usually with good reason) or focus on a single type of glitch (GTA and various failings in gravity).

Did you just decide not to key out your background? If you were going to you might want to be lit from something other than your top left.

Anyway nice intro and editing at the start. I am not sure "start small" is the best way -- start big and pepper the little ones in there between the bigger ones would be how I went for it. Whether you go as far as mixing things up between games rather than going game by game would be a stylistic thing. If you are going game by game then I might suggest a index/shot where you say "at ?.?? is Mario 1, at *.** is Mario 2.....". Another somewhat stylistic thing might be subtitling the segment with what video it is, personally I would have done it to help with my workflow and from there it is not exactly hard to turn it into something presentable.

No world 0 on the first NES game?

As it goes on... I am not the biggest fan of dissolve cut being used at every point. Granted it is better than "all fades, all the time" (though I am not one of the "you only get two fades" persuasion).

All in all many more youtube types would do well to do editing like that. I could probably pick up on a few more things (you do a variation of reach to turn the camera off at the end spoken section during the fade to black), you had a few jump cuts with your mug on there (far from fatal and better than lingering, some people cut to a short frame of something in these), I am anti any and all waffle but that does not seem to offend anybody in youtube world (though that is more because feedback is a more passive thing in my world) and you could probably trim a second or two from various segments but that will probably come with time.

3. mikeyt1998
    OP

Aug 11, 2007
    Hey Fast, you're especially helpful in every situation you know that? hahaha

I've done a few glitch videos following the same style really, in this case I decided not to key the background , I wasn't entirely sure what to put there as well as not wanting it to be too showy from the start really, sometimes I feel keeping it simple is the best way :P

Subtitling, yes I've thought of that before, I did use that in the Wii Painting guide actually, but thought with the intro to each game being a few clips and the title screens it may not have needed it. Dissolve fade is one of my weak points indeed, I'm never sure what to use, again staying simple and effective in my mind I guess, but you're picking up on things that I wouldn't have noticed that clearly an audience may pick up on!

The jump cuts, I can't help, you'll have to believe me when I say talking to a camera is my worst nightmare, I'm massively aware of myself and become unsure what the hell I started saying hahaha Plus I've see alot of bigger youtubers such as caddicarus using that sort of cut so like you say, it's better than awkwardly sitting there!

I've had feedback elsewhere and it's all helping out, so thanks for taking the time out to watch it and give me a few pointers!

(Bad choice missing out the NES World -1 I know... I don't know how the hell I missed that. DAMN)

4. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    That was fairly entertaining, I got a giggle out of a few parts. Not bad lol.

5. mikeyt1998
    OP

Aug 11, 2007
    Thanks very much. See it's hard to please everyone, some people like, some people don't, you have to aim at one extreme or the other hahaha

The gaming community on youtube is incredible as it is, it's hard to stand out with such a creative and talented bunch of people... But ya still have to try!

Sicklyboy likes this.
  6. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    I will say I'm never much one for intros and outros, so frankly I skipped those, but I got right to the gameplay and watched that all the way through. You managed to keep my attention for about 13 minutes, not bad. Your voice is pretty good for this too, not at all annoying, good volume, well projected, and quite understandable. There were a few spots here and there where I did have just a bit of trouble understanding a word or two you said, but honestly I'd attribute that to just having an accent than I'm not used to more than anything.

I'm no sound tech or video editing master or anything of the sorts, but in my completely non-professional opinion I'd say you did a pretty good job. Keep it up mate. ;)

Edit - I've seen very few of these. The Mario Land 2 one was hilarious.

7. mikeyt1998
    OP

Aug 11, 2007
    Whatever floats your boat :P 13 minutes is about the majority of the video, so I can't say I'm unhappy with that!

A few people have said that the voice is good! Tbh, I've never heard a single person from up north UK that's well known for gaming... Everyone assumes we all talk like the Londoners hahaha! Thanks for the feedback again, much appreciated!

Sicklyboy likes this.
  8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Better a fairly well lit green wall than pointing at your desk/TV, and probably badly lit at that.

As for being useful... video has long been my hobby and computers, electronics and general engineering is stuff I picked up along the way; such things tend to align well with what most of this site wants or asks for help in. The rest is usually explained by http://xkcd.com/451/