A question about PM4 translating

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Elanor, Jun 7, 2010.

Jun 7, 2010
  1. Elanor
    OP

Newcomer Elanor Newbie

United Kingdom
    First of all, hi everyone! Newbie to the forum here [​IMG]

Just recently I've been looking into translating Princess Maker 4: Special Edition (I'm pretty sure the Uk will never see a release lol) - don't worry about suggesting romhacking tutorial links, I've already read through them and have an understanding of hex editing and tables etc.

My question is this: after unpacking the .nds file, I came up with a bunch of .c files and a .bin file which I assume is to be opened and edited in a hex editor. However every hex editor I open it with (and I've tried a few, believe me) just comes up with what looks like mojibake. [​IMG]

So could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or perhaps suggest a unicode hex editor that will show the Japanese characters?

Thankyou! [​IMG]

2. miruki

Member miruki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    As far as I remember, there was some problem with the game's files, it's not as simple as opening and editing them, but that was discussed in the Princess Maker translation thread some pages back.. search for it and you should find some information about the romhacking of the game.

But the ppl who wanted to do a translation before gave up because the hacking was unpossible. [​IMG]

3. Elanor
    OP

Newcomer Elanor Newbie

United Kingdom
    Aaah ok I will check that out asap [​IMG] thankyou for letting me know so quickly!:)
    That sucks that there is some problem with the files [​IMG] I just thought I was being a noob! Hopefully something can be done about it..:s

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    For reference the .c files are as the name implies (incomplete) source code for the game- the devs left it in there for whatever reason. Quite useful for looking at but never used in the game itself.

5. Elanor
    OP

Newcomer Elanor Newbie

United Kingdom
    Yeah that was what I thought! [​IMG] I translated some of it just for personal info haha, but I am determined to figure out a way to translate the actual game [​IMG]

6. miinna

Newcomer miinna Member

Russia
    Princess Maker 4 DS Special Edition eng ver.0.1
    [​IMG]
    There