Hacking Question A question about nand dumps

k3rizz3k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard of people getting bad nand dumps. Is there a way to detect this, or should one make 2 and compare the hash?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All NAND dumps made with Hekate V3.1+ have the proper verification built in during the dumping process to ensure that no more bad dumps can be made. Unfortunately, I don't know how to check if a bad dump was made before Hekate V3.1 so I guess you could check one made with one after 3.1 with one before and see if they match.

Reactions: k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All NAND dumps made with Hekate V3.1+ have the proper verification built in during the dumping process to ensure that no more bad dumps can be made. Unfortunately, I don't know how to check if a bad dump was made before Hekate V3.1 so I guess you could check one made with one after 3.1 with one before and see if they match.
Alright, thanks. I'll redump my sons. And I'll make sure to use the newest hekate to dump mine when I have everything I need.

jimbabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I made a raw nand dump at the beginning of June previous to using any homebrew. Id like to try restoring from that, but what will happen if its a bad dump?

Also, I didnt do boot 0 etc...just raw. Is just the one okay? I made a backup of it all yesterday that was verified.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a raw nand dump at the beginning of June previous to using any homebrew. Id like to try restoring from that, but what will happen if its a bad dump?

Also, I didnt do boot 0 etc...just raw. Is just the one okay? I made a backup of it all yesterday that was verified.
It probably will kind of brick the console. I'm not in the interest of finding out either. Just play it safe and make a new backup. Also, backup Boot0/Boot1. Raw does not include those partitions.

jimbabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Gotcha. Thanks. Guess I didnt do too much besides download/run a few homebrew (psnes, flashback) so hopefully no ban when I go back online.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks. I'll redump my sons. And I'll make sure to use the newest hekate to dump mine when I have everything I need.
that's awesome that you are teaching your kids about linux and developing homebrew!!!

That's what yer teaching them right?

k3rizz3k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's awesome that you are teaching your kids about linux and developing homebrew!!!

That's what yer teaching them right?
He actually probably knows more about Linux than me. He's had his own Linux computer for about 2 years now.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He actually probably knows more about Linux than me. He's had his own Linux computer for about 2 years now.
I was actually just being snarky about encouraging kids to do things like violatings ToS, DMCA, and piracy. I'm not one to judge of course. I have a family history of digital abuse. I learned it from watching you DAD!

k3rizz3k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use HacDiskMount to see if you can open your dump. If you can then its probably ok. https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/

Also for the life of master chief can you change your icon, it gives me butterflies.
Which one is showing up? I tried to change it yesterday, on my computer the old one still shows, but on my phone the new one (monkeylike) does.

k3rizz3k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was actually just being snarky about encouraging kids to do things like violatings ToS, DMCA, and piracy. I'm not one to judge of course. I have a family history of digital abuse. I learned it from watching you DAD!
I never said anything about piracy. And about the TOS, I don't care, he'll be taught that is he bought a toy/electronic etc it's his to do what he wants with, tinker to his hearts content.

That being said, he'll know there are repercussions, and that he is not entitled to anything.

Last edited by k3rizz3k, , Reason: Clarification

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said anything about piracy. And about the TOS, I don't care, he'll be taught that is he bought a toy/electronic etc it's his to do what he wants with, tinker to his hearts content.

That being said, he'll know there are repercussions, and that he is not entitled to anything.
I know you didn't say anything about piracy. I was making the implication. That's why I said I was being snarky. Violating TOS is certainly is as bad as piracy however, though the ramification are primarily civil instead of statutory. Sorry to be off topic, as I said, I was being snarky.

Reactions: k3rizz3k

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: +2