A decent HDD for USB loading?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by bin01, Feb 26, 2010.

Feb 26, 2010

A decent HDD for USB loading? by bin01 at 12:26 AM (1,232 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. bin01
    OP

Member bin01 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hello fellas, im buying a portable drive that can deal USB loading, but im curious about some issues i have been reading regarding WD and Seagate(been aparently seagate better than WD). What about spin down stuff, i know its a heavy problem with externals HDD but thats all i know, what exacly is this?

Now seriously lol im gonna get either Seagate FreeAgent Go or WD My passport Essential (320GB) and yea i know both brands are solid. So talking in specs,
    Which one has a longer lifetime? You know, due to recesion this will be a one-on-life inversion, which one is more durable
    Which drive can stay ON more time? I hear portables arent designed to stay ON during all day, and they shutdown
    Which needs less cold? Im not planning buying a fan or anything, it will be portable so no addons or weird stuff

If there is any usefull information regarding Xdrive is better that Y drive, well that could be apreciated. Thx

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    i have a bunch of different WD passports, and they all work perfectly with the wii, I have no knowledge of the seagate hard drive u reference... but if i were u, i would go for what i consider a "sure thing" and just get the WD

3. Fellow

Member Fellow GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I recommend the 500GB Western Digital My Essential Passport.

4. bin01
    OP

Member bin01 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok from the flame of post this thread is getting i have got that my passport essentials beats freeagent... now what is that freaggn the spin thing, is it bad for games or what, can it be fixed.
    Its always good to have clear the things the more information the more the satisfaction after buy.
    Thanks in advance

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Unless it's made from pure shit, odds are it'll work decently. You won't notice any difference on playing games from a WD or Seagate HDD, really. I use a WD 250GB one and it works right as rain. Never had any issues with it. So really, just choose a respectable brand and the best price for whatever size you want.

6. markmcrobie

Member markmcrobie GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I use a Seagate portable drive, 250GB (£39.99 from Argos here in the UK).

Link: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6758648.htm

It's small, black, takes it's power by USB, silent, and has a small, unobtrusive green activity light at the back (as opposed to my Toshiba 1TB drive I have that has the world's brightest blue light on the front that turns into the world's brightest red light when the drive is accessed - really nice when you're trying to watch a movie in a darkened room!)

I have it formatted as WBFS, have 65 games on it, and it's only 30% full, did absolutely nothing to it other than format it as WBFS (didn't change any settings or run any Seagate software on it), and it's played every game I've tried so far just fine, including Tiger Woods 2010, New Super Mario Bros, etc.

They also do a 320GB of the same drive for £49.99 and a 500GB for £69.99.

7. wiiuser2

Member wiiuser2 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I have used 5 Seagate Freeagent Go drives for myself and my friends (500Gb version).
    Works everywhere without a single issue.

Note: You must use the pre-installed Seagate software to disable the power saving option on the drive which switches of the FreeAgent Go after some minutes of inactivity. When you have done this it, it is perfectly suited for the Wii.

I prefer the Seagate above the WD disks because of the 5-year waranty of Seagate, and it looks very nice close to the Wii

8. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    I think it's got more to do with the Hdd controller not the hard drive have tried many different internal PC drives IDE/SATA and different sizes from 4gb to 1.5Tb and different makes on the same controller and all have worked no sleep or compatibility problems