Gaming AGS-001 Screen/Light Assembly into OG GBA MOD

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT (8/15/14): Before you plan on using a regular back lit custom ribbon cable to plug and play a front lit AGS-001 screen, scroll down and read below!!!!

It works. It all drops right in just like the AGS-101 back lit screen using the same custom ribbon adapter cable. Here some picture I took while I was testing to see if it works using the cable from my GBA AGS-101 mod console and a extra GBASP AGS-001 screen with no light since I used it on a OG GBA.

Here's how it looks like before I do anything esle:

DSC_0051_zps676d0d13.jpg

DSC_0050_zpscdb28417.jpg

Then I took my GBASP AGS-001 screen to test if it'll fit the custom ribbon cable for the AGS-101 LCD screen, and..... it DOES:

DSC_0049_zps7d01db1d.jpg

Now, all I got to do is turn it on! And it works! Just that I took the front light out when I received this broken GBASP. I then revived it by messing around with the motherboard:

DSC_0047_zpsd8654bca.jpg

DSC_0048_zpse3a090d0.jpg

Point of this thread for those who still wants a front lit OG GBA for their collection like me. Now that I confirmed this, you won't have to remove the front light panel anymore. Just use the whole SP screen assembly as one then all you need is the custom ribbon cable adapter whether it's a 32 or 40 pin connector depending on your mother board of your OG GBA.

A plus to this is that, there will be no more fuzzy line anymore now that you're able to use the whole unit since the GBASP screen has the AR film. :D

NOTE: Things I still don't know is where to solder that red wire from the ribbon adapter. And still don't know if a resistor should be use in series just in case the LED from the light panel burns out due to too much voltage coming through. I'll update this thread when I receive all the parts to complete this project.

xephon3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just signed up to say that I tried to do this last night, completely forgetting that someone in another thread had said the ags 001 screen was too big to fit into the agb 001 housing. It really is too large and if you force it the screen ends up with too much pressure on it that the pressure points look purple. I also tried getting the black housing of the screen off to try and make it slimmer but it still was too big. I then tried to just get the front light out and wire it up, but as I tried to route the wire I had soldered to the front light's +/- I pulled too hard and ended up ripping it...And so my gba remains unlight, at least until the sp+ I just picked up comes in the mail so I can finally finish the mod (and maybe my gba backlog as well...)

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just signed up to say that I tried to do this last night, completely forgetting that someone in another thread had said the ags 001 screen was too big to fit into the agb 001 housing. It really is too large and if you force it the screen ends up with too much pressure on it that the pressure points look purple. I also tried getting the black housing of the screen off to try and make it slimmer but it still was too big. I then tried to just get the front light out and wire it up, but as I tried to route the wire I had soldered to the front light's +/- I pulled too hard and ended up ripping it...And so my gba remains unlight, at least until the sp+ I just picked up comes in the mail so I can finally finish the mod (and maybe my gba backlog as well...)

Did you grind down the lumps like you're suppose to for the back lit screen on the front half of the shell? I did that too but still have that pressure problem too. I left it, don't really notice it either when playing games. But I've accomplished it, will post picture down below. You need the specific AGS-001 ribbon cable adapter that has a fuse/resistor unlike the back lit ribbon cables for the front lit LCD screen assembly, so it doesn't burn the LED out like mine. I was able to contact and bought one off a seller n eBay that makes the ribbon cable just for the AGS-001 front lit assembly screen.

Check it out!

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do NOT use a back lit custom ribbon cable that has P1 and P2 solder point made for the AGS-101 screen onto the AGS-001 screen:

#1: It will plug and play but throws off the color contrast even if you messed with the trim pod. Won't do a thing to make it better.

#2: It will burn the LED out in no time. Happened to me when I was testing to see if it'll work. Light came on then faded out. There was no resistor on the ribbon cable like the one made for the AGS-001 screen assembly.

Anyways, onto what I just received to day to finish my project!

The best seller ever. Had it in this GBA protective case, so it doesn't get damage during shipment:

IMG_20140815_155648_zps3gs8wunn.jpg

Here's the special custom ribbon adapter cable with a resistor to the red wire:

DSC_0101_zpshlsk25vr.jpg

DSC_0102_zps517lji45.jpg

AGS-001 front light assembly in along with the ribbon cable. Note how the red wire is routed to point C56 (recommended soldering point for AGS-001) so it doesn't get pinch by the halves of shell:

IMG_20140815_154602_zps43fjc0us.jpg

The final product!! No more glare. Much cleaner and better in person. I did sorta messed up on the front light panel due to that scratch near the bottom of screen. Finger slipped and nail scratched it while trying to remove the sticky tape. Will get another broken SP for it's light panel:

DSC_0110_zpszwmhffmq.jpg

DSC_0095_zpsyaaslxpy.jpg

DSC_0094_zpskhczsd8x.jpg

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, but the real question I was asking is, how did you install a dimmer chip V4 into a original GBA with the GBA SP screen?
Because the GBA SP screen does not have 2 wires to connect to like the Afterburner had.

I didn't. I have another GBA with the SP front light mod which has the dimmer chip, not the one with the GBA SP screen.

PatGuy785

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't. I have another GBA with the SP front light mod which has the dimmer chip, not the one with the GBA SP screen.

Aww man, I thought that would work for people who want to use the dimmer, that would have been cool.

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should have also put AR Film (from the GBA SP) in the the GBA LCD screen so it would have better quality.

That is a GBA SP screen with it's original light assembly. It's the whole unit stuffed into this GBA. No need for another AR Film as the SP screen already have one. :D It's the same one with the Super Mario game.

Hairball

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just found the wonders of GBA modding recently, I have an Afterburner that I installed years ago, but now looking at installing a AGS-001 screen from a cheap GBASP I bought.

Any luck still finding that special ribbon cable adapter to put it in the old GBA?

EDIT: wow I've had an account for 5 years and never posted til now.

Reactions: Nusdogg

Digipokemon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I was thinking of doing this mod to my GBA, but was wondering about the special ribbon cable adapter mentioned in comparison to the normal backlit ribbon cable adapter. . On ebay I only see normal 32 pin and 40 pin cables. Where can I get this special ribbon cable adapter? I have the 40 pin model GBA.
Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question.

Reactions: Nusdogg and Skops

Skops

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I want make this mod with AGS 001 but I dont understant all of that. This cable its okay if I dont use P1 and P2 points? I have a 40 Pin GBA

$_12.JPG

Reactions: Nusdogg

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any luck still finding that special ribbon cable adapter to put it in the old GBA

Hello, I was thinking of doing this mod to my GBA, but was wondering about the special ribbon cable adapter mentioned in comparison to the normal backlit ribbon cable adapter. . On ebay I only see normal 32 pin and 40 pin cables. Where can I get this special ribbon cable adapter? I have the 40 pin model GBA.
Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question.

There's a seller on eBay with the screen name Lee_chan1985. Message him on there for his front lit ribbon cable. He'll be more than happy to assist you. Same guy I bought mine from. If you type "Front Lit GBA" in the search bar on eBay, you'll see his front lit kit with that ribbon adapter if you scroll down til you see it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1