80gb ps3's fan randomly gets extremely loud

CaseyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to give context to this issue (go to the third paragraph if you don't care), a couple of years back, my ps3 underwent a series of power outages all in a row whilst still plugged in. i had to rebuilt the database to fix some serious mid-game hdd stalling.

since then, i've still had to plug the ds3 in with the charging cable to connect it to the console, then unplug it for any inputs to register every time i power on the console; later on, it started asking for the date and time on startup.

somewhere in between these issues appearing, the fan began randomly becoming extremely loud for long periods of time, typically originating at startup. attached below is an example. i know there're a multitude of causes for a loud fan, but hopefully the audio gives some more insight into my particular case.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the fan ramp up could be your syscon configuration do you use webman ? if so then its a known bug you should update your cfw and webman and then take a look at the syscon configuration in webman

does it ask you everytime to set time and date ? if so it could be the battery on your ps3mboard take a look at ifixit
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/PlayStation-3/Batteries

about your controller problem sadly its just a case of dead ps3 controller battery i have one that acted exactly the same like yours heres the link for a replacement
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/DualShock-3-Controller-Battery/IF213-039?o=1

are there other strange behaiviors of your ps3?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 80GB (replaced with a 750GB HDD although it's only 700GB usable) PS3 does that, but not immensely. It gets excessively loud if I enter Webman, so I avoid it.

Controlling the temperature helps if you can't or don't want to replace the thermal paste.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phat ps3s are true pos. they have heating issues just like the early 360s, but microsoft got all the flak for a poorly engineered console. it's not really a question of if it will fail but rather when, especially if it's not maintained.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phat ps3s are true pos. they have heating issues just like the early 360s, but microsoft got all the flak for a poorly engineered console. it's not really a question of if it will fail but rather when, especially if it's not maintained.
My early 250GB Slim made a weird noise, it wasn't too annoying, but it made me wish it just didn't and I expected better since it was a newer, slimmer model.

This particular PS3 I use I honestly don't mind the noise since isn't too much. If it was 80 decibels? Oh yeah, that'd be a serious problem, but it's hardly anything.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my 360 is loud, but that's mostly due to setting the temp thresholds at 60. the cpu of the 360 can't withstand heat as well as the cell of the ps3, but they're both pretty bad, especially for a now old console. it's like trying to find a ps2 with a working dvd drive, they're rare. to drown out the noise, I use my speaker setup.

CaseyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the fan ramp up could be your syscon configuration do you use webman ? if so then its a known bug you should update your cfw and webman and then take a look at the syscon configuration in webman

does it ask you everytime to set time and date ? if so it could be the battery on your ps3mboard take a look at ifixit
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/PlayStation-3/Batteries

about your controller problem sadly its just a case of dead ps3 controller battery i have one that acted exactly the same like yours heres the link for a replacement
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/DualShock-3-Controller-Battery/IF213-039?o=1

are there other strange behaiviors of your ps3?
i got rid of webman and that seemed to fix both the fan and date/time issues, less sure about the latter though

and thanks for the controller battery tip

Reactions: rantex92

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The app TempMON and set to Control Mode: TempMON has helped keep my 80GB quiet and stable without getting noisy.

Must say the LED light switch from green to lime green. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @hazbeans, welcome