Review 64drive review

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
So just a thought, as I have a PAL N64, if I get a PAL cart, would I be able to play NTSC roms? So I don't have to play in slowed down pal versions...
Edit: after looking through the first post again, I'm gonna guess yes.

But I don't trust my own judgement.. so it'll be nice if someone can say. xP

amptor

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shanefromoz said:
I read here about the 64drive not working with windows 7 64bit.
Can someone please explain to me why?

It works with windows 7 64-bit. you just can't update its internal firmware within a 64bit operating system at all. the one it will ship with works with everything fine so it is not really an issue.

I think it might be that the driver used for the software isn't compatible with 64bit windows or the actual software itself.

No software is needed to operate the card though. All you do is copy the menu rom and all your game / homebrew roms to the MicroSD or CF and plug it in and play. The majority of this review testing the games was done while running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and then of course the N64 on a separate TV set. I had to use a sandisk CF reader and a transflash reader from my original R4 for flashing because my all-in-one multi card reader is a piece of junk. That is the most of the problem I had was hardware related (that and I accidentally messed up the microsd slot but I bent the pin back and it works fine too.. usually that won't happen)

amptor

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cuber said:
So just a thought, as I have a PAL N64, if I get a PAL cart, would I be able to play NTSC roms? So I don't have to play in slowed down pal versions...
Edit: after looking through the first post again, I'm gonna guess yes.

But I don't trust my own judgement.. so it'll be nice if someone can say. xP

I haven't tested this on a PAL system but I never had trouble running PAL games on an NTSC system so I would assume that you could run NTSC roms ona PAL cart but you'll either want to convert them to 50hz or run them on a 60hz TV which I heard are pretty common in Europe these days (what I mean by that is I heard the TV sets there do both 50hz and 60hz). Unfortunately my digital TV which I figured would be the most state of the art thing when i bought it only does 60hz. This was before everyone was going nuts buying 120hz tv sets. There were some, but mostly really expensive plasma sets.

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a possibility of support for cheats in the future? Also, is there a GB emulator for the N64 that would work alongside the NES emu? If both these things are doable (at least in the future) then I'm going to buy one.
smile.gif

sabinraijin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I REALLY hope they make an SNES flashcart. There aren't enough SNES options out there. I will not buy from RetroUSB again after getting a DoA SNES Powerpak which didn't load games and fed back mapper errors (even with the latest mapper pack - didn't even want to load the example PD roms provided by retroUSB). It sucks too because the Powerpak gets a lot of praise and seems to be the best SNES flashcart......if it arrives in working order. I'm not rolling my $160 dice with them again and they didn't sound too thrilled about me sending my DoA Powerpak in for replacement when I contacted them.

Then you have the Neo SNES Myth, which can only hold a few games in memory at once before you have to load more from your computer. Then you have the SNES EverDrive, which is aptly named because it is never, Ever in stock (har har). Right now the only option available for me is the SNES Myth which just doesn't tickle me the right way for not using a mass storage medium like MicroSD or CF. I'm not paying nearly $200 for outdated tech.

edit: well fancy that.....turns out one site finally has the Super Everdrive in stock after I just checked. Yoink.

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
shanefromoz said:
I read here about the 64drive not working with windows 7 64bit.
Can someone please explain to me why?
If you have Administrator access, an XP installation disk and enough space to install it, you can create a virtual hard drive, mount it before installing XP and install into that. It boots fine, even. It's the little work-around I use for software that doesn't like Windows 7.

On topic, I love the idea of a flash cart for a Nintendo 64, especially since I don't have a computer strong enough to emulate it well. But, I'm afraid I don't have the money to buy something like that. Maybe I'll save up.
tongue.gif

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone ordered one of these and actually received it?

Yes, I ordered one and I have received it. It does what it's advertised to do, and in my own opinion, it completely blows the ED64 and Neo Myth crap away.. Heck, even though this isn't openly talked about, the ED64 wont work on consoles made after 1998 due to how it was designed (Cheaply, that is; the developer skimped out on the design and parts used, he only announced it right after marshall started making more progress on the 64drive, to steal marshall's customers by louring them away with a "cheaper" price, but remember, cheaper isn't always better)

Although, I just had to have a blue case on mine, and a 6105 CIC, which does allow clean dumps of Jet Force Gemini and Banjo Tooie to run flawlessly. As for cheat support in the future, it's possible, but it'll be a real hassle for marshall to implement. Who knows, maybe he'll do it if he has the time. For now, I'd research on how to actually patch roms with GS codes. I've gotten a few games successfully working with GS codes patched to the ROM's memory itself, so that's really neat. I'm probably going to start up an N64 rom "hacking" website with a friend to publish ppf patches for various games, and compile documentation on the best ways to hack N64 roms.

I can even play PAL and Japanese roms on my NTSC-U console, no issues. Also, it is possible to use a Gameshark if you load the games up through USB on the 64drive, completely bypassing the bootmenu and effectively making the GS think it's the real game, but you may accidentally brick your GS.

The following video is a demonstration video I made not long after I received my 64drive. It's 10 minutes long, so I hope you enjoy.

64drive Demonstration

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wow, stop spamming the 64drive threads with your non-sense. The guy is building them himself, and is shipping them out in the order that they were paid for. I have received mine, and I can assure you, it's completely real and he's not a thief. It's the best N64 flashcart in my honest opinion, so stop getting butt hurt because yours didn't ship the same day.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I might buy one in feb (too many games to buy in November), but the only gripes I have is that he needs to update the software to work with windows 7 64bit and a inbuilt cheat device, if the guy who is making this can manage to put jpgs and mp3 on his flash cart (which I have no use for) I am sure that he can fit a xploder or. Gameshark to make this flashcart complete, also as he is demanding so much money for this device i expect a lot out for my buck.

i would be mad if i had to wait 2 months for my order so why is he taking so long to sort this out then? i don't want to order and wait a excessive ammount of time too.

also we shall see if the wii and the ps3 n64 emulator takes off, if not then i will think off this as a option.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might buy one in feb (too many games to buy in November), but the only gripes I have is that he needs to update the software to work with windows 7 64bit and a inbuilt cheat device, if the guy who is making this can manage to put jpgs and mp3 on his flash cart (which I have no use for) I am sure that he can fit a xploder or. Gameshark to make this flashcart complete, also as he is demanding so much money for this device i expect a lot out for my buck.

i would be mad if i had to wait 2 months for my order so why is he taking so long to sort this out then? i don't want to order and wait a excessive ammount of time too.

also we shall see if the wii and the ps3 n64 emulator takes off, if not then i will think off this as a option.

It's still not clear if he's going to add GS support or not, but I've been pestering him everyday to start on it :P He said it was possible, just incredibly complicated. The N64 GS is /that/ complicated.

Also, you wouldn't have to wait 2 months if you ordered in feb, since the orders that are getting shipped out now are the preorders. Keep in mind, 50% of the preorders happened within the first two days.

He's shipping them in the order they were paid for; it's just going to take some time as he's building them himself. I'm sure once the preorders are done, he'll be building extra stock just incase he gets a flood of orders again.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

It's still not clear if he's going to add GS support or not, but I've been pestering him everyday to start on it :P He said it was possible, just incredibly complicated. The N64 GS is /that/ complicated.

Also, you wouldn't have to wait 2 months if you ordered in feb, since the orders that are getting shipped out now are the preorders. Keep in mind, 50% of the preorders happened within the first two days.

He's shipping them in the order they were paid for; it's just going to take some time as he's building them himself. I'm sure once the preorders are done, he'll be building extra stock just incase he gets a flood of orders again.

so how long did it take for you to get your order? also that is why i am ordering in feb becasue of money issue right now and becasue i want the leway to susbside for a while 1st, i will check on the status of this flashcart in feb and then decide if i want it or not.

amptor

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nearly all Western made flash carts are put together by the very person that invented / developed it.

Also you guys are forgetting that KRIKzz does the very same which is why he is out of stock a lot of times too.

NeoFlash, on the other hand, probably has workers that assemble theirs and they continually replenish inventory and normally have most of their products in stock. They are a China company based out of a section of China that is all industrial. Remember guys, China is a communist country so there is only a portion of the land that caters to manufacturing of goods in a capitalistic way. This is due to the Guangdong region being "experimental" for the People's Republic of China.

I'd say that if there is a rush to get any products, order from Team NeoFlash. Otherwise it is worth the wait. I have found the NeoFlash product to require more parts and due to that be a bit cumbersome to use at times. However I do like the NeoFlash product and a CIC 6102 will run practically every game I want to play anyway.

But anyway I decided to comment on this issue because it reminded me of Flavor's NeoGeo Pocket Flashmasta kit and that it is him alone putting those together and he said that has a lot to do with the high price of his product. So I am assuming that it is very much the same for the rest.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok sorry for my bad post and i wait my order and be patient

It's okay man, everyone gets impatient at times, especially when waiting on a product like this, I know I was. Now that I have it, I play my N64 everyday if I can.

I am also waiting for my 64drive also but have been in contact with supplier and yes he does reply.

Yeah, he's great at communication, just don't get upset if his reply isn't instant, as he's in college.

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a fair bit of email communication with him and he has always got back with friendly and informative answers. I have no doubt about the veracity of the guy or his product.

I ordered mine a wee while ago. I was unsure how long I was going to have to wait and I wanted to book a holiday. I emailed him and he got back within a day or two. He reckons it'll take about 4 or 5 weeks to get mine as the PCB's for my batch are still being fabricated. I don't think that's too long to wait for a very polished niche product hand built by the designer. God, I've waited about 15 years for a decent N64 ROM solution another few weeks isn't going to hurt!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs