Hacking 3DS homebrew emulator capabilities?

Will it be able to run a PS1 emulator?

• yeahh maybe

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • NOPE, to weak

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

EpicLink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that The 3DS Homebrew scene if finally kicking off, theoretically what do you think the hardware will be able to emulator? Anything pre N64 will run smooth, thats a given (going off the original DS capabilities and the 3DS hardware upgrade from there) but what about PS1 Games? or Nintendo 64 for that matter. from what i understand the 3DS is between the Wii and gamecube in terms of power (but can outperform them in some aspects), with that the Wii ran N64 emulator great and PS1.... decent. maybe with some insanely good coding the 3DS might one day run PS1 games? The PSP could do it so theoretically the 3DS should be able too!

What do you guys think, what Systems will the 3DS be able to emulate?
what systems do you want to see emulated?

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently everyone hates the PICA because it's difficult to program for, so we'll have to see what happens with that. The PS1 emulator was made by Sony also, the psp has the same cpu type as the ps1.

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has been discussed many times before. Personally, I'd not hold my breath for fast PS1/N64 emulators on the 3DS for a variety of reasons, the most important of which being the general lack of interest in homebrew development on consoles compared to the PSP days.

If you want portable emulators, buy an Android phone and a good Bluetooth controller.

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
My 1.2ghz laptop runs epsxe without lag or skipping at 800mhz battery mode
at 640x480 resolution with a 16mb video card (Can run higher but doesn't look much better)
Also the PSP could handle PS1 completely fine with homebrew and that's a less powerful than 3DS

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the 3DS should be able to run decent ps1 emulation

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 1.2ghz laptop runs epsxe without lag or skipping at 800mhz battery mode
at 640x480 resolution with a 16mb video card (Can run higher but doesn't look much better)
Also the PSP could handle PS1 completely fine with homebrew and that's a less powerful than 3DS

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the 3DS should be able to run decent ps1 emulation

But the PSP uses virtualization not emulation, that, and both consoles use MIPS architecture.

Reactions: Kippykip

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
PSP is a bad example. It uses the sameCPU as the PS1 (MIPS R3000), clocked 10 times faster. Also why it's capable of N64 (uses a R4300@90MHz)
3DS uses ARM11@268MHz.
Still, a PS1 emu should be possible, even at a PoC level.

Reactions: Kippykip

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP is a bad example. It uses the sameCPU as the PS1 (MIPS R3000), clocked 10 times faster. Also why it's capable of N64 (uses a R4300@90MHz)
3DS uses ARM11@268MHz.
Still, a PS1 emu should be possible, even at a PoC level.

Clock speed is only part of the equation but not the entire answer. architecture, instruction set, etc all contribute to how fast emulators run. Once more, PSX isn't emulated, it's being virtualized.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs