Hacking 3DS decapping fundraising topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would this be contributing to 3DS homebrew and emulation as a whole?

Well, it's not for sure that 3DS homebrew and emulation will come out of this, but it's possible. A better answer might be :

How likely is this going to help progress?

It is not possible to give a clear answer on this until the 3DS SoC chip has been decapped. But consider the success story about the SNES decapping here. There is no 100% guarantee that we will have the same success story, since the technology is different and there might be more technological limitations. But we won't know until we try. We have a team of proven experts, anxious to have a very thorough look inside the SoC of the 3DS.
The most likely focus points will be:
  • the boot ROM, possibly containing flaws which allow us to take control of the system
  • secret keys, hidden in hardware, used in cryptographic operations
  • secret algorithms, implemented in hardware to obscure information
  • and possibly much more

zippy1979

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
What is the latest total, I got confirmation that my contribution has been paid in, and the total has not been updated, where are we at people?

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently, $583.28. Has been stuck there for quite a bit already :(
Most likely because the donation method is using Skrill. Those who don't have an account with them have to go through the trouble of registration then doing the actual donation. The process should be easy and fast.

I propose using Google Checkout, Amazon Payments, or Paypal.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most likely because the donation method is using Skrill. Those who don't have an account with them have to go through the trouble of registration then doing the actual donation. The process should be easy and fast.

They were using PayPal to begin with, the account was frozen for receiving too many funds too quickly.
He may not even get the funds back, or at least not for half a year or so.

Plainscript

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Agree. But without the Paypal option.

Maybe add Bitcoin as an option? Got some lying around, probably worth 20EUR total or something and willing to donate that.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, it's a donation drive. What is there to trust?

The lab I got the quote from is "Evans Analytical Group". The job ID we have registered ( to get the price quote in the first place ) is E0CGZ472Q1.

I wanted to also add a link to this thread from 3DBrew but asked if somebody else would do it instead ( so it's not just me endorsing myself ). We'll see what happens.

I didn't just create this topic out of nowhere and made sure it was kosher with the other users on 3dbrew. fyi

edit: That actually sounds like a decent idea but what would we offer up for raffle that would be worth it?

I think a lot of people would love to get hold of the 3ds which was decapped, especially if it's going to open doors and since they'd have the one 3DS that made the 3DS scene progress.
In my opinion it's pretty valuable just in that, if that could be possible anyway. That or just a regular 3DS or something, then it's keeping it "topical" so to speak.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would this be contributing to 3DS homebrew and emulation as a whole?

Chip decapping leads to a better understanding of the inner workings of a chip, if the developers know a system better than they can manipulate it better which means this *COULD* potentially lead to progress in enabling homebrew

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Chip decapping leads to a better understanding of the inner workings of a chip, if the developers know a system better than they can manipulate it better which means this *COULD* potentially lead to progress in enabling homebrew

Well if you know what's inside of it then there is a pretty high % of hacking it.

RukaRoaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be more than happy to donate, however I do not have a job as of right now nor do I have any form of credit or debit card. Will donate when I can! I will try to help spread the word!

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Just a quick mention,
if it will be ever hacked, it would be very expensive to get yours like that too. Maybe some unit may cost $200 for you to hack yours.
So a suggestion, try to make a flashcart.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just a quick mention,
if it will be ever hacked, it would be very expensive to get yours like that too. Maybe some unit may cost $200 for you to hack yours.
So a suggestion, try to make a flashcart.

Heck no!! xD. This will reveal some interesting stuff, like some encryption keys, or booting algorithms, it needs to be done only once in one system... not every time on every system.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Heck no!! xD. This will reveal some interesting stuff, like some encryption keys, or booting algorithms, it needs to be done only once in one system... not every time on every system.

Yes, it first needs to be done in one system.
You didn't get what I meant, after it's hacked on that system and they know how to do it. It may cost a lot to get the others hacked too. So after it's hacked in one system, if they have the info or whatever they need, they can make a flashcart to play 3DS roms or so

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, it first needs to be done in one system.
You didn't get what I meant, after it's hacked on that system and they know how to do it. It may cost a lot to get the others hacked too. So after it's hacked in one system, if they have the info or whatever they need, they can make a flashcart to play 3DS roms or so

What about releasing signed homebrew, so you'll only need to copy the files to your SD card, turn on your 3DS and... there it is, a new app in the Home Menu.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Decapping the SoC will exponentially increase the chances of finding an exploit, and therefore a 'hack' but I highly doubt things like private keys will be found there, which is required for signed homebrew. However, the chance of unsigned homebrew resulting from information from the decapping is expected to be high. We still don't know much, and we will never unless we get this thing decapped.

As well, the emulation scene might be able to get a kick out of this too. I highly doubt that we'll see a 3DS emulator soon, but this may put them in the right direction.

xdemi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you guys need paypal, google checkout etc. why not just make a 2 page pdf on e-junkie and use that to raise funds?

EDIT: I assume the fundraising total is manually edited - just going by the html coding on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-