1. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    Outside of the initial setup on the rpi, you don't need the buttons once you setup the display config the way you want it.

I got mine working on the "2018-03-13-raspbian-stretch-lite.img", it beats paying 200 or so to get a premade one.

2. RubyOtaku

OP RubyOtaku GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yeah I know, I just want to try and get them working if I can you know? Its the last thing I need to do.

3. libbyfishandchips

Newcomer

United Kingdom
  4. WillowTheWhisper

Newcomer

United States
    Yeah, in my experience Merki really wants you to buy one of his overpriced "TV kits" and is supremely unhelpful with actually getting the software setup by yourself. I managed to get in touch with the guy that actually built the software to get it working.

It won't run on a completely up to date Raspbian for some reason, you have to use the 2020-05-27-raspios-buster-lite-armhf.img Raspbian image and not run updates. Then to install the dependencies:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update -y
    sudo apt-get install -y libdrm-dev libgdm-dev libgles2-mesa libegl1-mesa-dev

You should be able to run the viewer software then.

Notably, there's an updated version of the capture software that isn't linked on Merki's website which I've attached here. I'll also attach the translated README to this post though so all interested parties can get the button pinout.

If anybody needs an image that you can just flash to an SD card and get up and running, feel free to DM me and I'll grab you an image of my Pi.

Attached Files:

5. RubyOtaku

United Kingdom
    Cheers, yeah Merki was very shitty about anyone doing any builds or asking for advice. I even got banned. I remember getting this working, just waiting on getting my 3ds back from a friend

6. WillowTheWhisper

Newcomer

United States
    Once he's got your money he's pretty content with not providing any kind of support, it seems. That's a real shame, given that he's the only option to get N3DS capture cards installed. One of these days I'll make a "definitive guide" to capture your 3DS in all kinds of ways and how to get the Pi running for it.

7. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Well, there is money involved that why he will be all picky about it, true that his price tag for one is ridiculous, people were willing to pay since it is out of stock. Can't says that he sold a shitty product, as it is well built since I bought one from him.

8. WillowTheWhisper

Newcomer

United States
    I can't attest to his TV kits as I haven't bought one, but I will agree that they look very nice. I've rigged up my own equivalent with some jumper cables and a breadboard and it works well enough for me.

There is money involved, but it's still an incredibly low quality of service despite that. He doesn't offer the latest version of the RPI capture software on his website (he's about 2 large revisions behind) and his instructions for using it are minimal at best. He claims that he provides working beta software for RPi and Mac, and I can't confirm the Mac side of things, but the instructions and revision he provides for the RPi viewer software simply do not work together.

I think that probably the biggest point of contention here is that it's a Linux build in discussion. If he provided old and broken versions of the Windows viewer software and told you that you have to buy a custom built and preconfigured PC from him to use it at all, there would be riots.

So then why are Linux and Mac users an afterthought here? We're fairly used to hearing "that doesn't run on your system," and dealing with it, but "it does run on your system but I refuse to tell you how unless you give me $200" is horrendous. Either provide working software, or claim you don't support it and tell the customer they have to buy a prebuilt machine. Claiming to support it but not actually doing that so that you can charge your users more money is shady business practice at best.

9. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    https://www.merki.net/info/?lang=en&v=7516fd43adaa#tv-kit

Can't blame Merki as the viewer software he provided was done by Katsukity.

10. WillowTheWhisper

Newcomer

United States
    It was indeed, but he didn't even bother to update which version of it he listed on his website any time in the past 2 years despite updating the Windows version. That aside, I don't intend to hijack this thread with my grievances with Stefan Merki - apologies for getting derailed there.

The offer still remains though - if you need assistance getting the Raspberry Pi viewer software set up and my previous instructions didn't work for you, feel free to message me and we'll get you hooked up.

RubyOtaku and Hayato213 like this.
  11. Aheago

Aheago Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Can you still buy these capture cards? The website seems to lead to a 404 page

12. WillowTheWhisper

Newcomer

United States
    Unfortunately they are currently out of stock, and there's no news from the person that makes them about another round. Your best bet is buying a console with a capture card preinstalled on Ebay.

13. RubyOtaku

United Kingdom
    Pretty much!! Another reason why I started a business for modding them myself. Already installed around 10 systems now 20210312_210020.jpg

WillowTheWhisper likes this.
  14. Aheago
    This message by Aheago has been removed from public view by WeedZ, Mar 13, 2021, Reason: Not the trading area.
    Mar 13, 2021
  15. barronwaffles

barronwaffles GBAtemp Fan

Syria
    Aheago likes this.
  16. Aheago

Aheago Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
  17. RubyOtaku
    This message by RubyOtaku has been removed from public view by WeedZ, Mar 13, 2021, Reason: Not trading area. No advertising in general forums.
    Mar 13, 2021
  18. WillowTheWhisper
    This message by WillowTheWhisper has been removed from public view by WeedZ, Mar 13, 2021, Reason: Not trading area.
    Mar 13, 2021
  19. RubyOtaku
    This message by RubyOtaku has been removed from public view by WeedZ, Mar 13, 2021, Reason: Not trading area.
    Mar 13, 2021
  20. WillowTheWhisper
    This message by WillowTheWhisper has been removed from public view by WeedZ, Mar 13, 2021, Reason: Not trading area.
    Mar 13, 2021
  21. RubyOtaku
    This message by RubyOtaku has been removed from public view by WeedZ, Mar 13, 2021, Reason: Not trading area.
    Mar 13, 2021
  22. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

United States
    Be careful with advertising and trading. Advertising is not allowed in the general forums without the expressed consent of staff. Trading is limited to the trading area which is accessible only when a user has contributed enough to the forums.

23. RubyOtaku

United Kingdom
    Ah apologies, yeah I only linked it since it was asked for.

WeedZ likes this.
  24. WillowTheWhisper

Newcomer

United States
    Very sorry about that, I'll avoid doing so in the future.

WeedZ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - raspberry, capture, setup