3DS and the internet

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by BenRK, Dec 5, 2011.

Dec 5, 2011

3DS and the internet by BenRK at 12:06 AM (685 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. BenRK
    OP

Member BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I got a 3DS today with some birthday money I got on.. well.. my birthday! To make the deal sweeter, next week, I'm getting $30 off a game next Sunday, so OOT here I come!!!

Anyway, that's besides the point. For some reason, my 3DS doesn't get along with my router very well for some reason. Sometimes it will connect, but sometimes it refuses to, giving me an error. Has anyone else had this issue?

This really springs up in the eshop, where half the time I can't even connect. I did manage to get Netflix downloaded, and this is very exciting for me, as I've been needing another Netflix capable device for some time now (can't really move my TV into my room and back again). But it's sllllllllllow as heck, and doesn't load anything most of the time...

What is going on?

I have a WRT120N router with WPA2 security.

2. 310301288

Newcomer 310301288 Advanced Member

Canada
    theres two things you can do:

1. google it up, with your router specifications, and do some trial and error, worst comes to worst your wireless is screwed up.

2. Call nintendo and ask them for help, something similar happened to me with my old DS. They gave me a guided solution(tooke an hour or so) and i got it fixed.
    so yea, good luck! =D

3. The Masked Man

Newcomer The Masked Man Advanced Member

United States
    When I used my DS, I'd noticed that it would NEVER connect to my router when it had WPA2 on it.
    Maybe some sort of interference?
    I don't know, I'm all noob when it comes down to tech. :(

4. BenRK
    OP

United States
    Excuse me, I meant WRT120N, not WUSB120N. My mistake.

5. BenRK
    OP

United States
    Just got netflix working, but it's slow as heck loading. Once I'm in a video it works just fine.

6. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Netflix searching on mobile devices are usually slow from what I hear, but playback of videos is just fine.

7. BenRK
    OP

United States
    It's not that slow on my iPod... Or my PS3, or even the Wii.

8. spark1223

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think I might know what the issue is. Some new routers have hybrid form of security. It works on some devices, but I had the exact aame issue you did with a quest modem that would change security to wep/wpa/wpa2 depending on the device. Set the security to WPA or WEP. Then thry it out.

9. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Allow me to be of assistance, Now when you set up your wi-fi connection did you set it to auto obtain everything, or did you actually punch in all the info? When I got my 3DS I used to have the problem where it would connect to Wi-Fi and load some things but it would register me online for street fighter or my friends list. If you enter in the information manually instead of auto obtain it should work.

10. BenRK
    OP

United States
    Ok, looks like the issue wasn't my router or even my 3DS. Looks like my ISP was having issues today. Still going down off and on all over my apartment. Thankfully Netflix is working. It's still slow as heck though...

11. pmk010

Member pmk010 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    With a DS it is not compatable with WPA(2). Only DSi's and 3DS's are so that is not the problem. :D