360 motion-sensing on the way

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by twisteddeeds, May 13, 2009.

May 13, 2009
  1. twisteddeeds
    OP

Member twisteddeeds GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

360 motion-sensing on the way, says Wall Street Journal

In case you needed any more of a hint that Microsoft’s about to announce a motion-sensing device for 360, the Wall Street Journal, citing “people familiar with the matter,” has said that “Microsoft Corp. is developing a new videocamera for the Xbox 360 console that will allow players to control games with the movement of their bodies”.

“Unlike the Wii,” says this report, “the Microsoft camera won’t require users to hold any hardware to control on-screen action, the people familiar with the matter said. The camera would sit near the television and capture when players move their hands, legs or head.”

[​IMG]

source

Could the next big console war be over motion sensing?

after all sony did patent this last year:

[​IMG]

all to compete with Motion plus???

i dont know i would prefer them all to concentrate on the games

2. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    so kinda like the eye toy

3. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    Easy sabotaging [​IMG]

This shows how successful motion sensing gameplay on the wii is. Maybe ninty will release some better motion sensing games on the wii now that there is competition....

4. frantier123

Member frantier123 GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124215416209111679.html

I dun think this report makes sense. If it really allows any "plastic" rod to be held, then how many players would that particular game support? If it only support up to 4 players, let's say an extra player swing a plastic rod, won't it affect the overall gameplay?

Thus, in my opnion, using webcam without a marker for the webcam to catch the motion would only destroy the whole gameplay, not enhance it, even if it is 100% more precise than Ninty's Wii remote.

5. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Hahah. Eye-toy ripoff.
    You fail BIG TIME mr. Microsoft.
    Go ahead and cry.

6. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Wonder why they have to release a whole new camera? What's wrong with the 360 Vision Cam?

And I just can't see this having the same accuracy or enjoyment as physically holding something. It would feel weird...

7. Domination

Singapore
    Microsoft was smarter when Bill Gates was at the absolute helm.... Seriously? A plastic rod?

8. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    I think it would be better without the wiimote in your hands, well, all we can do is wait for it to be released I guess...

9. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Everything indicates that this uses the same technology as 3DV's Z-Cam (Microsoft bought the company earlier this year), which is not a simple cam like the Eyetoy, it's a infra-red cam that can capture depth, it has a lot more precision and it doesn't have so many problems with ilumination and colors like the Eyetoy had.

video demonstration:

I think this can be great for some games, but unfortunately, I feel that most developers will be blinded by the Wii use of motion, and use it only to make crappy minigames and Wii Sports clones. :/

10. frantier123

Member frantier123 GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Hmm...It is really hard to guess what does FPS looks like with this. After all, XBox belong to the hardcore category.

P/S: I suppose that this cam only support single player gameplay?

11. --JoCa--

Member --JoCa-- GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    It was only me who noticed the guy on the first post? He's some funny face XD

12. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    EyeToy Ripoff!
    They could also get the idea from Wario Ware Snapped.

13. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    [​IMG] i wish they could start thinking about how to solve the problem of RROD than make cameras [​IMG]

14. Commadore64

Member Commadore64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I wonder what games MS will come out with to use this?
    Residental Evil where you can rip apart infected zombie people?
    Mortal Kombat that senses hand gestures to launch your special attacks?

I hope that they port over the best Wii game ever to this

15. Domination

Singapore
    Was that sacarsm?

But im sure their motion sensing games cant compare with Ninty's very own Mario Kart and Super Mario Galaxy

16. Commadore64

Member Commadore64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    sarcasm was the last line - that game just irk's me.... I mean WTF were they marketing to? Nevermind...nevermind

I dont think MS or Sony are going to even mess with Mario {insert noun here} fanchises. Like Nin will licenses it to them..right?

I believe each system caters to certain demographics - so nintendo will have their line up, MS will do their own thing.
    *and before anyone goes "ohhh but they copied motion sensing"... does that mean nin copied Dreamcast fishing rod to make the Wiimote? NO... do they accomplish same task of adding another type of controller - YES

Dont worry - nintendo isnt going to disappear because MS has a camera that does something similar to Wiimote. I have a 360 and unless there is more than some boxing games or rehash of Wii Sports... I wont get it. Ripping apart zombies and mortal kombat - I would consider getting one. Some tpye of Virtual media center...75% chance I'd get it
    No question nintendo dominates motion sensor stuff...but outside of Wii Sports, Clone Wars and Spiderman.... most of the rest is waggle or you use it as a steering wheel.

and competition is a good thing to consumers... you should be happy. We all benefit from competition

17. godsakes

Member godsakes GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    MS's eye toy looks quite good in that vid, but with only your body/limbs as controls i don't see how you could make a game much more complex than wii sports. I don't see how you could translate say the controls for zelda using just the camera sensor