Hacking 2 different NAND sizes for N3DS?

crimpshrine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there 2 different versions of the NAND for N3DS?

All documents I see when searching reference a 1.3 Gig size on N3DS.

I have 3 N3DS units here, 2 were 1.3 Gig when dumped, but one was 1.9 Gig (Hyrule N3DS)

BDS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What did you use to dump your NANDs? EMUNAND9 gave me a 1.84GiB bin. When I backup my EmuNAND with EMUNAND9 or EmuNANDTool I get a 1.84GiB bin. If I use the rxTools menu, it gives me a 1.21GiB bin. I'm more confident in backups made with EMUNAND9 or EmuNANDTool...

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They used 2 different chips when making N3DS's. Not too sure why. If you look at the NAND chips you can see different writing on them. IIRC one is a Toshiba, and the other is a Samsung.

Reactions: Tony_93

Amadren

Pasta Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah you're right, forgot it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They used 2 different chips when making N3DS's. Not too sure why. If you look at the NAND chips you can see diffeerent writing on them. IIRC one is a Toshiba, and the other is a Samsung.
Same for the 3DS and 2DS. Just sayin'

crimpshrine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What did you use to dump your NANDs? EMUNAND9 gave me a 1.84GiB bin. When I backup my EmuNAND with EMUNAND9 or EmuNANDTool I get a 1.84GiB bin. If I use the rxTools menu, it gives me a 1.21GiB bin. I'm more confident in backups made with EMUNAND9 or EmuNANDTool...

Gateway menu to dump the NAND.

I am going to confirm with one of the other tools.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same for the 3DS and 2DS. Just sayin'
In the case of the new 3DS they have models with a toshiba chip and models with a samsung chip. When dumping, they are different sizes. Whatever is preinstalled has no bearing. There is no difference in operation/use.

Last edited by hundshamer,

crimpshrine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They used 2 different chips when making N3DS's. Not too sure why. If you look at the NAND chips you can see different writing on them. IIRC one is a Toshiba, and the other is a Samsung.

So one of these chips is 1.3 Gig in size total, and the other 1.9 Gig in size? I have not actually opened my N3DS units so I don't know what maker for each NAND chip.

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EMUNAND9 gave me a 1.84GiB bin. When I backup my EmuNAND with EMUNAND9 or EmuNANDTool I get a 1.84GiB bin. If I use the rxTools menu, it gives me a 1.21GiB bin. I'm more confident in backups made with EMUNAND9 or EmuNANDTool...
Then rxtools doesn't seem to recognize the 'big' nand chip properly it seems..

Last edited by TheShadowRunner,

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then rxtools doesn't seem to recognize the 'big' nand chip properly it seems..
I am supposing that rxTools only reads the programming size (which should be the same no matter the NAND size). It's like having a 600MB program on a CD or DVD. Decrypt9 and emuNAND tool records all the unused space (700MB or 4.7GB), where rxTools grabs the program (600MB).

Last edited by hundshamer,

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am supposing that rxTools only reads the programming size (which should be the same no matter the NAND size). It's like having a 600MB program on a CD or DVD. Decrypt9 and emuNAND tool records all the unused space, where rxTools grabs the program.
It crossed my mind. I hope your supposition is right ^^;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: