Recent content by wavemotion

  1. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    Ah! I was thinking about that some weeks back... I guess I decided that PSG was kinda the default (and really, the PSG is always there even with SCC or MSX-MUSIC). But yeah, I could add it.
  2. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    Okay... I found the github site for that translation and I verified the CRCs and re-patched the original file so I know I've got a clean English patch. So far no issues... I'm only really able to go into 3 buildings in the first area and then go out to the field to get my ass handed to me... so...
  3. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    @esv_83 - what do you mean by 'ensure that lyrics are displayed' ? Unrelated: I've been all over Ys I (whatever (en) translation I got from Filehunter site) and can't seem to reproduce the color problem. It's Screen 5 which doesn't even have a translation layer beyond the normal palette mapping...
  4. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    @Cris1997XX - can you retest on the latest Hachibitto? So many changes it's hard to remember when and where colors got touched. I'll try it here as well.
  5. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    The good news is that there is something in place that, even very imperfect, gives us a baseline to start from. Open-Source things can get improved... though the amount of people still developing for the venerable handhelds can probably be counted on one hand. Maybe we can get @FluBBa deeply...
  6. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    Honestly no idea. Me and sound drivers aren't exactly on speaking terms. I generally do all coding myself (so I'm the one to blame for any shortcomings!) but I had to resort to Claude.AI and ChatGPT to get a semi-functional MSX-MUSIC driver. All I can really do with it is say "no, that sounds...
  7. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    Version 1.1 is available: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/Hachibitto Version 1.1 - 03-Oct-2026 by wavemotion-dave Improved speed across the board. Fixed screen 8 sprite colors. Improved MSX-MUSIC on DSi ... still far from perfect. Screen 7 Zoom-and-Pan mode added (magnifying glass). Other...
  8. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    Version 1.0d is available and adds a new Zoom icon for Screen 7 games. Many of the big sprawling RPGs are rendered in Screen 7 which is 512 pixels wide and has to be reduced to 256 pixels for the DS/DSi. While this looks fine for main gameplay elements, sometimes the text / status areas can be...
  9. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    Version 1.0c is uploaded to github with a big optmization to the Z80 core that bought me 5% CPU processing improvement. This helps render many more games playable on DS-Lite. For many of the MSX1 games, I've turned off Frame Skip on the DS-Lite completley as we can now render those games...
  10. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    Using one of my other emulators a a logical argument for changes to this one... Adaptation, Improvisation... good. Actung!! I had to put out a hotfix and the new release is 1.0a. This hotfix patches a Config Save issue that was largely affecting the DS-Lite/Phat but I'd appreciate anyone...
  11. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    The 3DS has a lower screen resolution of 320 x 240 pixels... and all I have is 256x192. And they appear to be using every pixel :)
  12. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    Version 1.0 is released! https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/Hachibitto I added Arkanoid paddle controls for the two games that use it (Arkanoid I and Arkanoid II). Faster game loading - I was computing the SHA1 twice and on big games that was taking extra seconds. More clenup and...
  13. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    Version 0.9h uploaded to github. This is very close to a 1.0 release. SCC fixed (noise was present on some games). Disk Write fixed (games like Randar would not load previously). Tons of smaller fixes, accuracy improvements and cleanup. We finally got to a point where it's highly unusual for...
  14. wavemotion

    HACHIBITTO - An MSX2 Fantasy Console

    I just uploaded version 0.9e with two changes. 2xPSG is supported - though it's not as great as I hoped. Most of the games that take advantage of it are classic games with a bit extra sound effects but it comes at a cost since the original games were already taxing the system so the hacks tend...