Hacking Acekard 2 vs Edge

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, due to price and ease of use I've whittled my choices down to these 2 cards.

They're both bargains but I only need one. So which is it to be? Can those more 'in the know' tell me if there is a clear advantage to either one over the other?

Cheers guys!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Acekard 2 has several significant advantages over the Edge, including a much nicer menu system and the fact that the Edge's microSD card often sticks out a little bit.

BUT...

There have been some problems with recent batches of the Acekard 2. The problem seems to have been resolved in the latest batches, but you will still want to buy from a reputable seller who will allow you to exchange your Acekard 2 for a new one if you happen to have any problems with it.

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Deal Extreme is good, as long as you're willing to wait a couple or three weeks. They have the best prices, and if you happen to get a bad one they've been good about replacing them.

What size microSD card are you looking at? Kingston Japanese is good if you're looking at 2GB and under. If you're looking at 4GB or higher, get a class 6 microSDHC card.

-Bri

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks! Well, going from the library of games that I've started accruing on my PC the last few hours, a big one looks necessary!

I figured I'll have to wait a while but at the price that those guys charge I can't argue.

As far as SD cards go, the shop I'm most likely to be buying from are SVP as I have an order to make anyway - if anyone has any recommendations from the list, I'm all ears: http://svp.co.uk/searchresults.php?sSrch=4...p;Submit=Search

...if you recommend one of the ones that's pricer then I'll have to go for the 2GB ones though.

Finally, any tips on familiarising myself with the flash card prior to it arriving? Can I download and use the software to prep everything, and can data be loaded onto the card with my own adapter or do I need the Acekard adaptor?

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks, but unfortunately, I live in the UK and NewEgg doesn't ship internationally.

Googling as resulted in a rather hefty price of £25/$50 for that card over here so if someone could tell me what is generally need for a decent micro SD?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think any class 6 SDHC should work fine, groovemeister. But you might want to look at the Acekard forum to see if you can find any recommendations of specific microSDHC cards for the AK2.

-Bri

lurbi

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Tanas said:
I agree the Acekard 2 is better than The Edge and Dealextreme are bastards...

Ahem .... who wrote that dealextreme are bastards??
And why??

They are slow. And they are cheap.

So you can decide if you want to buy from them and wait.

But other than their slowness, I have not yet found something bad about them.

Or do you mean the whole CycloDS on DX story??
Reread that.
Team Cyclops threatened DX, so they hiked up the price.
TC threatened the reseller, and he did not deliver to DX.
Not much that Dealextreme could have done.
And face it ... the demand for a 36$ genuine CycloDS was huge ...
what could they have done, when you have a backlog of many thousands of cyclo orders, and the reseller breaks his word, and does not deliver!

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
DealExtreme are Great & imho EDGE is the king of the budget cards,all this clone talk is rubbish the main thing it works & does perform much better than all budget cards & has superb built quality.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DX is a good store. Cheap and not so fast, but i got my package within 8 Business days to australia 10 days all up. If you want cheap price over wait time, go for DX. Many people have been warned about slow shipping time from DX YET they complain about it after ordering and start bashing DX.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.