Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay, first of all, if you're looking for the dark, underground Need For Speed games, don't bother looking at this game (and possibly the next too). It's now much more of a happy-go-lucky series than before. Also, it's become a bit like Burnout, or Sideswiped for that matter. To me, it changed for the better, but that might be just cause I like games like these.

Menus: Simple, yet effective. You won't have any trouble finding what you're looking for. 9.5/10

Story: Non-existent. But it isn't necessary at all. 5/10

Graphics: Cars look great, racing tracks look good, objects look weird, but cool. There's also a bunch of nice lighting effects. 9/10

Music: Some songs are decent, the rest are shit. I played the E version, there's supposed to be different songs in the U one though. 3/10

Gameplay: You won't find a lot of racers that are more fun than this one. Seriously. You 'tag' the environment you drive in by driving through rings (you can make the tags yourself, or choose from a bunch of premade ones). You can do stunt moves, smash police cars, use your turbo (nitro?) to boost if you're a bit behind, you can smash lots of objects on the way, you can collect collectables and you can jump over other cars, which is pwn. The controls are smooth, there's no slowdown, the textures are correct. There aren't a lot of tracks, but all of them are well made. And you can completely customize your car. 9/10

Multiplayer: Kewl. No slowdown at all. 8.5/10

Replay value: Not really, unless you want to collect all trophies and collectables. 4/10

Overall: Really nice game, with some flaws. I say go this way from now on, EA. 8/10

And if you want to know the coolest track in the game:
The moon.

Images (Credit to Gamespot):

957704_20090601_screen002.jpg

Smashing police cars

957704_20090709_screen003.jpg

Smashing objects

957704_20090709_screen001.jpg

Just driving

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess the slowdown I see is because I play it on a flashcard? Because I see the framerate vary a lot as I play. Not a deal breaker, but there all the same.

But I do agree it's a fun arcade racer for the DS. Wacky stunts and the overblown designs on the cars are cool. The graphics, while not the best I've seen on a DS racer, are good enough so that you don't get lost on the tracks. Those "hit the X button" maneuvers are fun. I had fun with this game, seems a bit on the easy side though. Didn't actually beat it yet.....got into other games.....you know how it is....I seem to do that with most games these days.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree with this review
For some reason this was the first handheld racing game i actually liked and i was amazed! I loved the soundtrack because it wasnt just 3 songs just looping. The jumping over stuff is awesome, the different modes are quite fun and the self tag making is fun

I made the awesome smiley as mine

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nfs nitro is one of the best racing games for the ds in my opinion, though the wii version of it isn't as good as it is:. the car models are nice, the tracks are on an adequate good level, the only thing which could have been better are the destruction races in which you have to destroy objects on the racing track, they simply don't make fun,
apart from that, good game

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Rayder said:
So I guess the slowdown I see is because I play it on a flashcard? Because I see the framerate vary a lot as I play. Not a deal breaker, but there all the same.

But I do agree it's a fun arcade racer for the DS. Wacky stunts and the overblown designs on the cars are cool. The graphics, while not the best I've seen on a DS racer, are good enough so that you don't get lost on the tracks. Those "hit the X button" maneuvers are fun. I had fun with this game, seems a bit on the easy side though. Didn't actually beat it yet.....got into other games.....you know how it is....I seem to do that with most games these days.
Hmm, weird, I play it on my DSOnei with zero lag, maybe it depends on the flashcart?

And yeah, it was a bit easy, forgot to mention that.

QUOTE(zeromac @ Jan 23 2010, 12:22 PM) I agree with this review
For some reason this was the first handheld racing game i actually liked and i was amazed! I loved the soundtrack because it wasnt just 3 songs just looping. The jumping over stuff is awesome, the different modes are quite fun and the self tag making is fun

I made the awesome smiley as mine
rofl2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn