Hacking Random freezing

DJ Hobo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had my Supercard DS One (SDHC), for about 6-7 months now (with a Sandisk 4GB class 2, if that matters). Anywho, for the first few months, things were working flawlessly.

However, one day, one of my games decides to freeze randomly while playing (I think it was FIFA 08). I turned off the DS, chose another game, and one of three things would happen:

1. I'd get a couple of white screens,
2. I'd get a couple of black screens or
3. The game would start up, but then would freeze some minutes later (anywhere between 2-3 minutes to 10-15 after launching).

This seems to happen every 3-4 weeks. Normally, I'd combat this issue by simply leaving the DS and Supercard switched off for a while (about 12 hours or more) and then come back to it. Each time, the problem would go away, only to come back 3-4 weeks later.

Last night, I tried launching Clubhouse Games to play a friend on Wi-Fi. It gave me white screens. I tried again. More white screens. My friend suggested copying the file back onto the MicroSD. I did it, and it worked. Nonetheless, I thought it was better to simply leave the DS for a while anyway.

So this morning, I tried launching Call of Duty - World at War. It would either give me black screens, or freeze during the licensing menu, which would result in black screens anyway. And now, none of my games are working (but homebrew works fine).

What's going on? What could the problem be? Is the MicroSD the problem? I know for sure that the Supercard is a legit one, and that there is no psram error.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

DJ Hobo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
geedub said:
contacts ? have you tried cleaning contacts / jamming card in with a bit of paper , to make better contact ?
No, I haven't.. is there any particular way I should go about it?

geedub

Trophies
XP
Country
hi mate , the first thing to do , as you obviously know what your doing , is save all your files and format the card , then copy all your files over again ! make sure it isnt full aswell !

as for the contacts , you can get contact cleaner , and clean the contacts on the card and the micro sd card ! another alternative is to use a pencil eraser , but mind and do it gently !

as for the paper , remember there are 2 points of contact , so i would try and jam paper in to help both contacts ! ie sd to card and card to ds ! ( obviously lol )

has to be worth a try format and contacts ! ( when i read your post i assumed you had formatted the card and copied all the files over , but reading through again it seems just one rom ? )

see how you get on

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Doesnt sound like a contact issue. More like the infamous PSRAM issue. Play the Supercard until it starts freezing. Then reset your DS and hold L+R+up while it's booting, before it gets past the Nintendo logo. A series of tests will be performed. See if any PSRAM issues are reported.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
It has happened to me too but I updated the firmware and everything was working fine
smile.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Searinox said:
Doesnt sound like a contact issue. More like the infamous PSRAM issue. Play the Supercard until it starts freezing. Then reset your DS and hold L+R+up while it's booting, before it gets past the Nintendo logo. A series of tests will be performed. See if any PSRAM issues are reported.
He said he knew it wasn't the PSRAM error in the top post, so I guess it rules that out.

In a related thing, I suggest using the triple loader to boot the DSTT firmware. Try your games out on that firmware and see if they still mess up. If so, it's the entire card that's defective. I managed to bypass the PSRAM error problems by using the DSTT engine, so if your games work, you may have an error that the card fails to detect.

DJ Hobo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
geedub said:
hi mate , the first thing to do , as you obviously know what your doing , is save all your files and format the card , then copy all your files over again ! make sure it isnt full aswell !

as for the contacts , you can get contact cleaner , and clean the contacts on the card and the micro sd card ! another alternative is to use a pencil eraser , but mind and do it gently !

as for the paper , remember there are 2 points of contact , so i would try and jam paper in to help both contacts ! ie sd to card and card to ds ! ( obviously lol )

has to be worth a try format and contacts ! ( when i read your post i assumed you had formatted the card and copied all the files over , but reading through again it seems just one rom ? )

see how you get on
Well, the MicroSD had been formatted when I first got it. Although in my first post, yes, I only talked about re-copying one file.

Oh, and also, where do I get contact cleaner?

granville said:
Searinox said:
He said he knew it wasn't the PSRAM error in the top post, so I guess it rules that out.

In a related thing, I suggest using the triple loader to boot the DSTT firmware. Try your games out on that firmware and see if they still mess up. If so, it's the entire card that's defective. I managed to bypass the PSRAM error problems by using the DSTT engine, so if your games work, you may have an error that the card fails to detect.
I've tried checking for the PSRAM problem several times, but nothing has ever showed up.

To be honest, I never thought about using the DSTT firmware.. I'll download the triple boot loader and see if it solves the problem.

EDIT - I've installed the DSTT menu. For every game bar 1 (Tony Hawk's American Sk8land) I get an error message upon launch. I'm not sure if this is related to the other problem, or if it has something to do with the way i installed the files, but the error message says:

[Rom loading failed]
disk errcode=-2147483632

Please reset the system.

Uhmmm... so... any thoughts?
huh.gif

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I guess you figured it out yourself. If I were you I'd exchange the microSD for another. I've had one die on me before. Also, apologies for not posting relevantly. While I did indeed read your post I started doing something else and by the time I replied I had already forgotten. >.=.o

DJ Hobo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Searinox said:
I guess you figured it out yourself. If I were you I'd exchange the microSD for another. I've had one die on me before. Also, apologies for not posting relevantly. While I did indeed read your post I started doing something else and by the time I replied I had already forgotten. >.=.o
Well I have a 1GB Sandisk in my phone. I tested it in the Supercard, and the same problem occurs

geedub said:
QUOTE(glowy @ Nov 5 2008, 10:13 AM) I had the same problem, formatting with panasonic sd formatter solved it.
Also make sure you got a clean rom. Trimmed (the wrong way) roms sometimes give this error.

Quote taken from this thread
All my ROMs are clean and untrimmed (according to Rominator). The 4GB MicroSD is already formatted in FAT32 (isn't this the ideal format?). I have a Mac, and I don't know how to reformat the MicroSD. Can anyone help? I read somewhere that the Disk Utility can do it, but I don't know how.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?