Fix the damn search thing.

Sir-Fritz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ARGH the stupid search button (the one at the top of the page near the wiki button) is still as pathetic as always. It seems to think almost all words that are entered have less than 4 letters such as the phrase "hadrian vvoltz". This needs to be fixed pronto so that searching the forum becomes much easier and faster than going through page by page. /rant

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have to agree, this silly google search is terrible. I don't understand why you are using it in place of the normal search (not sure what forum software you use though)

well, unless you have problems with database load, or are that desperate for ad revenue. (for the laymen here, yes, google does pay this site for using its search, or specifically if you click an ad that comes up on the search)

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
UltraMagnus said:
I have to agree, this silly google search is terrible. I don't understand why you are using it in place of the normal search (not sure what forum software you use though)

well, unless you have problems with database load, or are that desperate for ad revenue. (for the laymen here, yes, google does pay this site for using its search, or specifically if you click an ad that comes up on the search)

YES we have problems with database load.
And NO, this is ridiculous, google doesn't pay us! That's absurd.
We're simply using a search form that performs a "site:gbatemp.net %terms%" query.

Rehehelly

Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't have a clue what you were on about until I changed skins

Use GBATemp classic.

I wonder if me saying that will make them change that search too.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Costello said:
We're simply using a search form that performs a "site:gbatemp.net %terms%" query.

then you really should look into adsense for search then, the payouts arn't brilliant, but if your going to use google anyway
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Rehehelly @ Sep 24 2008, 03:41 PM) I didn't have a clue what you were on about until I changed skins

Use GBATemp classic.

I wonder if me saying that will make them change that search too.

thanks, will try that....

jampot5000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the forum as of when i checked has 1,060,328 posts and 119,926 registered members and can have upto 9000 members online not sure if this includes guests if it does it will be alot more, this can be very server intensive anyway, so using a search on a mysql table will only make this alot worse, i'm sure many of you have noticed the site can run slow with alot of people online this will be alot worse if only a 10th of them are searching.

and new posts won't show on google right away because google chooses when to visit sites to update and can take a long time to go through all the site.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since searching no longer works, I believe you can not blame people for making multiple topics on the same issue (not by the same person of course).

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
DieForIt said:
Costello said:
why are you saying searching no longer works? searching works fine.
It doesn't work on the gbatemp Lite version
frown.gif

hm, that is correct. Doesn't seem to work with this skin. I'll have someone look at it.

UltraMagnus said:
QUOTE(Costello @ Sep 24 2008, 03:31 PM)

then you really should look into adsense for search then, the payouts arn't brilliant, but if your going to use google anyway
rolleyes.gif

I appreciate the advice but we're a non-profit website. We don't need ads, our partnerships with shops are enough to cover our debts and finance our projects (as of today).

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Advanced search used to be under the lite skin's search button...
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&act=Se...ode=adv&f=0
The link itself works under the lite/v3 skins (fetched that link using the classic skin as mentioned above), just not linked to the pages anymore and I don't see it working (unless I'm just not seeing it despite clearing the cache and doing a forced reload) - always claims my search query is "One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters." meh, ohwell.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
cory1492 said:
Still works under the lite/v3 skins (fetched that link using the classic skin as mentioned above), just not linked to the pages anymore (unless I'm just not seeing it despite clearing the cache and doing a forced reload.)
Its not linked mainly because we want the Google search to be the default search as the forum's native search page can be resource heavy if everyone starts using it. By using Google, it takes off the stress from the server to process every search request.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
rofl2.gif

The only reason I know of the advanced search button on forums like this one is because google site searches generally don't work well (relavance, ie: searching for "soma bringer" comes up with 1250 hits), can't search by user/topic title and all around just bite. Well, I guess it's time to stop participating here then
frown.gif
it's starting to fill with idiocy with the expanded userbase, and that is definitely not going to get better if the on forum search can't tell users any more than google can.

Trust me though, I know about the server load it takes to do searches (especially when the db is a complete kludge of a monster mess.) While you're at "reducing server load" I suggest abandoning shoutbox - despite it being there those style of useless posts still wind up in the forum.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
using google is a bit of a pain, but manageable.

The main thing I hate about GBAtemp is that
wbyntu.png

33bmfxf.png

2ujr38n.png

wlyueh.png

you know the one, the one that just fucked up my dramatically large text that got your attention and made you finally remove it Costello

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ok now for real