Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's a poor argument though, it's just arguing semantics. Instead of theft you can call it acquisition of intellectual property through illegal means, if that rolls off your tongue easier. It's the action that is considered condemnable by some, not what you call it.
People on this board have a rather flexible opinion about the concept of intellectual property as well, if you remember the outrage at Team Xecuter for "stealing" open source code to use in their proprietary product.

I agree with you on the minor impact that piracy has on the profits of major companies though and that copyright law and related laws need reformation.
Yeah you're right, it's just semantics and in the end it doesn't even matter (
1709653517338.png
)

Good point about the Xecuter thing tho, I never made the connection.
I'm wondering why I would be mad at Xecuter stealing code from atmosphere but fine from downloading a game from Nintendo or whoever. Maybe that lies in the fact that I just support the games and franchises I really like when I have the means to.
I don't think Nintendo « needs my support », I find it pretty trashy from Xecuter to steal code to make their paid program better.
But you're right, thanks for making me think about that, it's important to not be hypocritical about stuff. Gotta be honest with myself and just say that I don't care that much when it's about a company that doesn't like their fans.

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the argument falls flat on its face when you realize that you actually need a hacked Switch to dump the game in the first place, which is how all games that had broken street dates were dumped. So if anything, it's Switch hardware itself that allows piracy, not Yuzu, since without it there'd be no game dumps from the get-go. You also need the keys dumped from an original Switch, so there's that too, and let's not forget that a great number of people also do piracy on hacked Switches.

My point exactly how legal is a Nintendo switch really i mean were walking around with them... Taking trips with them setting up in public places with these illegal keys :!: attached to them :download: loading said game or games LOL!!! But how the keys and emulation started??? Who's fault is that uuuuhhhh Nintendo's for fucking up at launch sending out 10 trillion wide open unpatchable switches :switch: Yet on a legal emulator the whole process becomes illegal because them so called illegal keys aren't being used on an Actual Switch :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: If yuzu team said this in courtroom they'd win easily but why they really ran for the hills??? The world may never know :unsure:

MayorBryce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh at this point, anything located in the US is at risk of getting struck down by Nintendo.
All developers that have even the most remote association with Nintendo stuff should be hosted elsewhere, and those that are for sure poking at the imbeciles at Nintendo, should without a doubt host in China or Russia to be absolutely safe.
Define "hosted". If you mean it should be developed in another country, not everyone has the ability to move to another country to develop a project or find people in another country to work on it.

If you mean for it to be file hosted in another country, devs can still get sued in the US.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Define "hosted". If you mean it should be developed in another country, not everyone has the ability to move to another country to develop a project or find people in another country to work on it.

If you mean for it to be file hosted in another country, devs can still get sued in the US.

I mean a GitHub counterpart located in those regions, or basically have the entire thing run on those countries, even if the dev lives elsewhere.
In this day and age of VPNs, nothing's impossible, you just need to host the things that might get you into the multi billion dollar assholes' killing list off in a place where their idiotic legalities don't have any merit.

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong but this almost feels like one of those anime betrayals where the good guy was working for the bad guys. Cause not only did they give up immediately they went and said a bunch of stuff that benefits nintendo specifically in their whole anti emulation campaign. Almost as if this was a long con nintendo plan to setup legal wins to get a case against emulation. I know it's not true but dear God does this feel like a load of bs that suddenly came out of left field and concluded to quickly in nintendos favor.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boo fucking hoo at nintendo losing money. they'll survive because they have their loyal sheep to buy their games no matter what even if it is the same games over and over or OLD ports at FULL price
To be fair, theres a few games im so happy were ported, remade, etc so I can play em portably on switch. Yeah it might be full price but I am also a bit picky now a days with what I buy so eh. Just cuz its old or remade doesnt make it bad.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's some serious copuim going on here today wow
Keep going man I'm sure somebody will care what you have to say eventually.
Anyway.

Yeah Citra will be back. There's no way the community will stop here. Me, I'm going to hack my 3DS even further beyond in protest. I'll make it sentient and think it's an iPod Shuffle.

petran79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yuzu made almost 30000 USD per month. For comparison Ryujinx makes 2000, same for even more demanding emulators with many contributors, like Rpcs3. While Citra just 330 a month. Xenia even less with 275 a month.

This was the straw that broke the camels back.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m too lazy to read this but this is an emulator and unless there is copyright code, there shouldn’t be any way for them to lose this case against nintendo. They don’t even provide the keys needed to make this work. I don’t get nintendo either, I think in the other thread they mentioned Zelda tears of the kingdom was basically one of the reasons for this case. I believe I said in that thread, why they took so long to go after this emulator, they even mentioned Zelda for lockpick at the time, for that I even said why they waited for firmware 17.0 to say something. This leaves me wondering if nintendo is just greedy for money right now or they are somehow going bankrupt.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Let's just say once again that a pirated copy does not necessarily equal a lost sale.
Post automatically merged:

You mean that millions of people have bought your game and one guy is playing it early because someone leaked it ? What a tragedy
(at most it was like, 4 days earlier, not 2 weeks)
In the case of TotK, it was really two weeks lol (but I do agree with you)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Almond Joys got nuts!