Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All depends on what the agreement was. If it say they have to post something like this, they have to post something like this.
still in my consious i would disobay that stipulation (and go to jail) because what nintendo wants me to say is flat out false (Do I lie?) yes but i refuse to parrot some ideology of some shitty multibillion dollor company

Reactions: cloud-strife777

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Welp, to the high seas i go, and i will never buy new again.
Very conflicted on the matter. On the one hand, my kids thoroughly enjoy their Switch and the games on it. On the other hand, I'm kind of over financially supporting a company that pours so much into legal battles and fighting the community(loose logic and arguments aside). Guess I'll practice and hone my tiny soldering skills.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They probably don't care about the patreons themselves, it's more about the money they're making

Yuzu was able to get that much because they had early access builds only available through there. Or you could just get them elsewhere, as any good and true pirate would .... Hence the argument that Yuzu made piracy easier since most would just shill out money to get the best emulation out of Yuzu.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Citra has posted the same announcement as Yuzu on Twitter:

(This was also posted in their Discord.)

All of their GitHub repositories have also been taken down now, aside from the website code which has also been archived.

Last edited by James_,

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
I can't believe the lead dev assumed people wouldn't pirate using emulators.
That's unreal.
It is unreal. People who obtain games illegally do most of the support work. But nobody admits to having obtained games illegally. That has always been the case and always will be. It's always worked pretty well up to now.

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I'm thinking... was the Citra thing Nintendo's doing as well? Like, go after Yuzu then tell them on the side "We'll settle, but you also have to say this and take down Citra as well"?
I mean sure it might not be official but maybe Nintendo did it as a "well, we got away with this let's take a mile now"?

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now I'm thinking... was the Citra thing Nintendo's doing as well? Like, go after Yuzu then tell them on the side "We'll settle, but you also have to say this and take down Citra as well"?
I mean sure it might not be official but maybe Nintendo did it as a "well, we got away with this let's take a mile now"?
Yuzu team helped develop citra, so if one goes so does the other.

A dark day for emulation.

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yuzu team helped develop citra, so if one goes so does the other.

A dark day for emulation.
Ugh. I love Nintendo's games but after Iwata dying and Reggie leaving... it's become a dark age for Nintendo.
I'm still gonna buy some of their games but I'm tired of their BS. They're just waving their cash around and wanting to rule through fear.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0