YouTube ReVanced project releases app manager that patches out ads from the main YouTube app

vancned.png

Rising from the ashes of YouTube Vanced is the ReVanced project, which has seen a major milestone with the release of the ReVanced Manager app. ReVanced came to be after Google went after the original YouTube Vanced app with a cease and desist, resulting in the end of the sideloadable Android app that allowed users to skip sponsors, ads, and other tweaks usually exclusive to the paid YouTube Premium subscription, but for free.

ReVanced does those same things, but exists in the form of an Android app patch, as distributing a pre-patched .apk YouTube client is illegal. Additionally, this project is fully open-source, and you can follow its development on GitHub. Previously, users have been able to use the ReVanced patch, though it required building the patch from the source code. Now, however, the ReVanced Manager has been released, which simply and easily patches the YouTube app. Currently, the manager is in an alpha release, and offers support for patching out timeline ads on Twitter, or general advertisements on the official Reddit app, alongside the primary focus of adding quality of life features to both YouTube and YouTube Music.

This alpha release follows the recent news of YouTube trying out anywhere from 5 to 10 unskippable bumper ads before videos.

:arrow: Source

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installed it on my Galaxy A53 (no-root) and it works perfectly. Background play, return youtube dislike, sponsorblock, and adblock are all working perfectly. This is nice.

Coldblackice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just stopped using YouTube.

Yes, really.

What has become YouTube as of lately? Just a platform for a bunch of people who make money by reading Wikipedia articles out loud, claiming they "analyze" things. The more interesting videos, such as actual documentaries, are on other platforms already and you don't have to see your favorite youtube heroes making an ass of themselves by pulling statistics out of their asses claiming that you're a terrible person because you aren't subscribed to them. A video went viral? I can just look at the news if it's important. Or if it isn't, I'll just watch it on Facebook. Say what you want about Facebook, but at least the videos aren't a 10-minute overexplanation full of clickbait for a 15 seconds video.

Of course there are some good channels on YouTube, like Kurzgesagt, Techmoan, Thunderf00t and the funny AF Adrian Bliss. I support those who I can from Patreon and watch them there.

In 2007 I began "phasing out" my TV. At first by just watching The Simpsons when they aired and my favorite local TV Show. Once they started uploading them on the internet, I stopped using the TV altogether. But, as of the past few years, I've actually watched more TV, due to all the actual shows that are a lot better than some random teenager begging for subscribers while exploiting their userbase as much as they can.
This x 1000.

I couldn't put it into words until reading this, but it's so true: YouTube has become a can of spam, watered down and shaken vigorously, then served up as "fresh" content.

It's channels upon channels of everyone ripping each other's content and B-roll clips, playing chicken with DMCA, then re-mashing it all together with slightly worse mic audio and background noise. "Reading Wikipedia articles out loud" SO true! Perfectly put.

And then half of the average video's time is obnoxious screaming channel intros/outros, and of course best of all, copious desperate begging to "S-S-S-SMASH that like button and subscribe!!!!11" ...thank lawdy for SponsorBlock.

The "creators" have also all figured out how to game the algorithm: using clickbaity titles and colorfully flashy thumbnails with the face of some doofus with a mouth gaping wide open like they're watching an extinction-sized meteorite tearing through the Earth's atmosphere toward them.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google is killing off YouTube Originals (other than Cobra Kai, the rest sucked) so what reason is there to pay for the service? Convenience for parents who use it across multiple devices (that are not Android/Windows).

hyprskllz

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
been using revanced's youtube for a few weeks, never going back to original one.
is downloads in yt music working for anyone? it doesn't do anything for me. tried newpipe but apparently only works for the main youtube app.

edit: just realized there's no patch for downloads. wish there is one. :sad:

Last edited by hyprskllz,

andyrolling

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
its not just adblocking, also allows videos to be played in the background and while the screen is locked.
Right
vanced is a really cool app, very handy
and enjoy a lot of little features in it
I hope they will add more useful things. I like to make playlists in yt, but it is not very convenient... for example, I can not know how long my playlist is and i have to use third-party methods. Yep. But other than that, everything is just great)

Reactions: Marc_LFD

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i've been using revanced on android and smart tube on amazon fire stick for years now. when i see people on the internet saiyng things like "you are hurting youtubers by blocking sponrors" i always feel sad for the lack of knowledge of those people. for once, youtubers only make a small porcentage for the adds (and thats why you see youtubers doing paid sponsors themselves inside their videos). that said, is really easy to help you favorite channel: become a "member" and thats it. thats what im doing with the top channels i like the most. and what is really cool: im using for payment credits that i earn doing "google opinion rewards".

revanced and similar apps did more good than damage. for example, sponrsorblock can skip intros, auto promoting things (like, subscribe...) and such. and you can even disable for a specific video (or channel), or configure in a way that some things are skipped, other not. and you can not make things like that on youtube, even if you subscribe to premium.

off topic: last year, youtubers used as click bait "we need to talk"
this year click bait is "im done..." and yes, some of you maybe know the channel im referring too XD

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn