Project+ Smash Bros. mod pulled from Riptide tournament lineup following discussion with Nintendo

1600px-Riptide.png

An upcoming video game tournament will be missing a game from its original lineup, following the organizers of the tournament being contacted by Nintendo of America. Riptide was scheduled to take place last year, but was postponed due to COVID-19. It was then moved to September 2021, where it would feature competitions involving Super Smash Bros. Melee, Splatoon 2, Rivals of Aether, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, along with Project+, a tweaked version of the popular Super Smash Bros. Brawl mod Project M. However, that's no longer the case, as Nintendo representatives reached out to the team behind Riptide, leading to the removal of Project+ from the event.

Riptide was contacted recently by a Nintendo of America, Inc. representative regarding our Project+ events. As a result of that conversation, there will be no Project+ tournaments or setups at Riptide.

A direct reason was not stated, though it can only be assumed that Nintendo of America did not want Riptide to go forward with an event featuring a modded version of one of Nintendo's first-party titles alongside official releases. Similar incidents have taken place in the past, such as last year, when Nintendo of America sent a cease and desist to The Big House, which was going to utilize Slippi, a specialized netplay build of the Dolphin emulator for to hold their tournament. Right now, Riptide organizers are contacting those signed up for the Project+ tournament and allowing refunds for those affected.

:arrow: Source

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really surprising nor a loss. Project M and other variants existed because Brawl was such a terrible game. It makes more sense to just ignore it entirely rather than play the butchered zombified corpse of a game kept on life support for no actual reason when better versions exist.

edit: Anyway, Nintendo is a lot like Disney in the sense they absolutely try to protect the image of their IPs. And they're entirely in the right to do so. They don't need the "exposure" like some less popular brands might. They're top of the food chain, it makes no sense to promote a modded game that could lead some normies to piracy.

Last edited by Hells Malice,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't consider myself a 'Nintendrone' or a bootlicker or anything, but I'm sure others might. (Go ahead, tell me to kill myself again. I dare you.)

I do think a lot of the shit people have gotten outraged about ends up being very overblown, though.
Nintendo's decisions sure as hell ain't perfect, they kinda really suck sometimes.
But shutting down ROM sites, for instance, literally does not matter in my eyes (there's always somewhere else to get ROMs)
Fan games? It's a bummer, but those things also spread like wildfire if they're released before Nintendo tells them no. And if they aren't? I mean, leaks happen...
These tourney things are probably some of the lamest of the bunch, it does kinda seem like Nintendo just does not like people playing Smash Bros. competitively all that much, but I'm surprised that this one doesn't sound like it was by force? Nintendo had a "conversation" with Riptide, and they then shut down Project+ events. Maybe they're considering some sort of sponsorship in the future? Who knows, but the fact Riptide wasn't explicit about it being a C&D or something seems telling to me.

So yeah, Nintendo corporate can make some lame ass decisions from time to time, that's undeniably true.
But I think trying to be the moral police over other people still wanting to own a Switch or buy Nintendo games is just nuts, especially when some lame attitudes and C&D notices towards fans is as bad it gets. There are other gaming companies out there much worse than Nintendo, and there are plenty of other, better things to direct that attitude and energy towards.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well if nintendo made smash more balanced nobody would mod it instead they made OP fighters do tourneys ban some fighters?I wonder like i know yu-gi-oh meta bans cards or even entire decks especially OTK (one turn kill) decks

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I play Game Dev Tyccoon, sometime I'm told about fan games and all
There are few examples of what I can do
Like, if I stop their fan game with a cease and desist, I lose fans in my fanbase
If I encourage them, I get more fan

I can even be asked to sell the game engine of my old game to the fanbase
Hell, if only Nintendo was doing that with some old games like Pokemon :)
hell you think the executives would play GDT as traiining they may treat their employees less like garbage especially actiblizz :rofl2:

Reactions: Noctosphere

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope super smash bros players will just move onto Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl when it comes out and call it a day.

That game will be on multiple systems, have wave dashing, rollback netcode so the online will actually be good, and for the nintendo switch version gamecube controller support.

Won't be much a reason to play super smash bros/ultimate anymore except for characters you may like.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo hates their fanbase and are over protective of games they wont release and mods of any kind. The company is 100+ years old and refuse to change

look like they handle online access
Yea well... as you say, they are 100+ years old, back then, they were making collectible play cards
And as you also say, they refuse to change.
I doubt ANY productor of collectible cards would accept, back then or now, to let fans create their own cards with the brand of the official producer, even if they release them for free, right?

Well, I guess it's the same here for them (but it isn't...)

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll quote you

I know Nintendo is being a jerk of C&D all fan games, it's a shame on them
But I still pay for Nintendo games because, for fuck sake, they do make good games
what good games? where good games? the last good game they've made is smash ultimate and that was over 3 years ago
i see no reason to support them when i don't like any of their games and they've done literally nothing but piss all of us off for the past decade or so. i could ignore it somewhat back in 2013-2017, but now it's actually unacceptable and i'd rather just distance myself from them

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yea well... as you say, they are 100+ years old, back then, they were making collectible play cards
And as you also say, they refuse to change.
I doubt ANY productor of collectible cards would accept, back then or now, to let fans create their own cards with the brand of the official producer, even if they release them for free, right?

Well, I guess it's the same here for them (but it isn't...)
if they don't sell them then it shouldn't be illegal. the project + devs are literally making 0 cash off of this shit and nintendo still hunts them down like a pack of hungry wolves. it's actually unacceptable what they're doing now.

Reactions: Something whatever

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also hot take, people should be able to do whatever they want with the Mario IP anyways. The IP's over 40 years old, it should be in public domain by now

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
This is a genuine question, but why do people bother with modding Brawl so much when we have Ultimate. Is it not a good game competitively or something. I loved Project M, but I stopped playing when 3DS/WiiU and then on to Ultimate. I can understand Brawl's shortcomings even from a casual perspective, but is there something wrong with Ultimate?

I also don't understand why people constantly do things Nintendo doesn't like and get mad when they act accordingly. I understand it sucks and you may want to make something out of love, but they clearly don't want that kinda stuff to be made so why not honor that?

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a genuine question, but why do people bother with modding Brawl so much when we have Ultimate. Is it not a good game competitively or something. I loved Project M, but I stopped playing when 3DS/WiiU and then on to Ultimate. I can understand Brawl's shortcomings even from a casual perspective, but is there something wrong with Ultimate?

I also don't understand why people constantly do things Nintendo doesn't like and get mad when they act accordingly. I understand it sucks and you may want to make something out of love, but they clearly don't want that kinda stuff to be made so why not honor that?
ultimate can't be modded and some people perfer brawl because of its superior aesthetic and subspace emmisiary
also people should be able to make the types of passion projects they want and not have to carefully supervise them so a dumb company doesnt get them shut down. if i want to make a metroid fangame, i'm not going to suddenly change it to castlevania just because retardtendo doesnt like people making fangames. it clearly doesnt harm the company as shown with capcom and sega, it gives the games good press, and they get new people into the franchise. they're banning something that's literally beneficial to them. they should burn

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil

Some people may prefer to play other versions of a game casually or competitively, this may be because the newer game doesn't inherit every single aspect of the previous one or simply because they just prefer the old version, that's subjective and not exclusive to Smash Bros. and being able to mod a game just adds further weight to this point.

And being honest, I don't really understand when people bring this up, it is not because a new game exists that the previous versions automatically become useless, it seems like people see games as a service when they say that.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also hot take, people should be able to do whatever they want with the Mario IP anyways. The IP's over 40 years old, it should be in public domain by now
over 40? sorry but they celebrated its 35th anniversary last year, so technically, it's 36 years old

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That was Super Mario Bros. anniversary, which came out in 1985, Mario was created in 1981.
if you mean the game on atari, they weren't calling him Mario but Jumpman
He really became Mario with SMB on NES in 1985

From what I see on wikipedia, Miyamoto wasn't even planning on making him a main character
He himself was surprised that Jumpman became popular, he wanted him to be mere cameo

Reactions: 64bitmodels

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
if you mean the game on atari, they weren't calling him Mario but Jumpman
He really became Mario with SMB on NES in 1985

From what I see on wikipedia, Miyamoto wasn't even planning on making him a main character
He himself was surprised that Jumpman became popular, he wanted him to be mere cameo

Two important things:
  • Jumpman has officially renamed to Mario by Nintendo of America during the time they were bringing the arcades for Donkey Kong to US (still in 1981).
  • Mario Bros. (which precedes Super Mario Bros.) was released in 1983, by the time they started using the name in japan.
I kind understand what you mean by jumpman/Mario not being the "main character", but that would be the same as saying Link is just a cameo in the Zelda series, even if that wasn't Miyamoto's intention, the player is inevitably one of the most (if not the most important) characters.

Reactions: tabzer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone