Project+ Smash Bros. mod pulled from Riptide tournament lineup following discussion with Nintendo

1600px-Riptide.png

An upcoming video game tournament will be missing a game from its original lineup, following the organizers of the tournament being contacted by Nintendo of America. Riptide was scheduled to take place last year, but was postponed due to COVID-19. It was then moved to September 2021, where it would feature competitions involving Super Smash Bros. Melee, Splatoon 2, Rivals of Aether, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, along with Project+, a tweaked version of the popular Super Smash Bros. Brawl mod Project M. However, that's no longer the case, as Nintendo representatives reached out to the team behind Riptide, leading to the removal of Project+ from the event.

Riptide was contacted recently by a Nintendo of America, Inc. representative regarding our Project+ events. As a result of that conversation, there will be no Project+ tournaments or setups at Riptide.

A direct reason was not stated, though it can only be assumed that Nintendo of America did not want Riptide to go forward with an event featuring a modded version of one of Nintendo's first-party titles alongside official releases. Similar incidents have taken place in the past, such as last year, when Nintendo of America sent a cease and desist to The Big House, which was going to utilize Slippi, a specialized netplay build of the Dolphin emulator for to hold their tournament. Right now, Riptide organizers are contacting those signed up for the Project+ tournament and allowing refunds for those affected.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's protecting your IP...

...and then there's just being Nintendo
To be fair if you read stuff like the xbox content usage guidelines* then modded stuff, especially modded stuff being named similarly enough to the original game, is explicitly disallowed. Similarly trademark laws are kind of all about avoiding confusion so someone seeing a clip of it or something and thinking "where do I get that" or "ew that looks awful" both count as damaging aspects as far as the law (intent, letter, spirit and otherwise) to Nintendo in this case but the trademark holder in general.

*linky
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/rules
literally the first rule said:
You can't reverse engineer our games to access the assets or otherwise do things that the games don't normally permit in order to create your Items.

I imagine Nintendo has a blanket refusal policy here, however I am curious whether they could avoid using the name or anything else and what might happen there.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of these organizations needs to stand up to Nintendo and settle this in court. I don't even follow competitive smash, but it always bothers me to see a company try to dictate what consumers can or can't do with a product post-purchase. Sure, I can see how this is a potential IP concern, but even then the concept of fair use exists, and if this doesn't qualify as fair use, then copyright law needs to be updated.

Fuck Nintendo for doing shit like this, and for making games like Metroid Dread that are physically impossible for me to not buy (so I can't even boycott their evil ass)

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe Nintendo literally said that the way people play melee competitively is not how the game is meant to be played. While they can't stop people playing there own legit games however they want they can stop the mods because it's not a legitimate version so it's akin to a fan made project and you know how they act towards those

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I play Game Dev Tyccoon, sometime I'm told about fan games and all
There are few examples of what I can do
Like, if I stop their fan game with a cease and desist, I lose fans in my fanbase
If I encourage them, I get more fan

I can even be asked to sell the game engine of my old game to the fanbase
Hell, if only Nintendo was doing that with some old games like Pokemon :)

Reactions: Worldblender

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm gonna say it
If you're currently supporting Nintendo or any of their products regarding the current stuff they've done since the beginning of this year
you are a fucking simp, and one of the biggest retards on this site. you've chosen to be ignorant of their actions. The steam deck has now given you 0 reason to support any of their products or anything they've done. STOP BUYING THEIR GAMES.

Last edited by 64bitmodels,
Reactions: CTR640 and Henx

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
which was going to utilize Slippi, a specialized netplay build of the Dolphin emulator for to hold their tournament
I thought Slippi was a mod that ran on original hardware? It's so hard to keep track of these things.

On that note, is Project+ substantially improved over Project M? (Didn't Project M cease development because Nintendo asked them to? And if so, why isn't Nintendo asking Project+ to stop development? Such strangeness.)

Even developers like Sega and Capcom simply hire modders, and in Valve's case, make things continue with development and become first-party (sort of; ref. Black Mesa). Nintendo really has a problem
Sega can barely give away their back catalog for free anymore.

allowing all of this technically opens them up to losing their copyrights
Why does this still come up? Copyright does not work that way. Copyright has never worked that way.

jesus christ Nintendo is a joke now
Nintendo Switch sales surpass 89 million, has outsold both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3! Hilarious!

Reactions: MassiveRican

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll quote you
"SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH CARTMAN"
I know Nintendo is being a jerk of C&D all fan games, it's a shame on them
But I still pay for Nintendo games because, for fuck sake, they do make good games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone