Google goes after YouTube Vanced with C&D, project to be discontinued

youtubevanced.0.jpg

YouTube Vanced will be shutting down, after legal threat. The popular app is being discontinued after years of being available on the Android platform. Released first in 2018, YouTube Vanced is a sideloadable Android app that allows users to block ads, skip sponsored content, use a dark theme layout, and other useful tweaks, including bringing back the recently removed dislike button, bypassing the need for YouTube Premium. That combined with its popularity is likely why Google went after the project, serving them with a cease and desist. The Vanced team announced that due to "legal reasons", they'll be removing links to download the app from their website, and work on the project will be discontinued.

Existing installs of YouTube Vanced should still work for the foreseeable future, until Google makes significant changes to YouTube that would render the app useless.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FF does on PC/Mobile unlike the other browsers.

It's just in terms of UI, the YT app/Vanced is more convenient. I'll use it till it doesn't work.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I honestly wish Vanced wasn't a pain in the ass to install. It should just be a single APK that installs like any normal app or game, but no... you have to install the stupid Vanced Manager first, which fails to install Vanced the first few times you try. It's obnoxious and annoying. Hopefully someone forks the work to a new project and continues support for ad-free YouTubing, along with adding a download option. (Can't believe they left that feature out, of all things.)

Reactions: CoolMe

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As of today, I'm still using YouTube Vanced + YouTube Music Vanced, but there'll be and are other options already.

On PC, you can just use browser add-ons to block ads/sponsors.
Sadly for me, my phone kept trying to delete Vanced every other day, until eventually the manager couldn't download the app anymore to reinstall.

ReVanced is thankfully a thing, and a separate group made a Revanced packer that gathers the elements, the apk and builds it. Last I checked, though, root or not it still demands installing MicroG.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You didn't hear it from me, but LibreTube is an alternative to Vanced should you need one. Even includes built in SponsorBlock API shit that lets you skip video sponsor segments.
good to know. i've checked on XDA and seems legit, so tankyou. my only problem is the lack of google connection (meaning no login with user account) like revanced do (using microg, like OG vanced did in the past). but for people who only wants to play some random YT videos, it is good indeed (then again, newpipe still a thing nowadays?) when i was forced to use an old galaxy tab 3, because my smartphone died, i used newpipe to whatch YT and was a good experience... apart of no log-in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: On a bad day you hear I missed my period +2