Hacking Discussion You cannot link a Nintendo account on a banned Switch.

Creatable

OP
Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
(WHY IS THIS SUDDENLY POPULAR???)
If you read the title, you know what's up. I currently own a banned Switch and I had to reset it a while back. I reset it and thought I would be able to link my Nintendo account, but I wasn't. It would give me the "You are banned" error. This may not seem important, but it really is if you have no intention to pirate. I was fine with not being able to link my Nintendo account, until I tried to download and install a game from eXhop... It doesn't install. It'll give you an error. This is essentially forcing me to illegally download any games I own on my Nintendo account. I really don't want to, but there's no way to access that content now. I'm making this post to warn banned users from resetting their Switch. In fact, you can't reset it from normal firmware, it'll tell you you're banned, you have to go into recovery mode (actual recovery mode, not RCM) and reset it there. If there's any way I can link my Nintendo account that you guys can come up with, I'd be super happy. Take this as a warning, do not unlink your Nintendo account from a banned Switch or reset your banned Switch!

Last edited by Creatable,

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
If you read the title, you know what's up. I currently own a banned Switch and I had to reset it a while back. I reset it and thought I would be able to link my Nintendo account, but I wasn't. It would give me the "You are banned" error. This may not seem important, but it really is if you have no intention to pirate. I was fine with not being able to link my Nintendo account, until I tried to download and install a game from eXhop... It doesn't install. It'll give you an error. This is essentially forcing me to illegally download any games I own on my Nintendo account. I really don't want to, but there's no way to access that content now. I'm making this post to warn banned users from resetting their Switch. In fact, you can't reset it from normal firmware, it'll tell you you're banned, you have to go into recovery mode (actual recovery mode, not RCM) and reset it there. If there's any way I can link my Nintendo account that you guys can come up with, I'd be super happy. Take this as a warning, do not unlink your Nintendo account from a banned Switch or reset your banned Switch!

Maybe if you full NAND backup, you could try to restore that.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If I get banned, I'll just backup my Splatoon 2 save file, create a new profile on my girlfriend's Switch, and restore my save to that profile. Not really scurred to be banned honestly. I'll still get to play cartridge dumps and update them freely.

Her Switch is a virgin, not even homebrew has been run on it yet.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I understand Nintendo wanting to punish people who mod the console it's still a silly move as all possible sales are made impossible.
I agree with this, and I'll expand upon it. What Nintendo have effectively said Is that should you indulge in piracy we will take away your right to use our services, now that is fair enough it is their right to do so and their duty to discourage theft. However, the way they have done this is by saying that due to your choice of illegitimate means we shall take away your choice of legitimate means. Essentially if you want to pirate then that's all you will do.

This is absurd, as firstly it essentially assumes anyone who pirates a game would not also legitimately purchase another game, which is wrong. I personally pirate games, however, I also purchase games too.

Secondly it also then snowballs the effect of piracy, with no legitimate way to purchase digitally, piracy then becomes the primary route of access to digital media. Not from choice, from necessity. Which financially only damages themselves and not those they are punishing in the first place.

The smart thing for Nintendo to do would have been a simple online ban for flagged titles. You want to steal games, fine, but you're not playing them online. However you can still choose to do the right thing, purchase games, fund developers.

Does Nintendo's stance discourage piracy in the first place? No, people who wanted to pirate games to any financial detriment to Nintendo are not concerned with purchasing any games in the first place. It simply removes the choice to continue to financially support Nintendo and it's developers, for those people who were willing to do so.

Removal of choice to do the right thing is not a punishment, it is a justification for doing the wrong thing.

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Why would they let you add an account on a banned console. Are you forgetting that the ban applies to the console certificate? What other means of identification of the console is there? It's quite simple. Pirate or don't.

There is no middle ground. With the WiiU and Wii, Nintendo completely ballsed up their security and they have learnt from their mistakes this time. A banned console cert is a ban from ANY Nintendo services and I agree with that.

Creatable

OP
Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
Why would they let you add an account on a banned console. Are you forgetting that the ban applies to the console certificate? What other means of identification of the console is there? It's quite simple. Pirate or don't.

There is no middle ground. With the WiiU and Wii, Nintendo completely ballsed up their security and they have learnt from their mistakes this time. A banned console cert is a ban from ANY Nintendo services and I agree with that.
The issue is: I never pirated. Not once did I pirate.
So I deserve to not play the games I actually paid for because I want to run code on a console... that I paid for? What the fuck? That's messed up.
I get that it was the same for the Wii U and 3DS but this is still a huge issue for me. I just want to be able to play games I own...

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
The issue is: I never pirated. Not once did I pirate.
So I deserve to not play the games I actually paid for because I want to run code on a console... that I paid for? What the fuck? That's messed up.
I get that it was the same for the Wii U and 3DS but this is still a huge issue for me. I just want to be able to play games I own...

You breached Nintendo's ToS though in one way or another or you wouldn't have been banned.

What did you do to get banned?

Reactions: Hozu and ByteBite

Creatable

OP
Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
You breached Nintendo's ToS though in one way or another or you wouldn't have been banned.

What did you do to get banned?
Just use homebrew and layeredfs once. For mods. For mods...
I don't care about being banned. I don't care about losing access from online... I care about being able to play things I owned. This is fucked. They're preventing me from using games I have bought from the eShop for running code on my console. No piracy whatsoever.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

Thank fuck I can just inject my saves

Reactions: Deleted User

MitsukiUchiwa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm in the same situation, but that's because I fucked up with devmenu, I'm trying to restore my nand backup but I don't think that it will overwrite what devmenu caused (partial unlink of my NNID)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Saves isn't really the issue here.. it's the game downloading
And what I'm getting at is the fact that I have 2 Switches in my house. One for piracy and homebrew, and my girlfriend's 100% untouched legit unit. If I get banned from online, I can still play Splatoon 2 on her Switch, not losing all my progress.

Creatable

OP
Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
You mean a Banned switch loses online capabilities!!?!?!??
When will they stop!!
You mean I lose access to every single game I paid for which results in tons of wastes of money? Wow, I should just accept that and not tell people to avoid resetting their switch if they are banned.

Reactions: sleepymanakete

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
You accepted that risk when you breached the ToS though.

Is your console or account banned? They are independent of one another as far as I am aware. If your console is banned, buying a another should give you access to your account. If your account is banned you are shit out of luck.

Reactions: ByteBite

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
And what I'm getting at is the fact that I have 2 Switches in my house. One for piracy and homebrew, and my girlfriend's 100% untouched legit unit. If I get banned from online, I can still play Splatoon 2 on her Switch, not losing all my progress.

You'd have to install homebrew on it to get your saves back.
Also what happens when you link a banned account to a new Switch?
Will it ban that Switch too?

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you do a Nand backup? That should have it stored in there. You also don’t lose access to your games you bought they are account tied now all you gotta do is drop 300 bones on a new switch and your golden

Last edited by Zonark,

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess then your only option on a banned switch is to use pirated copies of the games you owned. (Less guilt i guess as well for some people) :-)

dogmarch

Potato Warrior - Anti Zombie
Trophies
XP
Country
you still have an option to buy another switch and link your account there, giving you access to content you paid for. you took a risk, and you got caught, I believe it's in their right to refuse you service for breaching the tos.

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
you still have an option to buy another switch and link your account there, giving you access to content you paid for. you took a risk, and you got caught, I believe it's in their right to refuse you service for breaching the tos.
I believe linking a banned account to the new switch will get that switch banned too? (or at least not allow it to be used)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?