Yakuza 7 announced for worldwide release in 2020, is a turn-based RPG

The next Yakuza title was bound to bring about some major changes, considering this is the first mainline entry that won't feature Kiryu as a protagonist, but it seems SEGA has some wild ideas up their sleeve. Announced in Japan was Yakuza 7, set for release as a PlayStation 4 exclusive on January 16, 2020. SEGA also intends to localize the game within the same year, bringing the game to both North America and Europe before the end of 2020. What makes Yakuza 7 such a radical departure is that rather than be an action-RPG, this game will be a turn-based JRPG, as seen in screenshots on the official site. This change came from the series developers wanting to try a completely different gameplay style, after having wrapped up Kiryu's story. In a comment made at the press conference where the game was announced, director Toshihiro Nagoshi mentioned that if fans happen to be disappointed with Yakuza 7's gameplay after the game launches, they will be happy to change back to the action-RPG formula for future games.

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just love the fact they're flat-out referencing Dragon Quest, despite it being by a different company. At the same time, it's weird of them to reference such a traditional series while at the same time changing the structure of what was a traditional series in itself.

Giving some credit to the idea, I like to have a little perspective: they had seven entire games and at least four spin-offs based on the same concept (with changes) in the last 15 years. The guy who directs these games is also the director of F-Zero GX, which is such a wildly different game from the Yakuza series that it makes me give him credit as a rather excellent and versatile director. Besides all the games already available, there are three remasters on the way. I think it's great they're being given the liberty of doing something different; while at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to their roots by the time Yakuza 8 comes around.

Do you guys remember when Dragon Quest IX almost became an action RPG but they had to go back to turn based following heavy criticism? For some reason it's reminding me of this.

LufianGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll support this the same as any other Yakuza game. They even said if reception is poor they will go back to regular style, so I'm fine giving this a shot.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't say this isn't bad, but at least its no worse than FFXI/XIV and DQX. At least in the West they are titling it like a proper spinoff, as they should have with those other games. (Like a Dragon = more DQ reference?)

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu