Hacking xk3y "unrecognizable disc"

ilikeroasts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xk3y allows you to play iso's directly from an external usb HDD or a usb flash drive. In my case, it's only allowing me to install iso's from my external to internal, then I can play the iso, but that forces me to have the game on both hard drives at the same time, or the game will not play. So whats unfortunate is that my internal HDD is 120GB, so I'll be able to load it up with about 10 games. My external is 750GB which would fit around 70 games

Last edited by ilikeroasts,

D4X

Ultra 64
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think replacing your Xkey is the next logical step.

I'd have to agree. It sounds like you've been through all the steps you can.

I've not had this issue with my xk3y before (fortunately had a very smooth process) so I can't help from experience. Sorry.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
xk3y allows you to play iso's directly from an external usb HDD or a usb flash drive. In my case, it's only allowing me to install iso's from my external to internal, then I can play the iso, but that forces me to have the game on both hard drives at the same time, or the game will not play. So whats unfortunate is that my internal HDD is 120GB, so I'll be able to load it up with about 10 games. My external is 750GB which would fit around 70 games
Oh, now I see what you mean, you mean the built in install disc to HDD thing. I always found that kind of useless since it still requires the disc, but I guess you found a use for it :P
Your issue is pretty strange. You'd think that if the console would dump the "disc" to HDD successfully and work then it would be able to just boot directly from it as well. I've never heard of this particular issue, it could be a faulty xk3y, but it could also be something else and you end up wasting a bunch of money just to discover that it wasn't the xk3y after all. But it's the only thing I can think to try.
Dinoh is pretty much the 360 guru around here so if he doesn't have any other suggestions then...

Reactions: DinohScene

ilikeroasts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for everyone’s help.

Does anyone think it has to do with the latest Xbox 360 firmware and dash?

I’ve now tried 6 different usb storage devices using NTFS(MBR and GPT), FAT32, Mac extended, EXT4, even an SSD thinking the usb drive was creating a bottleneck. No luck. It is quite odd that I can install and play, but can’t play without installing. The seller is going to send me another SD card. They said that I shouldn’t have updated the xk3y firmware and that many customers destroy their xk3y by doing so. If it doesn’t work I’m going to exchange it, but I’ll end up wasting more money shipping it back and yeah I may have the same problem even with a new xk3y

ilikeroasts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I’ve also tried both externally powered and usb powered storage devices. Also tried dvd menu as well as iso menu and different xk3y FW versions and all sorts of different cfg settings. I think I’ve tried it all with no success

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Updating an Xkey destroys it?
Poppycock.

I honestly think your Xkey itself is just faulty.
I've got two on the latest firmware and they work fine.

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had very similar problems with a slim (lite-on drive). In the end I just did the RGH. Less faffing especially when you have the console already open.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo