Xbox one original TV programming coming this summer

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As most people on the forum know by now, I'm a strong supporter of the Xbox One, and I really enjoy everything my system has to offer. But what they're about to serve up I find myself... Very iffy about, and verging on the negative side.

This summer, Xbox is finally rolling out their original TV shows they've had in the works since last years E3. No information on that Halo TV show yet, but what we DO have is... Well read the quote.

Today Xbox's media strategy is front and center. Bloomberg reports that the team is rolling out a new Xbox television studio this June led by Nancy Tellem, formerly of CBS Corp., and will focus on bringing original content programming to the table, a la Netflix and Amazon.

It's an expensive gamble. But diving into original content has paid off handsomely for Netflix, which carved out a lucrative space for itself alongside established players like HBO. Even monolithic web giants like Yahoo realize its potential. The challenge for Microsoft, however, will be finding its own House of Cards-sized hit. (Halo, perhaps?)

And that won't be easy. So far, the Xbox TV team has tapped comedians like Sarah Silverman and Seth Green. Xbox's television studio has six programs ready to go with dozens of others in the works, including a sci-fi series called Humans, which is about humanoid robots. "There’s a huge failure rate," Tellem tells Bloomberg. "You have to get up to the plate a lot. Hopefully we can have a higher batting average than most, but it's a long process."

Original Programming by Seth Green and Sarah Silverman? A Scifi show about Humanoid robots? I don't...
I can't... I have no defense. I'm still iffy about the Halo show as well, and I'm one of the biggest Halo Nerds out there.

Microsofts investment is a HUGE gamble, and I don't believe they have the set install base that will allow this content to be successful.
And as far as I've seen, I'm not sure how the service will be offered either. Perhaps of you subscribe to Xbox Gold you'll be able to watch episodes free , or perhaps you'll have to pay for episodes.

Either way, Xbox has all their cards on the table now, so it's a matter of seeing if they should have shown their hand or not now.

Sauce: http://m.fastcompany.com/3028761/fast-feed/launching-this-june-original-shows-for-the-xbox-one

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If netflix and co can have original shows, Sony has original shows (and whole film studios), Ubisoft and EA seem to be doing the animation/film thing, Square Enix became a film company of sorts and even Nintendo has seen a cartoon or three happen then I am not seeing how MS lack the resources to do it well.

Edit. Much like Foxi4 I also hoped it would be more about sanctioned homebrew type things.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Honestly? This sort of thing would allow them to dominate the console market in the 90'ties when TV was big. Today? I'm not so sure. Television seems like a hugely antiquated medium, especially among the technologically-literate who simply watch their favorite shows online whenever they want. This might be a huge dud, but hey, maybe it won't be.

Reactions: chavosaur

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm...how is this unexpected? :unsure: It's not like we didn't already knew that the xbone was advertised as a multimedia device that can also play games. That, and the announcement of a halo TV series last...E3, I think it was (?)...well, it's not like I'm feeling like Sherlock Holmes when I saw this coming.

Oh, and...would you mind adding a link to the article, chavosaur? thanks. :)

Reactions: chavosaur

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm...how is this unexpected? :unsure: It's not like we didn't already knew that the xbone was advertised as a multimedia device that can also play games. That, and the announcement of a halo TV series last...E3, I think it was (?)...well, it's not like I'm feeling like Sherlock Holmes when I saw this coming.

Oh, and...would you mind adding a link to the article, chavosaur? thanks. :)
Sauce added, completely forgot.

As it's not that the programming was unexpected, it just never had a solid release time dram until just recently~

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-