trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about supporting component. However, I believe a lot of people have more than one TV in their house, but only one which is an HDTV. It sucks that they won't be able to move them around.

I imagine that almost everyone interested in the PS4/X1 will have HDTV's, but it still sucks having less support.
Many modern TV no longer has component input. Those that do often share the same input with a composite input. It is rare to see a TV with more than 1 component input.

Ever since US converted to digital broadcast back in 2009 component has saw its decline use. By 2015 even the low power broadcast will goes away, at which point TV manufacturers will no longer have any reason to add analog decoder to their TV. By then TV is 100% digital only.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about supporting component. However, I believe a lot of people have more than one TV in their house, but only one which is an HDTV. It sucks that they won't be able to move them around.

I imagine that almost everyone interested in the PS4/X1 will have HDTV's, but it still sucks having less support.

Exactly. The only HDTV* in my house is the 26" Vizio LCD I use as a secondary computer monitor in my bedroom, which I won from work. It's too small to even think about replacing the living room TV with it, nor would I want to give it up like that. I use it A LOT.

* = as mentioned earlier, the living room TV IS an HDTV, but it's a first gen one. It's a square CRT with component/composite/S-Video inputs, supporting a max resolution of 1080p 1080i (woops! Thanks for the correction, trumpet), although not very properly, since it's a 32" square instead of 32" wide.

Edit - I talked with my little brother about this last night, he's disappointed that his only choice of next gen console on the living room TV is the Wii U, which he doesn't want (but I do!). My parents can't in any way afford a new TV out there, lol.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. The only HDTV* in my house is the 26" Vizio LCD I use as a secondary computer monitor in my bedroom, which I won from work. It's too small to even think about replacing the living room TV with it, nor would I want to give it up like that. I use it A LOT.

* = as mentioned earlier, the living room TV IS an HDTV, but it's a first gen one. It's a square CRT with component/composite/S-Video inputs, supporting a max resolution of 1080p, although not very properly, since it's a 32" square instead of 32" wide.
You sure it supports 1080p? First gen HDTV should only support up to 1080i.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You sure it supports 1080? First gen HDTV should only support up to 1080i.

You know, it's been a loooong time since I've even bothered trying since the only "HD" that looks good on it is 480p, since it's not very wide. I do believe it does only support 1080i. Small oversight, thanks :o

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Awesome, not only does it become a brick no matter what after 15 years
There is no proof of that whatsoever. Microsoft have not made any mention of what will happen when servers are eventually shut off, nor when such a thing will happen.
but it'll become a brick anyways if you don't live in those countries :D
There's always VPNs and proxies, but anyway, it's not like people from those countries are forced to buy one, so it's not like they'll get one home from the shop and be like "Aw yeah, time for some Xbox...oh I can't use it, that was a waste of money". They won't be sold in those countries.

On a side note, unrelated to the above quotes, some may find this interesting: http://pastebin.com/uCmdh9jB - anonymous Microsoft engineer (or so he claims, at least) talking about Xbox One. Ignoring his poor grammar etc., some very valid points. Mostly saying things I have said/tried to say in one of the older threads.

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
It seems unthinkable that they could forget about China? Why are there no Asian or middle eastern countries on that list? D:

---

how culd they 4get china? no asian or middle eastern countries? D:

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh no :O ... my country is not on the list :(
/sarcasm mode off

XBOX ONE - made by americans, for americans (and a couple of others tourist attraction countries)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...To be fair there's A LOT of shitty things you sign into and don't even know it. Hell you don't even own most of (if not any) of your video games; purely just license usage of them. You end up signing away a lot of your "rights" but you don't exactly care now.

Really this just kinda feels like rather nonchalant news brought to light more so for the Xbox One hate. Now it definitely deserves criticism, I think the console is pretty awful in a lot of respects and really steps on consumer feet, but I don't exactly think that clicking the little checkbox when you start up your Wii U or PS4 is any better.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is HD and what is proper PAL is not that different. Moreover many games are not in HD and are something lower and upscaled along the way (this especially on games the last few years as the consoles begin to show their age when used with modern development techniques). Also, as others have mentioned, this is not just "HD" TV but modern ones -- TVs have long been sold as long term investments as far as household goods go so some resistance is justifiable. I am drawn to wonder if I could stick a HDCP stripper in line and fire it into a DVI port though.

Well it is not like Microsoft and Poland do not have a history
http://images.pcworld.com/news/graphics/170820-ms-photoshop-blunder_350.jpg
170820-ms-photoshop-blunder_350.jpg
Is it good or bad that this took me forever to find the difference between the two images?

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems unthinkable that they could forget about China? Why are there no Asian or middle eastern countries on that list? D:

---

how culd they 4get china? no asian or middle eastern countries? D:

To be fair, The Xbox 360 has a fairly small (in comparison) install base in Southeast Asia, so it isn't surprising that a launch over there is not considered a priority. Not sure what their reasoning would be for Eastern Europe, but eh.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, The Xbox 360 has a fairly small (in comparison) install base in Southeast Asia, so it isn't surprising that a launch over there is not considered a priority. Not sure what their reasoning would be for Eastern Europe, but eh.
I understand not having any big launch event or anything like that for places with small player bases, but making it impossible to even play in those countries, no matter where you got the Xbox One from? That's absurd.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Microsoft seems to be avoiding piracy hotspots of the world... I mean, China, India, most of Asia. Hell, the whole of Asia. Does this mean they are scared somebody's gonna break the DRM on Xbone?
Because Russia isn't a piracy hotspot. :P

I think they're just focusing on countries with big XBL userbases first, maybe they'll implement the service at a later time in other countries.

Reactions: ferofax

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo,