Non-authorized third party Xbox controllers and accessories soon to be blocked

controllers.png

From November 12th, Microsoft promises to block third party accessories that are not authorized by the company from being used on the Xbox, on an unprecedented anti-competitive move. This restriction includes game controllers.

Some current unauthorized accessory users have been receiving the following warning:

A connected accessory is not authorized. Using unauthorized accessories compromises your gaming experience. For this reason, the unauthorized accessory will be blocked from use on 11/12/2023.

For help returning it, check with the store it came from or contact the manufacturer. To see authorized accessories, go to
www.xbox.com/accessories. (0x82d60002).

Brook Gaming, a manufacturer of third party controller adapters and fight sticks, put out an official statement regarding the upcoming change, and are looking for solutions to keep their products working on Xbox consoles.

A list of authorized accessories can be found on the official Xbox accessory page--most of which are specifically wired gamepads. Going forward, brands will need to have a specific chip and authorization from Microsoft itself to function as an official wireless accessory on Xbox systems.

:arrow: Source

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Not on an immutable filesystem though, which SteamOS and its derivatives are.

Yeah the dark days were pretty dark, especially if you don't speak C. Again though, meson has made compiling trivial compared to what GCC used to be, it has pretty easily understandable flags and in most cases will succeed without any flags at all. Aside from GNU utils, the vast majority of software now uses meson because its quicker to create a build project, easier for the user to understand and has a sane default mechanism that does require users to understand whatever the fuck -Wnoerrorexceptforanytimeanumberappears=1 actually means :rofl2:

I just did a quick test, Flatseal seemed to work, at least with Alephone where I have the game assets on the SD card.

Edit: while there are potential risks, it is possible to enable RW:
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/671A-4453-E8D2-323C

Last edited by tech3475,

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sony did something similar with replacement side panels for the ps5. They just wanted the whole market, so threatened to sue everyone who made them. obviously different, in that microsoft controllers are software based and it affects actual use, but both have the same petty premise of "noooo you can't! we want more money!" anti-consumer tomfoolery
Hmm, didn't take that into account.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, Nintendo does try their best to lock down the Switch, which is really stingy of them, but pretty sure that it not waking up is the third party controller's fault, as it does wakeup via BLE instead of regular Bluetooth. Or at least, as far as I remember from my experiments. Switchbrew doesn't seem to mention how this works.
Third party controller maker did figure out about a year ago how to wake the Switch, but Nintendo is shitty and even their own controller have problem from time to time.

• Wow
Reactions: Marc_LFD and Sono

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Third party controller maker did figure out about a year ago how to wake the Switch, but Nintendo is shitty and even their own controller have problem from time to time.

Oh, that explains why it never works for me. I always think it's in deep sleep, but even waking it up and pressing sleep again it doesn't make it work. I have to fully unlock and press sleep to get it to behave for a few hours before it breaks again.
Sounds like a bug they will never fix, just like how they still didn't fix the mono audio bug...

Only if we could take the problem into our own hands...

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, that explains why it never works for me. I always think it's in deep sleep, but even waking it up and pressing sleep again it doesn't make it work. I have to fully unlock and press sleep to get it to behave for a few hours before it breaks again.
Sounds like a bug they will never fix, just like how they still didn't fix the mono audio bug...

Only if we could take the problem into our own hands...
Try buying a new pair of joycons or pro controller or a third party one that can wake Switch (8bitdo, GuliKit newer model after they figured out how they usually advertise it). The joycons that came with my Switch was bad while the new pair ( due to shitty Nintendo reliability I have to buy many pairs ) works great ( still not 100%, maybe better than third party by a nose ).

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bad quality joysticks
That still doesn't make sense. 🤨

For e.g., GCN third party controllers EXCEPT the Hori controllers seem to have this issue as I've come across so licensed or not, people need to do research on reliable controllers (in this case it's the official, Hori ones, and PlayStation/Xbox with a wireless dongle).

Reactions: Megadriver94

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st party controller can be trusted normally (except Nintendo). Controller is an important aspect of the experience. Microsoft wanting that to be good is the right attitude.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now there is a reason for hackers to find exploits to hack the Xbox consoles and re enable 'unauthorized' controller support. And also re enable the support for streaming other game systems via the other HDMI port on the Xbox One S since that's blocked a long time ago.

Just a dumb company with a bunch of... To just block everything. Can't even install Windows 11 because it says secure boot is disabled. It IS enabled, dumbf.cks... But that's another thing, but by the same sht company...

Reactions: Marc_LFD

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now there is a reason for hackers to find exploits to hack the Xbox consoles and re enable 'unauthorized' controller support. And also re enable the support for streaming other game systems via the other HDMI port on the Xbox One S since that's blocked a long time ago.

Just a dumb company with a bunch of... To just block everything. Can't even install Windows 11 because it says secure boot is disabled. It IS enabled, dumbf.cks... But that's another thing, but by the same sht company...
Have you found the reason to start doing it yourself?

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can kind of understand this happening for competitive online multiplayer games. But for single player games? I should be able to use any controller I want, and cheat as much as I please.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mi
I can kind of understand this happening for competitive online multiplayer games. But for single player games? I should be able to use any controller I want, and cheat as much as I please.
Microsoft have you covered. It’s call PC. Most game maker respect that as well. You can cheat as much as you want as long as you do it offline. With cheat engine you very much can make your own cheats for almost every game.

Go ahead and boycott consoles that restrict your feeedom

Last edited by TomSwitch,
Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Deeze nuts