Non-authorized third party Xbox controllers and accessories soon to be blocked

controllers.png

From November 12th, Microsoft promises to block third party accessories that are not authorized by the company from being used on the Xbox, on an unprecedented anti-competitive move. This restriction includes game controllers.

Some current unauthorized accessory users have been receiving the following warning:

A connected accessory is not authorized. Using unauthorized accessories compromises your gaming experience. For this reason, the unauthorized accessory will be blocked from use on 11/12/2023.

For help returning it, check with the store it came from or contact the manufacturer. To see authorized accessories, go to
www.xbox.com/accessories. (0x82d60002).

Brook Gaming, a manufacturer of third party controller adapters and fight sticks, put out an official statement regarding the upcoming change, and are looking for solutions to keep their products working on Xbox consoles.

A list of authorized accessories can be found on the official Xbox accessory page--most of which are specifically wired gamepads. Going forward, brands will need to have a specific chip and authorization from Microsoft itself to function as an official wireless accessory on Xbox systems.

:arrow: Source

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mi

Microsoft have you covered. It’s call PC. Most game maker respect that as well. You can cheat as much as you want as long as you do it offline. With cheat engine you very much can make your own cheats for almost every game.

Go ahead and boycott consoles that restrict your feeedom
I already use a PC.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The argument that this is about blocking cheat devices are laughable. Since they already use an official controller to fool the system. So it makes no difference.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The argument that this is about blocking cheat devices are laughable. Since they already use an official controller to fool the system. So it makes no difference.
You’re disregarding the fact that the cheat devices can be detected and have been. I think that going full nuclear on “unauthorized” devices is a bit much, but is it really difficult to get authorization? They also could be doing this from a “typical big bad business decision” perspective I guess. Dunno. I’d rather wait and see how this plays out than acting like I know the motive. Y’know?

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You’re disregarding the fact that the cheat devices can be detected and have been. I think that going full nuclear on “unauthorized” devices is a bit much, but is it really difficult to get authorization? They also could be doing this from a “typical big bad business decision” perspective I guess. Dunno. I’d rather wait and see how this plays out than acting like I know the motive. Y’know?
Sure, but they always get patched fast. So for me it just feels Microsoft want to squeeze some more money from us, the consumers. If they wanted to defeat the cheat devices, they would just target them.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Sure, but they always get patched fast. So for me it just feels Microsoft want to squeeze some more money from us, the consumers. If they wanted to defeat the cheat devices, they would just target them.
What about the controllers who have the OK from Microsoft though? Maybe I’m crazy but aren’t there already quite a few companies who have made the whitelist? They’re not going to just disappear. Even in the case of Brook, a solution is being worked on. Who knows? Maybe that was an error. Maybe it wasn’t. Dunno.

Edit: I seeee.. The issue lies in their licensing. They may raise the rates on that, or have stricter requirements. Dunno. Again, it’s a wait and see situation.

Last edited by Kioku,

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What about the controllers who have the OK from Microsoft though? Maybe I’m crazy but aren’t there already quite a few companies who have made the whitelist? They’re not going to just disappear. Even in the case of Brook, a solution is being worked on. Who knows? Maybe that was an error. Maybe it wasn’t. Dunno.
That is the thing. Microsoft wants everyone to pay for being able to be used on their system. Which I find might violate EU law. It would be like Apple only allowed their USB-C cables to work with their new iPhones.

There is still a big merit to have a Microsoft certification with your controllers since they will always be shown as good quality and will work with the systems if lets say Microsoft gives out a list of "This must work else it won't get the seal of approval".

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That is the thing. Microsoft wants everyone to pay for being able to be used on their system. Which I find might violate EU law. It would be like Apple only allowed their USB-C cables to work with their new iPhones.

There is still a big merit to have a Microsoft certification with your controllers since they will always be shown as good quality and will work with the systems if lets say Microsoft gives out a list of "This must work else it won't get the seal of approval".
In light of their recent acquisition, it would be a pretty stupid move to lockdown requirements to the level of Apple… but you know what? It honestly would not surprise me…

Reactions: linuxares

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damnnnnn!!! Everyone was like "microsoft's the good guys this gen!!!" i guess the hell not there's never any good guys it's just a case of whos being a worse company at any given time.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
damnnnnn!!! Everyone was like "microsoft's the good guys this gen!!!" i guess the hell not there's never any good guys it's just a case of whos being a worse company at any given time.
Sony/Microsoft and Nintendo want to make money. You can project whether you think that makes them good or bad if you wish.

Reactions: DinohScene

Golds

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good! stop controller based macro cheats and aimbot controller based cheats! good move for the online community, esp when COD is about to release. fuckin cheaters!

Ragna666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Phew.
The greedy f**ks again.
It's not enough to lawsuit people who try to jailbreak their consoles, but they bring this sh*t too.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good! stop controller based macro cheats and aimbot controller based cheats! good move for the online community, esp when COD is about to release. fuckin cheaters!
It won’t since they use legit controllers to bypass any legitimacy/authenticity checks. Those devices have to be detected in game by having the game monitor the controller input data for any discrepancies between what a real controller looks like what data they are actually being sent.

This literally is meant to kill off devices like the Brook and MayFlash adapters that don’t use a legit controller for spoofing. So far MayFlash still doesn’t throw the error but that will probably change as Microsoft fine tunes the detection process.

However, for people who absolutely need a different controller on Xbox, a Cronus will work for non cheating uses like using a different platform controller with no mods as they use a legit controller to bypass the authentication check.

This should not be detected by any games as the controller data will appear the same as a legit controller when used as a Brook or MayFlash replacement.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It won’t since they use legit controllers to bypass any legitimacy/authenticity checks. Those devices have to be detected in game by having the game monitor the controller input data for any discrepancies between what a real controller looks like what data they are actually being sent.

This literally is meant to kill off devices like the Brook and MayFlash adapters that don’t use a legit controller for spoofing. So far MayFlash still doesn’t throw the error but that will probably change as Microsoft fine tunes the detection process.

However, for people who absolutely need a different controller on Xbox, a Cronus will work for non cheating uses like using a different platform controller with no mods as they use a legit controller to bypass the authentication check.

This should not be detected by any games as the controller data will appear the same as a legit controller when used as a Brook or MayFlash replacement.
XIM can and has been detected. If Activi$ion can do it, so can Micro$oft. Cronus is no different. If you’re buying a Cronus, you’re not buying it to “use a different controller”. So, hopefully brook can get authorized.

Regardless, my stance on this issue has changed. It’s becoming increasingly clear that Microsoft isn’t doing this for the “right” reasons. There are other ways to combat certain devices and bad controllers.

Last edited by Kioku,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch