Xbox One games at E3 were running on Windows 7

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess this means the Xbone games can definitely run on PC's easily enough, effectively negating the need for an Xbone in the first place.....except for the fact that they said they wouldn't release their exclusive titles on PC. How convenient for them.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I guess this means the Xbone games can definitely run on PC's easily enough, effectively negating the need for an Xbone in the first place.....except for the fact that they said they wouldn't release their exclusive titles on PC. How convenient for them.
This holds true for anything from the PS1, etc, forward. There were PC releases of FF7 and FF8, even.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
They're not using different hardware though. It's the same CPU architecture and modern-day consoles use graphical APIs instead of direct hardware calls.

Furthermore they're the devs, they have the source, they can just port it.

Okay, so it's not emulating. But you guys know what I mean. They have an Xbone application that's running off of a normal Windows 7. I'd rather have that.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
As a Linux user who spends very little time in Windows and does not usually give many fucks in that regard, I'm still having a lot of difficulty keeping my face and palm separated every time I see a post about Microsoft not wanting to use Windows 8 to demonstrate XBox One games. There could be many reasons for not using Windows 8, such as the fact that certain divisions at Microsoft may not have made the transition to Windows 8 yet or they were only given permission to modify builds of Windows 7. It's not unheard of and some presentations after the release of Windows 7 were given on *gasp* Windows Vista! Just as that would never imply that Microsoft prefers Vista over 7, which would be pretty stupid, this doesn't imply the same of Windows 7 and 8.

Uh, I mean... yay, let's all hate on Microsoft for whatever reasons we can grasp at!

Reactions: Obveron

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay, so it's not emulating. But you guys know what I mean. They have an Xbone application that's running off of a normal Windows 7. I'd rather have that.
I think you don't know what the others mean. Though it's probably not a "normal" windows 7, the software side is probably doable with some tweaks and drivers and such. What isn't normal is the hardware side. The whole benefit of a console is a single hardware environment. Whatever that PC was, I SERIOUSLY doubt it's just a random stock HP. The point of emulation is that the pc's hardware has to mimic the exact environment of whatever is being emulated. The alternative is just to use the same (or very similar and compatible) hardware to begin with.

As a Linux user who spends very little time in Windows and does not usually give many fucks in that regard, I'm still having a lot of difficulty keeping my face and palm separated every time I see a post about Microsoft not wanting to use Windows 8 to demonstrate XBox One games. There could be many reasons for not using Windows 8, such as the fact that certain divisions at Microsoft may not have made the transition to Windows 8 yet or they were only given permission to modify builds of Windows 7. It's not unheard of and some presentations after the release of Windows 7 were given on *gasp* Windows Vista! Just as that would never imply that Microsoft prefers Vista over 7, which would be pretty stupid, this doesn't imply the same of Windows 7 and 8.

Uh, I mean... yay, let's all hate on Microsoft for whatever reasons we can grasp at!
That really depends on what kind of a presentation it is. At my job, we're also very hesitant to change windows versions. Not just because it'll be a new environment (most of us are still on XP), but because the currently used OS has proven itself reliable.

...but we're not a computer or even an applications firm. And this isn't a powerpoint presentation or a video conference or something. This is a tech demo of the xbox one, which is claimed to use 3 OS'es: windows 8, RT and some thing that combines it. No idea how or why they're pulling that off, but it was part of their presentation. One of the supposedly strong points of the xbone.

Seeing how this doesn't use that 3-OS thing but rather windows 7 is strange to say the least. It's like Lamborghini showing a new model of their car and letting everyone have some test rides...but then it turns out the actual engine used is a totally different engine that will be sold.

Same here: it would have been fine if it was just a display model. But it wasn't. This is supposed to be an alpha or beta model that will be on sale at the end of the year. Instead, the OS and even the video card are totally different. In other words: all impressions of the xbone are false. They're showing things they simply cannot provide in the actual product.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
...but we're not a computer or even an applications firm. And this isn't a powerpoint presentation or a video conference or something. This is a tech demo of the xbox one, which is claimed to use 3 OS'es: windows 8, RT and some thing that combines it. No idea how or why they're pulling that off, but it was part of their presentation. One of the supposedly strong points of the xbone.

Seeing how this doesn't use that 3-OS thing but rather windows 7 is strange to say the least. It's like Lamborghini showing a new model of their car and letting everyone have some test rides...but then it turns out the actual engine used is a totally different engine that will be sold.

Same here: it would have been fine if it was just a display model. But it wasn't. This is supposed to be an alpha or beta model that will be on sale at the end of the year. Instead, the OS and even the video card are totally different. In other words: all impressions of the xbone are false. They're showing things they simply cannot provide in the actual product.

But they're not showing off the OS, they're demonstrating games. What you said actually furthers my point: if the intention is to amalgamate several operating systems into one then it's understandable that it may not be fully stable at this point and it was just easier for them to use an earlier build. Undoubtedly, the XBox One has been under development long before Windows 8 was stable enough to be used as the test operating system, so I'd imagine, in this case, they developed the platform on top of Windows 7 with the intention of switching to Windows 8 before launch, with the only reason the switch hasn't been made insofar is that it probably just isn't ready. The fact they're using Windows 7 to demonstrate the games doesn't display a lack of confidence in Windows 8 if they've already confirmed the final product will use it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
But they're not showing off the OS, they're demonstrating games. What you said actually furthers my point: if the intention is to amalgamate several operating systems into one then it's understandable that it may not be fully stable at this point and it was just easier for them to use an earlier build. Undoubtedly, the XBox One has been under development long before Windows 8 was stable enough to be used as the test operating system, so I'd imagine, in this case, they developed the platform on top of Windows 7 with the intention of switching to Windows 8 before launch, with the only reason the switch hasn't been made insofar is that it probably just isn't ready. The fact they're using Windows 7 to demonstrate the games doesn't display a lack of confidence in Windows 8 if they've already confirmed the final product will use it.
It's certainly true that the games started development before windows 8 was available, yes. And that'll be on windows 7 (logical). But 8 is now released for...what? 7 months? That, and considering that it is (or rather: should be) backwards compatible makes it very strange that they haven't made the switch yet. After all, between now and then they'll also make sure that it works on that 3-OS thing. If tests aren't proving it stable enough on one of them...will that make those displayed games ready for the launch date?

(okay, I admit I don't know what game was shown on that display...if that's something of '2014' it doesn't matter that much. But it's still strange).

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I didn't realize Windows 8 has only been out for a couple of months now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/E1U7Nlt.mp4