Hacking wow! SKY3DS breakthrough 10 game limit, which means you can play any games?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, in the example he puts one new game between two registered ones.
Maybe you can add more games into that space and keep repeating the process, going from new game to new game since the cart still reads all the games in the micro SD and skips loading the ones that aren't registered.
But it will always load the last read game at boot.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Anyone tested this method already? So, it bumps up the number of limit to 20? or is it more than that?
The claim is that it bumps it up higher.
Though it seems to run through some unstable glitch which is a potential hazard for corrupting saves and your SD card.

So its not an ideal method.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Only read the 1st post and didn't even bother to look at the video. Badly translated, as all chinese to english is, unless a native speaker translates it properly.

Personally, removing shit while data is being read is asking for trouble to the console, cart and Mc. Risk of bricks is highly possible.

rastan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
just testing R5 and sky3ds...Bought in Guangzhou today, will check if there's some workaround for the 10 games limit
pgqwqgxjx

http://postimg.org/image/pgqwqgxjx/

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like our buddy on the baidu 3ds hacking forum gave up on his Sky research, sounds like he broke his card.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe (if badly done job), the 10 game limit check is done when switching game. not when inserting the card into the console. It probably check if the game header is part of the played game when switching game and cycle up to next known gameID, but only at switch time.

But it will always load the last read game at boot.
When you insert the card in 3DS, it always load the last played game? That's really interesting, and it's their vulnerability.
So the index is saved somewhere (I guess on the microSD, because if you use another microSD with different game number it wouldn't find last played game).

In my understanding, the MicroSD has a partition table, which tells each game's start sector and sector size (possibly the game's ID too).
Can someone dump his first sector (or the partition sector used by the card) before and after switching a game?

See if the index of the last played game is stored there.

Add a new game, and manually set the "last played game" to that newly added game index. (adding new game to the card probably reset the index to prevent that, so edit it manually)
insert the card in 3DS and see if it loads it.

This method is not hack-eject and will not corrupt the SD nor the flashcart's eeprom. Well, it might try to add the newly played gameID to its list of allowed games and will probably fail, so you will have to have a computer near you to edit the index if you switch game.
Or, create a 3DS homebrew to edit sector ;)

Edit:
But first, I'm really curious about the partition table used by the card and would like to see a dump or two.
thanks.

edit2:
I got a dump from a user.

The Boot sector (sector0) is replaced with a signature ("ROM" written in the middle of the sector) and the FAT partition is resized to 512KB to prevent computer asking to Format the SD card.
The boot sector seems to have a map of the games at the beginning of the Boot sector, but I couldn't analyze it, as I didn't know how many and which games that user had on his SD.

KnightOnline

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a thought: if the card just looks at TitleID's, isn't there a way to modify the TitleID of a new ROM to match the TitleID of a ROM that the card already white listed? It would be an extra step anytime you want to load an extra rom, but worth it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just a thought: if the card just looks at TitleID's, isn't there a way to modify the TitleID of a new ROM to match the TitleID of a ROM that the card already white listed? It would be an extra step anytime you want to load an extra rom, but worth it.
It is my understanding that it also checks the SHA1 checksum. ;)

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
You know the best way to bypass this limit? Support the fraking developers and buy the games, shit like this makes me hope that the video game market crashes and we stop develop games, by your logic its okay to clone your neighbors new Ferrari and get one for free yourself...

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many support the developers, but there are a few who won't or just plain can't.

There is the frugal gamer that wants to buy the games but doesn't always have the money. They will toil many hours trying to download roms on their low speed Internet connection.

And then there is the pirate who flies the Jolly Roger and sails the Internet looking for treasure. The pirate will never buy a single game and that is the way it will always be.

Reactions: Margen67

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Many support the developers, but there are a few who won't or just plain can't.

There is the frugal gamer that wants to buy the games but doesn't always have the money. They will toil many hours trying to download roms on their low speed Internet connection.

And then there is the pirate who flies the Jolly Roger and sails the Internet looking for treasure. The pirate will never buy a single game and that is the way it will always be.

Don't forget the ease of use people. Being able to carry all the games you own on a single cart is handy. Only need to take my 3DS with me places, not my cart case too.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't forget the ease of use people. Being able to carry all the games you own on a single cart is handy. Only need to take my 3DS with me places, not my cart case too.
Go Digital Distribution then - cartridges are outdated as is. ;) Then again, that's not really an option for collectors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, and blood and bones