Hacking wow! SKY3DS breakthrough 10 game limit, which means you can play any games?

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Code:
 i got this email from the sky3ds team :DDDDDDDD
hope they are not lying :DDDDDD

fug sky3ds and their greedy 10 games limitation :DDDDDDD am i right people? :DDDDDDD

mhszock.png

What are you excited about ?"Hopefully" is the key word.

Reactions: Margen67

autechre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everybody. Recently bought a SKY3DS as a gift and have been following the discussions in various forums on the subject of the ten games limitation. There has been a lot of insight and progression into this issue (game change/last remember exploit), but I assume that this is a write-only to the cart deal, with either no room on the memory for further headers or a hardware limiter preventing it from registering past ten. I was wondering about the headers for the games displayed on the diskwriter tool (CTR-P-EKJA, CTR-P-BYHJ, CTR-P-BYHJ etc) and if that is the only information remembered by the SKY3DS cart. If so then wouldn't it be possible to exchange the data under the header in the template file from a remembered rom with one that is not ? Would the cart simply recognise the header as on the list then display the new title ?

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi everybody. Recently bought a SKY3DS as a gift and have been following the discussions in various forums on the subject of the ten games limitation. There has been a lot of insight and progression into this issue (game change/last remember exploit), but I assume that this is a write-only to the cart deal, with either no room on the memory for further headers or a hardware limiter preventing it from registering past ten. I was wondering about the headers for the games displayed on the diskwriter tool (CTR-P-EKJA, CTR-P-BYHJ, CTR-P-BYHJ etc) and if that is the only information remembered by the SKY3DS cart. If so then wouldn't it be possible to exchange the data under the header in the template file from a remembered rom with one that is not ? Would the cart simply recognise the header as on the list then display the new title ?
As I understand it, the card doesn't take modified roms. So this was ruled out very early on.

Reactions: Hader

autechre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As I understand it, the card doesn't take modified roms. So this was ruled out very early on.

You misunderstand. Clearly the inclusion of the data under the headers in template doesn't modify the roms through diskwriter or they would not run. I don't mean modify the rom, but to replace the data under the header in the template file for a remembered rom with the data from one that is not (just edit the template file). For example lets imagine that the rom Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (CTR-P-AGGP) is remembered on the cart as one of the ten, but you want to play Mario Kart 7 (CTR-P-AMKP). In the template.txt file you find the header CTR-P-AGGP and the subsequent data. What I suggest is copying and pasting the subsequent data from under the CTR-P-AMKP (Mario Kart) to replace the data under CTR-P-AGGP (Luigis Mansion). If it is only the header that the actual cart recognises then surely it would allow any title to run ? Clearly the inclusion of the data under the headers in template doesn't modify the roms through diskwriter or they would not run.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it were 'that easy' - wouldn't you think someone had figured that out by now? (Its been suggested a couple of times in a variety of ways.)

Reactions: OuahOuah

autechre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I managed to extract a bunch of files from the diskwriter.exe (with 7zip lol), looked through the 560KB .text file and saw references to the .net libraries, so opened the .exe with dotPeek. I found a lot of information, but I don't have a lot of experience with programming, so would be interested to find out just what the diskwriter tool does to the roms. Does anybody know what format the partition diskwriter uses is ? Also I noticed that when you format the microsd the diskwriter creates a 512KB FAT partition on it, with an archived version of the diskwriter tool and template file in it. Is that for a particular purpose ? If somebody experienced with .net could look at the code then we could find out exactly what diskwriter uses the data in template for...

Reactions: Hader

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Reactions: Hader and autechre

Hader

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
A new 3DS firmware update 9.3.0-21 Nintendo 3DS Update Released,sky3dsworks well due to it being a exact emulation of the 3DS card but there is a high chance gateway’s update does not use this method

mundodisco

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.mundodisco.com.ar
XP
Country
Argentina
I own a Sky3DS red-button, and now I am used to "doing the thing" (that is to say, pressing for 2-3 secs the Sky3DS button to avoid auto-scrolling of those games written after the first "golden ten"). So, apart from having to select those games with this procedure (and the blue light permanently flashing until reinserting the card or entering and then exiting "Settings" screen), both red and blue button Sky3DS appear to be identical...

HOWEVER, I wonder something: how can I save games into Sky3DS microSD (as the blue button does, or even the red button card also does with the first 10 historical rom), after playing games that require "doing the thing"??? With the ten "golden roms" (or always with a blue button Sky3DS), after exiting a game, you have to push the Sky3DS button at least once to change game, and in that moment saves in games are permanently stored. And that is working fine (I have thoroughly tested). But with games that require "doing the thing", pressing the Sky3DS button has no effect, and I haven't been able yet to save in those games with my Sky3DS red button...

Has anyone got a solution?

Thank you very much in advance,
GABRIEL
from Buenos Aires, Argentina

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You have to convert the card1 ROMs to card2 ROMs.

Explanation:

There are basicly two different cards for 3ds Games. The so called card1 games have an EEPROM chip (-> EEPROM=Yes), where the savedata is stored. Its about 1MB in size. This savedata is seperated from the ROM (for you: game) itself. Those kinds of cards are common for most games.

card2 games are a bit different. The ROM there contains a user-space, where the savegame is written. So it does not need an EEPROM to store savedata. (-> EEPROM=No) The savegames are not necessarily bigger than on card1 games but could store more data. Pokemon for example is a card2 game.

If you write a card1 game to the µSD of Sky3DS and you break the limit, the EEPROM on the Sky3DS can't be written because "doing that thing" makes the card crash. Card2 games write the saves directly to the µSD thus the don't need a working EEPROM.
e.g. you could play Pokemon with "doing that thing" without problems and working save.

Here is the tool:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sky3ds-...which-saves-perfectly-sky3dsctool-exe.375501/

Just follow the tutorial on that link.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1