Gaming Would you buy a UMD new for $5?

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually looking to find a few lots of UMDs as cheap as possible to buy. I would love a huge UMD collection. My 8 gigs is currently filled to the brim with all kinds of homebrew and...erm... others... and i don't want to put a movie on there that i *might* want to watch at some point. I'd rather have a collection ready to go that i can just throw in an play IF i'd want to. Otherwise, i might pick up another card for media, but i still want a personal collection of UMDs.

Time to check used game stores!

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WildWon said:
Time to check used game stores!

shssssssssssssssh dont say that out loud SONY maby listening LOL
nyanya.gif
smile.gif

VmprHntrD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NOt sure how this decayed into game stores and used games vs piracy. But ultimately as far as used stores game it fairly well is piracy as far as the 'industry' is concerned as they get nothing just as they do with a pirate. I get the argument about 'cost overhead' but the original entities that made up Gamestop for the most part didn't dabble in used games back in the day. Initially just like EB Games/Babbages earlier on Software Etc (which turned into Gamestop) didn't either. Around the time Funcoland got fat the others wanted a cut, then Software Etc went Gamestop and ate up everything that used to be good about game shops that weren't ma and pa outlets.

Ahem...anyway off that. I have a hot tip here if someone loves Family Guy. I was saving this until after my order shipped. >:)

http://www.gamefunk.com/product.detail.cfm...ID=024543257769

That's Family Guy Vol 2 Season 3 which most people aren't even aware made it to the PSP UMD format as it was right at the end of when Fox supported it (up until caring again more recently with the new cheap price runs ($10-15.) The reason I'm linking family guy is that normally it's a $50 set everywhere online. They're selling it for $30. 40% off is not bad when you consider it's 5 UMDs in there and it's the closing end of family guy before it was reborn in the 21st century.
smile.gif
The PSP has the unique distinction of having the original entire Family Guy TV show set from the 'must kill Lois' sadist Stewie days and the rest when they were just really bad(good.)

SirSweeps

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow ... don't log in for a while and an argument ensues...
but meh ...
ok, just for the record I have plenty of umd's both game and movies and as far as my hacked psp goes, I see no harm in using it to play games that
1) I do own and love
2) can't play on the original systems as they have just plain worn out
and well I mostly use the psp as a portable svn for my computer...

The simple fact is that I dabble in all of this hacking stuff because I love to learn and being able to put my soldering skills to good use is also a plus ... its mostly a pass time...
and just because someone is knowledgeable about these sorts of things does not make them a pirate (that's why I don't create threads asking for help, I want to be the helper) ... but that doesn't mean that I won't try and help other members ...

all that aside
happy tempin'

OH, and thanx for the tip Vampire Hunter D
any other releases I should know about???

alphanemisis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, truthfully i would buy umd only if it was really hard to find on dvd...
i bought a used ninja scroll since my dvd was messed up... turns out the umd was messed up and wouldnt play either...

back on some other posted comments...
there are pros and cons to video on the psp...

cons ( i can think of)

yes the screen is small
yes you cant play umd on standard home theater dvd player etc...
yes there are no extras
yes it is hard to see the screen when traveling in the sunlight( but no worse than nds lite or ipod)
yes it takes a lot of time and trouble to convert dvd to psp format.

pros ( i can think of)

the screen may be small, however when 14 inches away from your face (unless you are blind) in perspective is quite large (much better than ndslite wich some users view video on, and people use ipod for this too....)

you can still play the movies through the psp with the video output cable (i have one though i rarely use it)
you can playback from video memory stick pressing square and then direction buttons (i think) allow you to adjust time frames of 1 to 5 minute intervals so its like chapter skip and select... and like dvd player if you stop it it picks up where u left off when you play again so its very much like a dvd player.

the video quality is really great even with highly compressed low quality video... just depends on how long you want to spend converting video, and how much space you have on memory stik...

and for those who are experienced dvd rippers this is no issue, and for those who arent, it is quite an anguishing quest to find programs, or computers that can handle the load to accomplish this... but a digital video file does not scratch/peel/crack, get dirty/finger smudges etc... the only worry is corruption of the file wich if you take care of the psp likely will not ever happen.

IN CONCLUSION

alphanemisis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in conclusion

as far as a portable device the psp is awesome for video playback,either umd or from memory. its smaller, easier to manage than a lunky portable dvd player, alot more private, just about an all in one device and brings a new element to a personal entertainment device...

its alot better than the in-flight movie, and for those that do not have a psp, they are definately jealous of the guy sitting next to them that does!

however the outlawed (but still attainable) dvd shrink ver:3.1 does a great job ripping for freeware, and there are freeware programs out there that do a great job converting to psp format... and there is freeware that rips straight from dvd to psp format(and multiple portable devices)... i cannot remember the maker of the software i use for this, but message me if your interested....just remember its not pirating if you own the dvd, you have to legal right to make backups for personal use (not personal gain).

alphanemisis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i especially use mine for bedtime use... for example, i want to watch a movie , but my wife doesnt want to see it!!!! and when my wife is ready for bed, but i want to watch tv, and she doesnt want it on becasue of the light, and noise...(that and i usually fall asleep with it on)....

and with some earphones so i can hear the movie over the noise of the fan or air conditioner etc...its totally awesome!

great for traveling too...

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buying used, is the same as stealing. That's the dumbest statement I've heard in awhile.

HA!!!!!

Jesus Christ.

Anyway, back on topic, buying $5 for new movies would be nice, but older movies I've already seen... not too much reason for.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
wyndcrosser said:
Buying used, is the same as stealing. That's the dumbest statement I've heard in awhile.

Except it isn't that stupid. If i break into your house and steal your PSP, and then buy a used PSP from a shop, Sony still gets one sale in each event. It's a difficult argument, and can be argued both ways, but it's certainly not a "dumb statement".

VmprHntrD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize this thread is like a year and a half old and back then BB didn't have $10-15 blu ray movies then. DVDs they did, but not the other.

I have to say that 'buying used is stealing' is a really dumb comment. Just because you buy someones copy aka: license for a game/movie off one consumer and acquire it isn't stealing it's a legal transfer. Stealing would be if the original consumer kept a copy and still used it, they'd be the thief.

alphanemisis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
You do realize this thread is like a year and a half old and back then BB didn't have $10-15 blu ray movies then. DVDs they did, but not the other.

I have to say that 'buying used is stealing' is a really dumb comment. Just because you buy someones copy aka: license for a game/movie off one consumer and acquire it isn't stealing it's a legal transfer. Stealing would be if the original consumer kept a copy and still used it, they'd be the thief.

thought it could use some new perspective.

memory video is so awesome! its like having a 100 disk dvd player in the palm of your hand without the hassle of fumbling through disks..... ( well i can squeeze about 8-12 videos depending on length, and compression quality wich determines file size on my 8gb stick. but once you watch them you can swap in new ones!

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xist said:
wyndcrosser said:

Except it isn't that stupid. If i break into your house and steal your PSP, and then buy a used PSP from a shop, Sony still gets one sale in each event. It's a difficult argument, and can be argued both ways, but it's certainly not a "dumb statement".

Firstly, 'buying used' is most certainly not the same as stealing, as it is both legally and morally acceptable to do so. Secondly, 'buying used is the same as stealing' is indeed a stupid remark given the fact that it is obviously false and uniformed, one has the right to sell anything they rightfully own, often called 'transfer of ownership'.

'If i break into your house and steal your PSP, and then buy a used PSP from a shop, Sony still gets one sale in each event.'..........an analogy that has nothing to do with the aforementioned statement.

As for whether of not I would buy a new UMD for $5....more than likely.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Way to miss the point...the whole reasoning behind the argument is to compare and contrast the final cost to dev's and publishers. My point was that Wynd's remark was just off the cuff submissiveness with no thought behind it. Your totally unrelated comeback has nothing to do with my point, which was concerned with that initial stealing is similar to buying used.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1