Hacking Wood R4 Suggestions

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
uyt.95 said:
It would be great if we could backup our saved games in the cloud, like with the plugin for the akaio menu.
I'd rather the option to save to a seperate sub-directory eg dsgames/save or currentfolder/save. "savetosubdir = 1" inside the .ini, its not that important or crucial but it wouldn't be bad if there were the option. It might be better there are less files in a single directory on mSD's but otherwise thats it. wood is great, maybe a "make backup and zip" option would be quite cool too though but I'd be happy if these were also storable locally within the save folder.
Nice.

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Additional color depth and format support would be nice for the gbaframe file. I would at least like to see support for native 8-bit and/or 24-bit bmp files if possible. I just can't get anything converted to a 16-bit bmp at all. In addition to that png support would be nice since most of the gbaframes I've been seeing are in 24-bit png format.

P.S. - If anyone has a program they have been successful in creating 16-bit bmp files for use as gbaframe in r4wood 1.29 then let me know. All the ones I've tried to load turn up corrupted. The only one that works is the one in the gbatemp theme.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
An option for simple animated backgrounds would be really cool. The two-frame animations that you see in AKAIO by manipulating the clock colon are sometimes really creative and I'd love to see something like that for Wood.

Whether or not you decide to implement this suggestion, thanks ywg.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
An option for simple animated backgrounds would be really cool. The two-frame animations that you see in AKAIO by manipulating the clock colon are sometimes really creative and I'd love to see something like that for Wood.

:/...I thought that Wood had the same theme system as AKAIO...therefore the animations would be up to the themer to implement...

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
jurassicplayer said:
Snailface said:

:/...I thought that Wood had the same theme system as AKAIO...therefore the animations would be up to the themer to implement...
Ok, you're right. It still would be nice to have animations officially supported so we can have more than a two frame animation and options such as time duration between frames. So my suggestion still stands for the honorable ywg to officially add animations as a firmware feature.

ywg

Trophies
XP
Country
Snailface said:
Ok, you're right. It still would be nice to have animations officially supported so we can have more than a two frame animation and options such as time duration between frames. So my suggestion still stands for the honorable ywg to officially add animations as a firmware feature.
Abstract suggestion to add animation is useless. If any skin maker has suggestions — no problem.

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
shinji257 said:
Additional color depth and format support would be nice for the gbaframe file. I would at least like to see support for native 8-bit and/or 24-bit bmp files if possible. I just can't get anything converted to a 16-bit bmp at all. In addition to that png support would be nice since most of the gbaframes I've been seeing are in 24-bit png format.

P.S. - If anyone has a program they have been successful in creating 16-bit bmp files for use as gbaframe in r4wood 1.29 then let me know. All the ones I've tried to load turn up corrupted. The only one that works is the one in the gbatemp theme.

Well I found a way from a hint on another thread. The easiest way is to use GIMP and resave the file as a bmp file. When the Save as BMP box comes up expand Advanced options and choose "X1 R5 G5 B5" under 16 bits for the format type. Any other will produce bmp files that will be partially corrupted when rendered on the ds. Other programs that support saving 16-bit bmp files may also support this format. Still YMMV.

woodypecker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The file browser listing layout in Safe Mode seems to be always in Internal setting, even when you change those settings beforehand.

This does not seem too hard to code and it will make the browser become more nice/neat looking when you don't see web address or other uncapitalized filenames w/ underscores especially when using other homebrew ROMs like mp3 players or calculators etc.

bitonio6

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
For me two things can be usefull...

1/ Erase the "favorite" folder
2/ Change theme dirtectly with a combination of buttons (Like UP+R+A = forward / UP+R+Y = Backward)

Somebody can give me a link for a good "skin creator" ?

wink.gif

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Could you take out the "boot into NDS mode" from the menu when you select the slot-2 item? All that does is boot two white screens that soft-reset doesn't work on.

Also, what about an ini file that can change what displays for certain games, like with the little icon customization thing? I don't like how all of my GBA games are in the modern display format in every display option I choose.

z.g

Trophies
XP
Country
Sora de Eclaune said:
Could you take out the "boot into NDS mode" from the menu when you select the slot-2 item? All that does is boot two white screens that soft-reset doesn't work on.gba settings->slot-2 mode->gba.
QUOTEAlso, what about an ini file that can change what displays for certain games, like with the little icon customization thing? I don't like how all of my GBA games are in the modern display format in every display option I choose.
alternative icons can be placed at /__rpg/icons

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work