ROM Hack [WIP] Ohana3DS tool

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So ... what is the purpose of that new version if it lacks some (important and useful) features from the older version ?
I can understand that this is not a priority, but I don't understand why this never will be implemented :/

I'm just as confused as you are.

gdkchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So ... what is the purpose of that new version if it lacks some (important and useful) features from the older version ?
I can understand that this is not a priority, but I don't understand why this never will be implemented :/
The BCH support is far superior than the one from the old version, it also got support for new formats. Useful is a matter of opinion, and option to insert and create textures or models is useless for me, since I dont have a 3DS and have no way to test such changes. Would be pretty easy to add a feature to replace textures like the old version, but I prefered to just change the focus of the tool to be a viewer only, this way its easier to maintain. There are also other important points that I would like to remember:
- I'm not being PAID to do this. I do it on my free time, as a hobby for fun. Therefore, I only do what I want to do. No one helps me, I've been coding this tool pretty much alone from the beggining, which is pretty tiresome.
- The source is open, which means that anyone with programming skills is free to implement any feature he/she wants.

Also, you rarely see someone here saying thank you, is mostly "this is broken, fix that and that, implement this format". Just put yourself in my shoes and Ill see what Im talking about. The way you say, looks like what I've made so far is totally useless.

Last edited by gdkchan,

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
The BCH support is far superior than the one from the old version, it also got support for new formats. Useful is a matter of opinion, and option to insert and create textures or models is useless for me, since I dont have a 3DS and have no way to test such changes. Would be pretty easy to add a feature to replace textures like the old version, but I prefered to just change the focus of the tool to be a viewer only, this way its easier to maintain. There are also other important points that I would like to remember:
- I'm not being PAID to do this. I do it on my free time, as a hobby for fun. Therefore, I only do what I want to do. No one helps me, I've been coding this tool pretty much alone from the beggining, which is pretty tiresome.
- The source is open, which means that anyone with programming skills is free to implement any feature he/she wants.

Also, you rarely see someone here saying thank you, is mostly "this is broken, fix that and that, implement this format". Just put yourself in my shoes and Ill see what Im talking about. The way you say, looks like what I've made so far is totally useless.

Thank you for your answer.
It is more clear now, even if I don't agree with all you said but I totally understand your choice.

EDIT : I still have some questions : Are you also the author of the original Ohana3DS ? If so, why can't you re-implement the export/save of BCH files ? I'm not very good at programming (I'm to lazy to seriousely learn it >.<), but I don't think that it will be very difficult, especially for you if you wrote the original Ohana3DS, the BCH exporter/saver :/

Last edited by MK73DS,

Demonslayerx8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pretty much all of this. Even tho I give my thanks for almost every update release, I also give out errors that he could possibly fix. I can pretty much see Ohana being as a viewer instead of a modding tool, since many bch files are different versions of the format, and making new bch's for said game would be pretty damn hard to do, since not every1 has the tools to do this.

idk if that last bit made any sense.. but o well. Take your sweet time gdk!

Reactions: gdkchan

Nao-chan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your answer.
I still have some questions : Are you also the author of the original Ohana3DS ? If so, why can't you re-implement the export/save of BCH files ? I'm not very good at programming (I'm to lazy to seriousely learn it >.<), but I don't think that it will be very difficult, especially for you if you wrote the original Ohana3DS, the BCH exporter/saver :/

I'm going to assume you didn't fully read what he said and the reasoning behind it. He said... for him, it's non essential since he doesn't have a 3DS to test that feature on. If he chooses not to implement it. Then that's that. Constantly saying that it would in theory, be simple to add, isn't helping anything.

Anyway... I'd also like to give my thanks to you for this program. Not many people give it to those who deserve it. I hope this hobby doesn't put too much strain on your life.

Last edited by Nao-chan,

Demonslayerx8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would everyone please stop reporting issue's, or asking gdkchan for fixing issue's? the man is already stressed enough as is!! Let him have his time and he'll most likely get to it when he feels like it.

Reactions: gdkchan

Evilpape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate all your hard work on this, and I hope you don't feel pressured to get fixes out, but I'd like to continue finding issues/errors/new formats to help this great program improve.

If I had the skills I'd do this myself, but alas I don't.

My biggest hope is that you or someone can eventually figure out Code Name STEAM models.

Anyway Thanks again for getting Fossil Frontier models working, for all the fixes/answers, and I'm patient enough to wait for any fixes.

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Read through this, and it makes perfect sense, but..

option to insert and create textures or models is useless for me, since I dont have a 3DS and have no way to test such changes. Would be pretty easy to add a feature to replace textures like the old version, but I prefered to just change the focus of the tool to be a viewer only, this way its easier to maintain.

In regards to the first: couldn't you have people dedicated to test these changes for you? Quite a few people would definitely sign up to do so for you simply to get the tool to be better. In regards to the second: couldn't you simply make a single build with support for reimporting textures and then leave it at that until demand starts up again?

Demonslayerx8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To anyone wanting Chibi Robo! Zip Lash models, this is what you do.

turns out its just a bunch of padding in front of the BCH data.. remove all of that before BCH via HxD (or any hex editor), and it will load into Ohana Rebirth, even tho the file format is h3d, just rename it to BCH after the fixes and your good to go. Maps/stages wont open, but Items, bosses, robo/robo alts and enemies will load

Im sure gdkchan will add support for h3d, but for the time being, this is an alternative method for loading the models.
0h0yzQz.png
OZrhbxJ.png

Ne9bhnw.png
R4DIgyo.png

Last edited by Demonslayerx8,

gdkchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In regards to the first: couldn't you have people dedicated to test these changes for you? Quite a few people would definitely sign up to do so for you simply to get the tool to be better.
I said that I'm not really interested in implementing those features because I can't make use of it myself. I enjoy seeing stuff working and being able to open models from other games, is kind of a self-challenge. Creating new files on the other hand is not as great to me, since I can't see the results or test the results myself. I implemented the texture replacement feature because it was easy enough, just needed to make a re-encode for the texture formats, the hardest one being the ETC1 compression, but it was still pretty easy. Rei tested it to me at the time iirc.

In regards to the second: couldn't you simply make a single build with support for reimporting textures and then leave it at that until demand starts up again?
Yes, I could. But then I would start fixing up more stuff, implementing other formats, and soon enough would need to keep updating that separated build to have the fixes. I could also implement it on all builds, but that would be inconsistent. I mean, you have an option to replace textures. But can't create or delete (even with an option to do so on the window), also you can change the textures, but not the model. I can see this leading to a lot of confusion. I could add it as a separated windows on the menu (already throught in doing that one time or two), but again that would be just bloating the tool, its easier and more consistent, to make it a viewer only. The main focus of the old tool was always the pokemon games (it have a specific tab to open/extract/insert the texts from pokemon, also support for most if not all containers used on pokemon, an option to edit the map permissions...) while the new one support a lot of other games.
(Hope that its clear now)

@Demonslayerx8
H3D and BCH are the same thing. BCH means Binary CTR H3D. If it have extra bytes at the beggining, it may be a container with more than one BCH inside, or may have some game-specific data before the start of the model.

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said that I'm not really interested in implementing those features because I can't make use of it myself. I enjoy seeing stuff working and being able to open models from other games, is kind of a self-challenge. Creating new files on the other hand is not as great to me, since I can't see the results or test the results myself. I implemented the texture replacement feature because it was easy enough, just needed to make a re-encode for the texture formats, the hardest one being the ETC1 compression, but it was still pretty easy. Rei tested it to me at the time iirc.

Oh, I understand, then. Sorry for the hassle on that bit.

Yes, I could. But then I would start fixing up more stuff, implementing other formats, and soon enough would need to keep updating that separated build to have the fixes. I could also implement it on all builds, but that would be inconsistent. I mean, you have an option to replace textures. But can't create or delete (even with an option to do so on the window), also you can change the textures, but not the model. I can see this leading to a lot of confusion. I could add it as a separated windows on the menu (already throught in doing that one time or two), but again that would be just bloating the tool, its easier and more consistent, to make it a viewer only. The main focus of the old tool was always the pokemon games (it have a specific tab to open/extract/insert the texts from pokemon, also support for most if not all containers used on pokemon, an option to edit the map permissions...) while the new one support a lot of other games.
(Hope that its clear now

Is the program open source? I was trying to imply that rather make a separate build and continuously update it, you could just make one and leave it as the only 'reimport' build of O3DSR until the demand spikes again, and leave said build open source so that anyone who complains about a new feature not being importable can just compile it themselves. Might work as a short or long term solution to how many people desperately want to import stuff into any 3DS game, really.

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I'm going to assume you didn't fully read what he said and the reasoning behind it. He said... for him, it's non essential since he doesn't have a 3DS to test that feature on. If he chooses not to implement it. Then that's that. Constantly saying that it would in theory, be simple to add, isn't helping anything.

Anyway... I'd also like to give my thanks to you for this program. Not many people give it to those who deserve it. I hope this hobby doesn't put too much strain on your life.

If he doesn't have a 3DS how did he make the BCH exporter of Ohana3DS ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work