Windows wont start after gparted froze

learnin2hack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I am stumped. I had linux mint 15 installed in a dual boot with win xp on the family computer. I removed linux mint and then tried to resize the windows partition to the full size of the hdd off a live usb. gParted froze and my father plugged out the computer. It now says windows cant boot(something.exe) is corrupted or missing. I dont have the windows cd. Sorry I'm in a rush

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No not MBR.

Massive filesystem corruption.
He interrupted a filesystem resize, that's a sure way to disaster.

Afaik there's no good ntfs fixer for linux.
You will have to fix it on a different windows install. If it CAN be fixed that is.

Easiest it probably to restore from backup (if the machine was important)
or simply wipe and reinstall.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am with PsyBlade on this one -- interrupting a drive resize is generally bad news all round. If you are especially bored you can recover some stuff from raw drive reading but mostly it is bad news.

You might give http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk a go, strictly speaking this sort of thing is not under its remit but a this point it is probably worth a go. Its companion program photorec might also be able to penetrate far enough to pull back a few files if not. It is available for everything, indeed if you used parted magic it is probably already on it.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I had a similar problem once, it was actually only the partition table who was corrupted. I used an utility like the one FAST6191 proposed, and luckily enough, I managed to get back pretty much all my data.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Massive filesystem corruption.
While this is certainly a possibility, I don't think the system would even start the boot sequence if the disk was borked to that extent - everything depends on when exactly the process froze, so it's best to go through step-by-step recovery before assuming the wrost-case scenario occured.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
so it's best to go through step-by-step recovery before assuming the wrost-case scenario occured.
Running the suggested fsck/filesystem checker (in checking only mode) is simply the first thing to do with a misbehaving filesystem.
The rest depends on the results but isn't exactly long either.

If it finds no errors it probably isn't the filesystem. Look for problems elsewhere.
If it finds unfixable errors there's not much choice too: wipe it (create a new filesystem or restore a backup from before the problem).

Only if it finds fixable errors there are some other steps:

The very first thing is making sure it isn't caused by defect HW.​
If it is, fix it. (Included for completeness, I doubt its the cause here)​
Then optionally make a backup of the complete FS.​
The next thing is telling the checker to fix the error. Repeat as needed. Possibly with different repair tools.​
If you run into problems you can restore the backup from the step before to try again.​
If you run out of pacience: wipe it​
And that's about everything you can do.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If the filesystem is corrupted, I would think nothing would be readable and you'd end up with the boot device failure message. If its just the MBR, then at least it would be able to read the drive even if the corruption breaks several key files from the boot up sequence.

Then again, I've had a lot of fun with intentional filesystem corruption in the past. Depending on what is accessing the affected drive, I've seen as many as 6 different file tables, with most folders and files relatively intact. And it booted, but anyway. I'm getting off topic.

learnin2hack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the suggestions. I used photo rec to recover most of the data. I repaired the MBR earlier. I think it is a file system corruption. I downloaded a Dell OEM win xp home edition iso and it is just finished now I will try to repair the installation with it. Wish me luck :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: peepee