• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 2,440
  • Replies 29
D

Deleted_171835

OP
win8_ribbon_021.jpg

Rafael Rivera and Paul Thurrott released the second batch of screenshots featuring unlocked features inside the latest build of Windows 8 to be leaked. It’s apparent now Microsoft is committed to bringing the Ribbon user experience (otherwise known as Windows Scenic) to the heart and soul of Windows, the Explorer.1[/p]
Source

It doesn't look too bad. I like the Ribbon interface.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Did they really think right clicking was so hard they had to move everything into tabbed menus where people will spend more time looking for the button they need to click to do what they want to do?

I hope it at least has a way to disable that otherwise I'll stick with 7.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Law said:
Straight from the article:

Based on what we’re seeing, however, it does seem that there will at least be a toggle to disable this top-heavy UI. So if you don’t like the Ribbon in Windows Explorer, hopefully you’ll be able to turn it off.[/p]

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Law said:

Based on what we’re seeing, however, it does seem that there will at least be a toggle to disable this top-heavy UI. So if you don’t like the Ribbon in Windows Explorer, hopefully you’ll be able to turn it off.[/p]
IIRC, they said that about Office's Ribbon bar too at first...

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
twiztidsinz said:
Narayan said:
looks good but i prefer a simple clean design.
Simple? It's obtrusive.
It's eating up a considerable amount of screen space for common tasks that never needed buttons.
okay let me add some more words "that looks good but i prefer the simple, clean design of older versions."

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
raulpica said:
Law said:

I don't have much faith in Microsoft anymore. They'll probably remove the toggle before release with the only reason it being there for "testing" purposes and then it'll be about three days before somebody hacks it to allow the old mode again.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
There are some other new features and changes, too.

The Welcome screen looks different. Also, you can control music playback while on the login screen.
LogonUI_thumb.png

Login screen.
It looks rather ugly.

Also, it comes with a PDF reader that utilizes the new "new AppX application package type".
mr_nav_thumb.png

PDF reader

It seems that Microsoft is focusing more on aesthetics instead of functionality.

Apparently, there will also be an App Store (Isn't Apple doing this?) in Windows 8 utilizing a new "application deployment system" called AppX. Details below,

Although Windows 8 will disrupt many components of applications, including how they are written (Immersive) and distributed (application store), AppX concerns only the deployment aspect of applications. More precisely, it’s a tight specification that describes how applications are packaged and installed.

Clearly inspired by XAPs for Silverlight, the critical aspect of AppX packages is an XML manifest file appropriately named the “AppXManifest.xml”. In this file, developers will have to specify many compulsory and optional attributes of their application, in fact, much more than what’s required from Windows Phone developers.

From a specifications document it’s revealed attributes include but are not limited to:

* Application identity – name, publisher, version
* Application architecture – processor architecture, type of application, framework required, operating system version
* Dependencies – name, publisher and minimum version of other required applications
* Capabilities – networking, file system and profile capabilities requested by the application
* OS extensions – associated filetypes and protocols, AutoPlay, “Charms”, notifications, splash screen
* Tile customization – logo, name, description and colors for the tile-based user interface[/p]
Source

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Law said:

Would have stuck with Win 7 if that wasn't there. Log on screen has a weird background, but that of course, will be customizable in time.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I actually thought the Ribbon UI was useful for Office, but everything else, like Paint, it really bugged me. I used to love the simplicity of Paint when I was a kid. Challenging myself to create something incredible from software that's so basic was so much fun. I know the Ribbon UI is there for accessibility, but I honestly think it's complexity in some cases makes it less accessible.

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
SoulSnatcher said:
There are some other new features and changes, too.

The Welcome screen looks different. Also, you can control music playback while on the login screen.
LogonUI_thumb.png

Login screen.
It looks rather ugly.

Also, it comes with a PDF reader that utilizes the new "new AppX application package type".
mr_nav_thumb.png

PDF reader

It seems that Microsoft is focusing more on aesthetics instead of functionality.

Apparently, there will also be an App Store (Isn't Apple doing this?) in Windows 8 utilizing a new "application deployment system" called AppX. Details below,

Although Windows 8 will disrupt many components of applications, including how they are written (Immersive) and distributed (application store), AppX concerns only the deployment aspect of applications. More precisely, it’s a tight specification that describes how applications are packaged and installed.

Clearly inspired by XAPs for Silverlight, the critical aspect of AppX packages is an XML manifest file appropriately named the “AppXManifest.xml”. In this file, developers will have to specify many compulsory and optional attributes of their application, in fact, much more than what’s required from Windows Phone developers.

From a specifications document it’s revealed attributes include but are not limited to:

* Application identity – name, publisher, version
* Application architecture – processor architecture, type of application, framework required, operating system version
* Dependencies – name, publisher and minimum version of other required applications
* Capabilities – networking, file system and profile capabilities requested by the application
* OS extensions – associated filetypes and protocols, AutoPlay, “Charms”, notifications, splash screen
* Tile customization – logo, name, description and colors for the tile-based user interface[/p]
Source
the login picture is shit
ohmy.gif

Jotokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its good that its toggleable, since it wastes so much screen space on simple tasks that don't need buttons. If its not, though, I'll just use a replacement for windows explorer. I'm already using an alternate shell (taskbar area) in 7 as it is.

That lock screen looks like it could be good if paired with the right wallpaper, but that particular image looks terrible. Reminds me of Windows Phone 7 a bit, which I would certainly like to see more of in the desktop OS.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Oh no, they've gone the way Microsoft Office did with their huge toolbars! I wants my simple OS interface back!!!
This, this, 1000x this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm