Gaming Windows 8 Consumer Preview, BIG game performance boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Highly doubt a consumer preview will give you a boost in performance from games, you're probably just thinking it because it's all brand new and sparkly.

Unless we see actual benchmarks, I call bull.

Then you can just leave this thread. I have a reputation as a good member of this site, I wouldn't lie, and since I upgraded from Windows 7, I no longer can do FRAPS on Windows 7 for the benchmarks.
I didn't think I'd need to proove myself on a website where I'm already known to be honest and not lie.

As for how I do know how much of an improovement it is, FRAPS. From Dust was unplayable on my Windows 7 installation at ~15-20FPS average. Now it's 27-32FPS average. All my games have a similar effect.

D

Deleted_171835

It's probably more of a case of Windows 7 being horribly bloated with tons of tasks in the background thanks to programs you've installed. When you installed Windows 8, it was a clean install and wasn't bloated.
For the love of whatever diety you worship, read my comment here I did not do a clean install, nor ever even implied I did. I'm not sure why 2 people now just randomly assumed I did.
Oh then it's probably what prowler said. Or you're a Microsoft PR guy.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Then you can just leave this thread. I have a reputation as a good member of this site, I wouldn't lie, and since I upgraded from Windows 7, I no longer can do FRAPS on Windows 7 for the benchmarks.
I didn't think I'd need to proove myself on a website where I'm already known to be honest and not lie.
I'm not saying you're outright lying, I'm saying you're probably just thinking it because it's all new, like most people do.

Edit: Also just because you "have a reputation as a good member" doesn't mean you shouldn't back up what you're saying.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying you're outright lying, I'm saying you're probably just thinking it because it's all new, like most people do.

I edited my post, I'm not a computer or gaming idiot, I've been doing both for several years, even have had numerous jobs in computer repair. I know what I'm talking about. The improovement is all judged by FRAPS, which I'm sure you know is a reliable FPS measurement tool.

@Soulx - ..... The simple fact you called me a "guy" shows you don't know crap about me. See all this stuff I'm saying to prowler, I'm not a computer/gamers rookie by any means.

D

Deleted_171835

@Soulx - ..... The simple fact you called me a "guy" shows you don't know crap about me. See all this stuff I'm saying to prowler, I'm not a computer/gamers rookie by any means.
I'm sorry, dude.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying you're an idiot either :blink: but only going by the judgement of FRAPS and FPS is p. funny.

Games are measured by FPS for their performance, right? If you have low game FPS, you have low game performance, right? That may not be the only measurment for gaming performance, but it's the only one that matters to anyone that plays games (Aside from MMO's/multiplayer games, where internet speed is vital too). I find it "funny" you think there is any other more important thing to measure gaming performance.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heeey lets all just stop arguing and see for ourselves!

Good idea, I'm just gonna log off my computer for a few hours. If anyone refuses to believe me without even trying it, I'm just ignoring their post here from now on.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
If anyone refuses to believe me without even trying it, I'm just ignoring their post here from now on.
Let's all remove our current OS install, just like you, to try what one person on the Internet is claiming to do.

Honestly don't know why you're getting so.. .defensive.
We aren't calling you an idiot or whatever, just calling you out on a rather... big claim that you haven't backed up in no way.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xuphor, no offence or anything, i love ya, but you're taking these comments a little too personal. Calm down a bit yeah?

Yeah seriously Xuphor calm the hell down, you are being overly sensitive over nothing and derailing your own topic.

Not everything is an attack you know.

I'll just address this matter. As you all know, I'm still on my PICC IV line medicines, and will be until later April. Some of them are known to rapidly increase blood pressure and heartrate, which has the additional effect of causing unprovoked anger in most people, including me. I'm already fairly hostile, as a lot of you know, but since I'm also on these medicines through late April, I'm just a paranoid wreck that thinks everyone is out to get me. I'm aware of this, but I can't do anything about it until the medicines stop.

As to you, personally p1ng, I'll be sure to not report absolutely any post from now on until the medicines are over, to be sure I'm not being overly unprovoked angry at people hating me and frustrating you moderators.

EDIT: Much better wording

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't like Windows 8 when I used it (which I'll admit was not verymuch as I didn't like it from the start).
I find the Metro interface far too large and in my face. I have a 1080p screen and can do a lot of stuff in Windows 7 and see every window I have open in detail. THen if I want to start a new app I don't have to hide the entire desktop just to do that, I click start and type the program I want. In Windows 8 everything seemed so huge and in my face. I tried playing some Cut the Rope on it (awkward with a mouse, slightly better with my touchpad) and the entire screen seemed too big. I'd much rather have played it in a 720p window on my Win7 desktop. Simple tasks such as shutting down my laptop also became a chore of going into the Charm Menu, settings then power or logging off and going to the power button. As opposed to just clicking the start menu then shut off. I also found the hot corners (which I have nothing against btw, I use them in GNOME3 all the time) to be very confusing, especially having to swipe down the edge of the screen to avoid dismissing the menu so I can get to my button.

I think Windows 8's interface is a big misstep and could cost Microsoft customers and cause some big problems in business.

Edit: Oh, also, you wiped your Windows 7 install for a beta build of an upgraded version of the OS. That is incredibly silly. If you're installing on hardware you at least dual boot. That way if things go wrong (which they will because its a beta OS) you can easily get into your old OS to use your computer.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
As this thread sparked a bit of interest in me I decided to spend the last few hours doing a fresh install of both Win7 and Win8 to see if there was any difference in performance in my setup, if anything Windows 8 performed worse on my hardware, but only in physics, and not by much, everything else I would say is within margin of error - i'm going to redo the 3D mark tests to double check the physics score.

Results:
https://docs.google....d=0&output=html

I used Deus Ex: HR as it's the only game I own which I know supported DX11, and it's beginning area with you auto-walking through a lab is easily repeated and is not pre-rendered - maybe not the most action intensive but it'll have to do.

I wasn't planning on using my spreadsheet here so sorry if the notes don't make much sense, but I couldn't be bothered to retype them :P (also left the WEI scores, wanted to see if MS got the scores the same, i'd say they're near enough for margin of error)

Only difference between the two setups (other than the OS) was the graphics drivers, there was a slightly newer release available for Win8 but did not appear to have anything new other than support for Win8.

EDIT: Reran the 3Dmark tests, not to sure what to make of the physics score - both scores are now closer, but both now noticeably higher than the previous test, all other scores near enough the same as before :unsure:

Reactions: 1 person

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rubbish. My PC specs are as follows:

Win7 Pro x64
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Intel i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos SATA III MLC SSD
8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Core Classified

Windows 8 from a pure cold boot is faster, but there is absolutely NOT a 20-50% FPS increase in gaming. I don't care who says otherwise... I've done the tests and it's just not true. At all.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering how many people have saying they've tried it and it's false, I guess it's related to something else on my computer. Requesting lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone