Hardware Windows 7 64-bit Computer - Locking up or restarting while using Chrome or Minecraft Java Edition

ChristianKirbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here is a bit of a problem-- almost every single time, I sit down at my computer to play in a survival world. Just when I finish booting up the game, the computer will lock me out. When I say lock me out, I mean it. I cannot move my mouse, my keyboard does nothing, and nothing moves. I tried a different monitor that I had lying around and it still froze, just to check if it was the monitor. The only way to get out of this issue is to hold the power button for over 5 seconds, and wait, and restart it. When it gets to the home screen, it is as if nothing had ever happened. The folders, for some reason, are shuffled around, which is annoying, but nonetheless, it seems to be an annoyance more than anything. With that said, I thought it wasn't a problem, until it happened when I had Chrome open in the background while I was working on a TAS-editor for a video. It did the same thing, and I had to reset it.

So, I have come to a few standpoints-- either the memory usage is too high, granted 2.4GB of memory is a ton, but Minecraft seems to use a lot of it. I used the F3 button, and it looked like it memory dumped every single time. So that is one case. Another is that malware has gotten into it somehow, even though I do have McAfee, firewalls, and I scanned all system files multiple times, with nothing coming up. The PC has every service pack, 1, 2, and 3, but if I have another program open other than minecraft.exe or chrome.exe, nothing goes wrong. Please help me with this, I hope it is not malware or anything like that

Sincerely,
-Link HD

P.S. I will include picture later today of what happens.

Physix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What are your hardware specs? Looks like something memory related since both minecraft and chrome are notorious for using shitload of ram.

Reactions: BigOnYa

ChristianKirbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is:

Windows 7 64-bit
Service Pack 2
AMD-Radeon 4000 Processor (I think)
2048MB of RAM

If you need more I should be able to provide

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So here is what is received when I am doing the above. This is why malware is in the question as this doesnt look like normal behaviour.

Tech Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit(how else would I run 3D?)
Service Pack 2
AMD Radeon 4.0 Processor
2048 MB of RAM

If you need more I will supply

Attachments

• 20210113_085703.jpg
    20210113_085703.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158

ChristianKirbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was just wondering because I looked on the internet and did not find any photographs similar to the glitch/fault that I got, so that is why it is curious. How easy/difficult would it be to replace the GPU, as I cant exactly do extensive work on it right now.

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just wondering because I looked on the internet and did not find any photographs similar to the glitch/fault that I got, so that is why it is curious. How easy/difficult would it be to replace the GPU, as I cant exactly do extensive work on it right now.
swapping gpu is pretty easy. but first I would clean the inside of the case and then re-seat your current gpu and see if that fixes it

but first of all run memtest86+

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Could ram sticks cause a graphical error like this though? Or GPU? It might be likely, but I am unsure.

Memtest is easy enough to run that it could be an easy diagnosis.

I’m also unsure which CPU/GPU you have, if it’s an integrated GPU then it will share the RAM.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
2GB Ram shouldn't cause the graphical glitches though and that’s why I mentioned I wasn’t sure what they had.
Minecraft requires a minimum of 4gb ram plus the rest of his system doesn't meet minimum specs either.
20210126_222219.jpg

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: BigOnYa
D

Deleted User

can this dude just download and run speccy or something and give us a screenshot so we know what specs he actually has?

D

Deleted User

minecraft can run with just 1gb allocated, and if you turn down the settings and use a performance mod like optifine it can run on pretty much any gpu as long as it supports opengl 2.0.
minecraft nowadays if you use the default launcher downloads 64 bit java and allocates a minimum of 2gb ram, so just allocating 1gb is actually old information

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
minecraft nowadays if you use the default launcher downloads 64 bit java and allocates a minimum of 2gb ram, so just allocating 1gb is actually old information

I will link you to Microsofts Web page for Minecraft clearly says minimum specs is 4gb ram for java version

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/store/minecraft-java-edition/

i just tried latest version of minecraft with 1gb. even with a lot of entities it doesn't seem to be a problem.
J9QnqQ4.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y