Hacking Will the Homebrew thing be able to run N64, PSP, or PS1 games?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Most of the titles for the Vita are already PS3 games, the Vita was downgraded to nothing more than a companion device for both PS3 and PS4, Sony didn't give it much juice to stand as it's own console.
Sure, just like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048, Gravity Rush, KillZone: Mercenary, Resistance: Burning Skies, Tearaway, LittleBigPlanet PSVita, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice/Delta, ModNation Racers: Road Trip and more. Oh wait, those are PSVita exclusives. :P //List Wars Ensue

You said Sony, and Sony happens to be one of the only suppliers of PSVita exclusives. That, and there's nothing wrong with having the game crossplatform - that's one of the selling points - play it on the home console and transfer your data to your portable when you need to go out.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
PSX was made made by Sony it kinda helps.. if Nintendo put that effort in the yeah it could do N64 maybe but they have not even put SNES games on VC.

Hakamdeebad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, just like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048, Gravity Rush, KillZone: Mercenary, Resistance: Burning Skies, Tearaway, LittleBigPlanet PSVita, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice/Delta, ModNation Racers: Road Trip and more. Oh wait, those are PSVita exclusives. :P //List Wars Ensue

You said Sony, and Sony happens to be one of the only suppliers of PSVita exclusives. That, and there's nothing wrong with having the game crossplatform - that's one of the selling points - play it on the home console and transfer your data to your portable when you need to go out.

There's nothing wrong with crossplatform, but I feel like that's all they focused on. Like most of the games for Vita were already available for PS3, but that's just my opinion, I don't have much knowledge on the Vita really, so if you think I'm like extremely wrong, please don't hesitate to enlighten me, kindly.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's nothing wrong with crossplatform, but I feel like that's all they focused on. Like most of the games for Vita were already available for PS3, but that's just my opinion, I don't have much knowledge on the Vita really, so if you think I'm like extremely wrong, please don't hesitate to enlighten me, kindly.
I think that Sony poured a lot of effort into the PSVita throughout its first two years and I commend them for the stuff they've released for it - Uncharted and Wipeout are major IP's and those were launch games, Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway or Escape Plan are entirely new IP's invented specifically the system, clearly Sony cared and wanted their product to succeed. They tried to put some big hitter on there and although their excitement mellowed down in the third year and they began releasing ports and HD collections, for instance the God of War collection or the Ratchet & Clank one, I can't really accuse them of lack of support.

The PSVita just didn't catch on and Sony didn't have enough resources to give it a full-on first-party CPR while simultaneously pushing the PS4 - Nintendo is in the same situation with the Wii U now. The PSVita doesn't need more first-party titles, what it needs is third-party support - they have it in Japan, but it's yet to catch its stride in the west, at least that's how I see it.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP and the 3DS are nowhere near identical in overall specs, the 3DS is objectively far more powerful and modern. As for its emulation capabilities, everything depends on how homebrew devs will approach parallelism and how much performance they can squeeze out of the machine. I expect smooth PS1 emulation with most titles and at the very least PoC N64 emulation, although most titles will probably run with issues.
Yeah, it's more powerful, but I wouldn't say by that much, at least in processing potential. Then again, with how crappy the PSP's ME is, I can understand disregarding it. I haven't tried coding yet for the 3DS, so I don't really know its potential, but I can't imagine that many emulators working that much better on the 3DS than their PSP counterparts. In other aspects, the 3DS is far better, but those don't seem that significant for emulation as one of the bigger bottlenecks on the PSP was its CPU, even with its MIPS architecture for emulating consoles with similar architectures.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
everything which i can see is people saying: "No, won't work" without know nothing, oh Dear God. but PSP had a good compatibility(PSX/N64) because the architecture anyway.

in the PSP scene N64 emu is not the best... and PS1 has popsloader..

Hakamdeebad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that Sony poured a lot of effort into the PSVita throughout its first two years and I commend them for the stuff they've put on it - Uncharted and Wipeout are major IP's and those were launch games, Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway or Escape Plan are entirely new IP's invented specifically the system, clearly Sony cared and wanted their product to succeed. They tried to put some big hitter on there and although their excitement mellowed down in the third year and they began releasing ports and HD collections, for instance the God of War collection or the Ratchet & Clank one, I can't really accuse them of lack of support.

The PSVita just didn't catch on and Sony didn't have enough resources to give it a full-on first-party CPR while simultaneously pushing the PS4 - Nintendo is in the same situation with the Wii U now. The PSVita doesn't need more first-party titles, what it needs is third-party support - they have it in Japan, but it's yet to catch its stride in the west, at least that's how I see it.

That's what I thought as well, I feel like they tried to promote the hell out of it and it didn't catch on much because maybe the games didn't appeal to the demographic as much as they thought it would, so they resorted to remakes and stuff. It's a damn shame though, the Vita is a very powerful console, it should've received more attention from third party developers. I also feel like the PS4 kind of outshone the Vita by a lot and people paid more attention to the PS4 than Vita. Nintendo is going all out on the Wii U this year though, and Smash should be more than enough to make the Wii U stronger this year.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's what I thought as well, I feel like they tried to promote the hell out of it and it didn't catch on much because maybe the games didn't appeal to the demographic as much as they thought it would, so they resorted to remakes and stuff. It's a damn shame though, the Vita is a very powerful console, it should've received more attention from third party developers. I also feel like the PS4 kind of outshone the Vita by a lot and people paid more attention to the PS4 than Vita. Nintendo is going all out on the Wii U this year though, and Smash should be more than enough to make the Wii U stronger this year.
They promoted it as a machine capable of delivering AAA games on the go and it's just that - it really can do it. Thing is, not a lot of people seemed to be interested in that kind of thing, so, I quote a Sony exec here (forgot his name), the system is catching its second wind with Indies and Remote Play, the latter being an extremely interesting feature. The Internet speeds are only going to get faster with the increasing competitiveness on the ISP market and I can totally imagine streaming my PS4 content over long distances using this feature (in fact, some people already do just that with their PSVita's in addition to playing PSVita's native games). Would I like to see more AAA content on the system? I would, but first the system needs to reach figures that validate AAA development.

As far as the Wii U is concerned, I think by the end of this generation it will sell modestly, but well enough not to be a complete failure. I don't think Nintendo is capable of keeping it afloat solely with first-party titles and it definitely doesn't have the juice to run PS4/XBO-level software without cutting corners, so I see it as an alternative console and I think that's a niche in which it can survive - it just needs third-party support to make devs jump on board, and with Nintendo titles driving the sales hopefully they will.

Aaaand now that we've explored that, we can head back to N64 and PS1 emulation on the 3DS. :P

Hakamdeebad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They promoted it as a machine capable of delivering AAA games on the go and it's just that - it really can do it. Thing is, not a lot of people seemed to be interested in that kind of thing, so, I quote a Sony exec here (forgot his name), the system is catching its second wind with Indies and Remote Play, the latter being an extremely interesting feature. The Internet speeds are only going to get faster with the increasing competitiveness on the ISP market and I can totally imagine streaming my PS4 content over long distances using this feature (in fact, some people already do just that with their PSVita's in addition to playing PSVita's native games). Would I like to see more AAA content on the system? I would, but first the system needs to reach figures that validate AAA development.

As far as the Wii U is concerned, I think by the end of this generation it will sell modestly, but well enough not to be a complete failure. I don't think Nintendo is capable of keeping it afloat solely with first-party titles and it definitely doesn't have the juice to run PS4/XBO-level software without cutting corners, so I see it as an alternative console and I think that's a niche in which it can survive - it just needs third-party support to make devs jump on board, and with Nintendo titles driving the sales hopefully they will.

Aaaand now that we've explored that, we can head back to N64 and PS1 emulation on the 3DS. :P

Hahah. On that note, I have high hopes for PSX emulators for 3DS.

Paraxamos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Point is, PSP and the Vita were always marketed as the device for teens/adults which hurt them big way. The PSP back in the day had a really rough start but since smartphones weren't really a thing and the idea of having almost PS2 kind of graphic with the beloved Sony IPs + 3rd party support, was a huge selling point after a while. After the first exclusive GTA came out (which was also the good ol' game, for downgrading) and all the fuzz around piracy/homebrew and such, this thing sold like crazy for it's time. More units sold = more 3rd party support. If you take a look at the library nowadays on the PSP, you'll see many games which came from 3rd party studios, either exclusive for the PSP or games which came for PS2 and PSP. But the time it took, to get to that spot, was pretty long - which was fine, because the only competition was the Nintendo DS, which had a complete different demographic - no smartphones or other crap.
The PSP was also my personal entry point in the whole "scene" and I remember the huge steps pretty well. The first Iso Loader, ridiculous things like a modchip for downgrading, which you had to solder under a microscope (I still have one fat PSP, which has one, as a relict of the "old times"), the pandora battery, the D. Alex CFW ("hail to the king, baby";)) and so much more cool stuff.

Today the only reason the 3DS is going so well is because of the old nintendo fans and the demographic (which is primary childs and teens max - no adults), which still works for a mobile console. The Vita targeted adults - again- and those people simply use their Smartphone nowadays, if they want to play something. I mean, sure, the 3DS is selling great but even then I almost see no people plying it when I am in the city/train and so on. If I compare it to 2005/06/07, before the smartphone hype, it's a huuuuge difference. I saw people playing with their DS and PSP all the time - today, not so much.

Sony did almost everything they could. Sure, they could have marketed maybe better and more, but they tried with so many exclusives (which Foxy named a few of and almost all of them are fantastic), point is, they realised that "AAA-gaming on the go" for their targeted demographic, is simply outdated and they had to learn it the hard way. At some point you have to realize at a company, that you have to let go a product, if it doesn't work, even if it is a console and that is what sony did.

Japan has 3rd Party support sure, but outside of their usual dating sims, it's almost JRPGs only, so I wouldn't call that "full 3rd Party support". I love my both Vitas, I really do, and even if you have played all the exclusives, there is still no better JRPG machine than the vita (even better than the 3ds). I mean Tale of the Hearts R and both Hyperdemension titles were released over the last 2 or 3 months (3 great JRPGs in such a short period of time), with more titles coming soon + you can import some JRPGs, which get relesead in China first and have English texts then.

But if you don't like that genre and no Indie games, the deal is pretty much done. This will be Sonys last mobile device and I simply hope, we will find a native vita K-Exploit within the next few years, so we can have homebrew for that baby, since it is such a great and powerful machine.

Reactions: garrlker

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I remember playing psx games with my old pentium 2 650 mhz computer... like 10-12 years ago. and it was full speed! isn't 3ds stronger than that?

in meantime I'm playing retro games in my asus tf 101 with ipega controller. it's great to play retro games with big screen size on your hand. :D

Reactions: Margen67

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
The PSP and the 3DS are nowhere near identical in overall specs, the 3DS is objectively far more powerful and modern. As for its emulation capabilities, everything depends on how homebrew devs will approach parallelism and how much performance they can squeeze out of the machine. I expect smooth PS1 emulation with most titles and at the very least PoC N64 emulation, although most titles will probably run with issues.
3DS is more modern I'll give you that. But CPU is not more powerful. Maybe even less powerful than PSP 333MHz mode. Daedalus also uses second PSP core.

PS1 may be possible. Again, there is at least one PC emulator (CVGS) that ran on hardware as low as Pentium Pro 200MHz (I personally tested it on P2 400MHz) at full speeds no problem. And Pentium is x86, not MIPS, not to mention that it's overall performance was lower than the ARM in 3DS.
Pentium Pro is more powerful out-of-order design.

I remember playing psx games with my old pentium 2 650 mhz computer... like 10-12 years ago. and it was full speed! isn't 3ds stronger than that?
No. New (relatively, ARM11 is 2002) does not mean more powerful.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS is more modern I'll give you that. But CPU is not more powerful. Maybe even less powerful than PSP 333MHz mode. Daedalus also uses second PSP core.

MHz really doesn't mean much. Also, the PSP's ME (second core) is just a crap parallel core. It may sound great in theory, but if you utilize it, it has to use a good chunk of resources from the main core to run, so the benefit of using it isn't as great as many make it out to be. The main advantage to the PSP is its MIPS architecture, which a lot older consoles used older variations of. The main advantage to the 3DS is it has a proper dual core processor. Now coding an emulator to fully utilize both cores is another story.

This is from the perspective of emulation, yeah there are plenty of other aspects to look at but CPU tends to be the main bottleneck on homebrew emulators.

ndstuff

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland

It really isn't. ARM11 is an ancient design as well. Sure, UltraHLE also ran fullspeed back then but it doesn't mean games were actually playable.

3DS is enough powerful to emulate N64/PSX

but i don't think that it can run PSP games

Emulate? Sure. Run them at acceptable speed and accuracy? No.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The 3DS absolutely has the power for an N64 emulator. The 3D models for the fight scenes in Pokemon X/Y range between 3-9k polys each, something that would have been in the wildest dreams of any N64 developer. And the animation and game logic of N64 games is extremely simple. So an N64 emulator could work, but it would need to be optimized correctly.

edit:
3DS Pica2000 = 15.3 million polygons per second
N64 RSP = 100,000 polygons per second.

Pretty damn more powerful.

D

Deleted-355425

Just buy a vita if you want a amazing screen and retro games, I have 5 vitas all in different fitmwares waiting for a kernal exploit. Once I know which I need I can dump the rest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries