Hacking Will the Homebrew thing be able to run N64, PSP, or PS1 games?

ndstuff

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
The 3DS absolutely has the power for an N64 emulator. The 3D models for the fight scenes in Pokemon X/Y range between 3-9k polys each, something that would have been in the wildest dreams of any N64 developer. And the animation and game logic of N64 games is extremely simple. So an N64 emulator could work, but it would need to be optimized correctly.

edit:
3DS Pica2000 = 15.3 million polygons per second
N64 RSP = 100,000 polygons per second.

Pretty damn more powerful.

Unfortunately that is not how emulation works.

Reactions: Friendsxix

desertwarior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
Just buy a vita if you want a amazing screen and retro games, I have 5 vitas all in different fitmwares waiting for a kernal exploit. Once I know which I need I can dump the rest.

just buy an extra one let it set at a very old firmware and once something like this happen "kernal exploit" update your firmware unlike the 3ds the vita can be updated to any firmeware with just your pc and the open content manager and some trick , no need to buy 5 vitas , anyway anything fw3.18 and lower is good for now .

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately that is not how emulation works.

Unfortunately, it's a large part of it. On the GPU side, the 3DS is absolutely up to the task, is all I'm saying. As for the game logic and animation, well, that really shouldn't be to large of a load for the 3DS CPU. As has been stated in this thread and is basically known everywhere else, you need at least 2x the performance to emulate, and ideally 4x, which the 3DS absolutely has over the N64.

And pica is an abomination of a gpu that isn't useful for emulators anyway.
It's actually quite useful, the question though is whether anyone is willing to actually put in the effort to utilize it well; it's a lot of untapped processing power if you choose not to.

Paraxamos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Buying a Vita now would not help if he would like to emulate PSP games/PSX Games right NOW. He would most certainly find a Vita with an old FW, but you need the game for an exploit as well. Sure, there is probably a new exploitable game every 3-5 months (just have a look over at wololo.net and the amount of games, which let you run an exploit, will hit you in the face), but still.

If he would like to have full PSP/PSX support now, he could simply buy a PSP which emulates PSX better. But the OP has a Vita anway, so the discussion about buying a vita is useless anyway:P

Otherwise you are of course right, you only need 2 vitas, not 5.

I have my Vita from the release day with the 3G module ( yeah, totally useful:P) at 1.81 with Urbanix. Runs the latest TN-V like a champ and I am on such an old FW that a native Vita K-Exploit would most definetly run, I guess. The other Vita is for playing the regular Vita games. Owning 5 vitas with the background of waiting on a KExploit is dumb, owing 5 vitas because you like vitas and want to have different versions, of course not:P

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, it's a large part of it. On the GPU side, the 3DS is absolutely up to the task, is all I'm saying. As for the game logic and animation, well, that really shouldn't be to large of a load for the 3DS CPU. As has been stated in this thread and is basically known everywhere else, you need at least 2x the performance to emulate, and ideally 4x, which the 3DS absolutely has over the N64.

I usually heard you need 10 times the performance. And you are forgetting one thing, 3DS is 32 bit, while N64 is 64 bit, this alone needs more power than 32-bit PSX. Then, N64 is much more complex.
Another comparison is how N64 emulation worked on PC. Let's take two relatively heavy emulator, considered the best. I was able to run ePSXe on P2 400MHz with some problems, but it was playable. Project 64 on the other hand... 10FPS is far from playable, and frameskip wasn't helping, since it was the CPU instructions that couldn't hold up.
Now someone here said Pentium Pro is better than ARM11... if that's true, then Pentium 2 definitely would be.

D

Deleted-355425

Ones
Buying a Vita now would not help if he would like to emulate PSP games/PSX Games right NOW. He would most certainly find a Vita with an old FW, but you need the game for an exploit as well. Sure, there is probably a new exploitable game every 3-5 months (just have a look over at wololo.net and the amount of games, which let you run an exploit, will hit you in the face), but still.

If he would like to have full PSP/PSX support now, he could simply buy a PSP which emulates PSX better. But the OP has a Vita anway, so the discussion about buying a vita is useless anyway:P

Otherwise you are of course right, you only need 2 vitas, not 5.

I have my Vita from the release day with the 3G module ( yeah, totally useful:P) at 1.81 with Urbanix. Runs the latest TN-V like a champ and I am on such an old FW that a native Vita K-Exploit would most definetly run, I guess. The other Vita is for playing the regular Vita games. Owning 5 vitas with the background of waiting on a KExploit is dumb, owing 5 vitas because you like vitas and want to have different versions, of course not:P
They are all different models and stuff, in the UK it's near impossible to find a 1000 vita on a firmware lower then 2.0, ones a ldu others are 3.18 old and new model so they all have their own use :)

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I usually heard you need 10 times the performance. And you are forgetting one thing, 3DS is 32 bit, while N64 is 64 bit, this alone needs more power than 32-bit PSX. Then, N64 is much more complex.
Another comparison is how N64 emulation worked on PC. Let's take two relatively heavy emulator, considered the best. I was able to run ePSXe on P2 400MHz with some problems, but it was playable. Project 64 on the other hand... 10FPS is far from playable, and frameskip wasn't helping, since it was the CPU instructions that couldn't hold up.
Now someone here said Pentium Pro is better than ARM11... if that's true, then Pentium 2 definitely would be.

Of course, but I'm only talking about what is "technically" possible, raw hardware numbers it definitely is. It comes down to an issue of optimal coding. A lot of work needs to be put in to get it to where it needs to be. But the Wii64 guys had been developing a dynamic recompiler for an N64 emulator on the Wii and made great progress with it, and much of the work done on that can be reapplied to an emulator on the 3DS.
http://emulatemii.com/wordpress/?p=106

It's the same route the RCPS3 PS3 emulator team is now going as well.

Paraxamos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ones

They are all different models and stuff, in the UK it's near impossible to find a 1000 vita on a firmware lower then 2.0, ones a ldu others are 3.18 old and new model so they all have their own use :)

Ah, ok, that makes sense.
It wasn't directly aimed at you anyway, but owning 5 vitas of the same model, when you, let's say, already own a 1000 with such a low FW like 1.81 (or even lower), would make no sense, if you only bought them for exploits, since, like already stated, are able to update it on a specific FW, unlike the 3DS.

But you can never have enough Vitas and PSPs anyway - only have 2 vitas, but probably about 7 or 8 Psps which just came in over the years:P

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
3DS is more modern I'll give you that. But CPU is not more powerful. Maybe even less powerful than PSP 333MHz mode. Daedalus also uses second PSP core.
Oh please.
PSP
CPU: MIPS R4000 @333Mhz (16/16KB L1 cache, in-order execution/completion)
GPU: 33M polygons(bottlenecked), 2MB vRAM
RAM: 32-64MB

3DS
CPU: Dual-core ARM11 RISC @268Mhz (32/32KB L1 cache, 256KB L2 per-core, out-of-order completion)
GPU: Pica200 @268Mhz, 21M polygons (advanced lighting/shaders, tessellation, etc), 6MB vRAM
RAM: 128MB FCRAM (96MB+ games, 32MB OS)
No. New (relatively, ARM11 is 2002) does not mean more powerful.
Actually it does. And ARM11MPcore is from 2003, not 2002.

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
If a Dingoo a320 can somehow properly emulate some PS1 games I think a 3DS can do it too
Dingoo is more powerful than 3DS and is a MIPS.

spyro3dsguy, ARM11 is not out of order. GPU is irrelevant for emus.

Pretty much everything is more powerful than 3DS including old chinese machines. 3DS CPU technology is from 2002 and GPU from 2006.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
also 3ds has mmu, mmu saves a lot of address translation time (if you had both virtual buffered emulated system, and emulator's actual buffer system[which runs on the hardware] exchanging data). that speeds up most transfers otherwise that labour would have to be done by the CPU (and that affect the whole chain emulation)

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dingoo is more powerful than 3DS and is a MIPS.

spyro3dsguy, ARM11 is not out of order. GPU is irrelevant for emus.

Pretty much everything is more powerful than 3DS including old chinese machines. 3DS CPU technology is from 2002 and GPU from 2006.

Are you even aware there are 2 kinds of out-of-order in processing? OoOE(xecution) and OoOC(ompletion). Having only one and not the other can cause performance bottlenecks like I mentioned in the GCN vs 3DS debate where the GCN had OoOE but in-order completion making it no better than the ARM11 in that field.
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/raspberry-pi/arm11-microarchitecture/

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also, I don't think New 3DS will help in any way, more cores doesn't mean faster... more mhz helps emulators, not more cores

More cores DO help improve preformace for emulators, though in the case of the 3DS it will mean they run "better" on the new 3DS that doesn't mean there are playable yet.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More cores DO help improve preformace for emulators, though in the case of the 3DS it will mean they run "better" on the new 3DS that doesn't mean there are playable yet.

Only if the emulators are programmed to take advantage of multiple cores, yes, then will it make a difference. If it's only programmed to use one core, more cores won't mean a damn thing for performance.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
PSP: Hell no.
N64: Possibly. It may require a faster processor, but the 3DS's CPU has better architecture than most ARM11 devices(multi-core, L2 cache, etc).
PS1: Obviously that would run no problem (with possible exception of huge games).

I think 3DS will be able to play PS1 games much like the PSP used to play them. The PSP also emulated the console and has similar specs to the 3DS.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-vs-psp-3000-graphics.334847/) - spec comparison between PSP and 3DS (and some other consoles not intersting for the debate which emulators are going to work on the 3DS)

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Only if the emulators are programmed to take advantage of multiple cores, yes, then will it make a difference. If it's only programmed to use one core, more cores won't mean a damn thing for performance.

yeah but as the new 3DS is the most powerful 3DS most devs for emulators will use it to get the most out of there emulators (I could even imagine some emulators will only work on the new 3DS because of it Superior hardware!)

Link999123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just buy a vita if you want a amazing screen and retro games, I have 5 vitas all in different fitmwares waiting for a kernal exploit. Once I know which I need I can dump the rest.
The way you put that sounded so cruel... But N64 is worth it lol.
So is Ps1 and Descent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: F