Will the files on my computer be deleted if I change the OS?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Depends on how your files are stored (i.e. system partition Vs separate drives/partitions) and the method you used (e.g. upgrade Vs clean install or 'erase and install' Vs 'resize and install').

In any case, I'd advise making a backup.

Some more context may help, especially since you're looking at two wildly different potential scenarios.

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Depends on how your files are stored (i.e. system partition Vs separate drives/partitions) and the method you used (e.g. upgrade Vs clean install or 'erase and install' Vs 'resize and install').

In any case, I'd advise making a backup.

Some more context may help, especially since you're looking at two wildly different potential scenarios.
I have a ntfs file system in my c: drive

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For example: when going from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, or from Windows 10 to Linux
From Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, your data will be safe automatically if you select the proper option.

From Windows to Linux, you will need to make a backup yourself before installing Linux in the same storage device by setting up a dualboot and install each OS in its own partition.

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
From Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, o¡your data will be safe automatically if you select the proper option.

From Windows to Linux, you will need to make a backup yourself before installing Linux in the same storage device unless you setup a dualboot and install each OS on its own partition.
And he should still backup any files he can't afford to lose because glitches exist and mistakes happen.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1703078245381.png

If you do a windows upgrade you can keep your files, but you can't keep your files if you install Linux over windows.
When you do the upgrade option it keep your files and setting. The bottom custom option wiped your current operating system, repartition the drive and reinstall windows.

Last edited by Hayato213,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
For example: when going from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, or from Windows 10 to Linux
To install Linux, you have to shrink your Windows partition to make empty unpartitioned space. EaseUS Partition Master can do this.

There are alternative methods, like WubiUEFI (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi) which stores the Linux partition as a file inside your Windows partition, with the result of slightly lower read/write speeds, but otherwise functions like a normal dual boot.

WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) can be an option depending on what you need, it runs Linux on top of Windows (kinda like a VM, but is not a VM, but integrated into Windows itself), by default it's command line only, but you can install GUI stuff, it's more convenient since it's always available (no rebooting, no boot times), but not all Linux software is supported. If you just want to play around with Linux software this can be good enough and you are not wasting space on a Linux partition that will rarely be used. But since it's command line only by default getting GUI stuff set up takes some effort, best use a guide.

Windows upgrades never delete your files. The correct way IIRC to do a Windows upgrade is to run the setup from within Windows and it will give you the upgrade option. The option to format is only available when using the bootable setup. So running it from within Windows, there's no way you can mistakenly format your drive.

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming that you are switching to Linux or you want a fresh Windows install, if you can, get a second hard drive. When you install, disconnect the first drive, install the new OS to the second drive, then reconnect the first drive. You might need to fiddle with the bios a bit to get it to boot the right OS after you reconnect the first drive, but there is no risk of losing files that way.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Assuming that you are switching to Linux or you want a fresh Windows install, if you can, get a second hard drive. When you install, disconnect the first drive, install the new OS to the second drive, then reconnect the first drive. You might need to fiddle with the bios a bit to get it to boot the right OS after you reconnect the first drive, but there is no risk of losing files that way.

LOL. Wut? That's like the most convoluted way of doing this. They aren't trying to dual boot, which wouldn't require a second drive anyway.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't recommend that method for dual-booting operating systems, its way too tedious. There are options when you install an OS for the first time, that ask you which HDD you want to install it to.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why do I have a feeling op is going to lose a lot of files and that the move to a different os is going to go terribly wrong? If the initial question had to even be asked, I can't see Linux as being a good choice either. :lol:
Wow, that sounds rude (and isn't helpful the least).
If somebody doesn't know about things and asks for help and information… well, that is the most sensible way of dealing with the unknown.
"If you have to ask this question, Linux is a bad choice"?? That does not make sense for me.
When moving from Windows to Linux on my main systems that was precisely my state of knowledge: None. I knew nothing about what was going to happen before considering switching to Linux. I read the f…ing manual, asked people around me and everything went fine (that was 2006).
====

Backup has been mentioned several times in this thread. And I want to repeat that: Any moment data loss can happen for various reasons. OS upgrade/change going wrong (software and/or user error) is only one occasion. So:

Backup your files regularly and
particularly before potentially dangerous procedures!

That is certainly a way for a desktop PC (or a laptop with at least two connectors for HDD/SSD). I've done that very recently because not trusting either the Windows setup or myself as far as I can throw. Now I (ab)use BIOS boot selection menu for dual boot purposes (WinXP and Win10) on a secondary computer.
Worth noting that fiddling with hardware is something to gain confidence in first. Not that it is hard (in most cases), but I just want to mention it. Some people are dead set against ever touching the hardware side.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you will lost everything files on C: drive when change or upgrade to different operating system. Anyone must do partition on hard drive/SSD to take a lot of free space from C: drive to turn into D: drive for storage only like drivers, games, etc. Important to download all drivers like internet, video card (Intel, AMD, Nvidia), Chipset, Wifi and more on D: drive for storage only will never give anyone problems for many years.

I recommend backup files to external hard drive/SSD, USB thumb drive, and other storage like SD, SDHC/SDXC, microSD/SDHC/SDXC, disc like CD/DVD/Blu-ray for very important files to keep on them.

I strong recommend anyone to use IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free program on Windows XP up to Windows 12 to take a lot of free space from hard drive/SSD C: drive. Shrink C: Drive to about between 120 GB - 250 GB and take all free space to turn in D: drive for storage only. Everyone will not lost files on D: Drive for storage only when they want to upgrade or change different operating system on C: Drive only. Never, never touch D: drive for storage when operating system ask for to format then No! Cancel format on D: drive for storage, only format on C: drive only is fine!

Operating system don't need a lot of space on C: Drive like over between 160 GB - 300 GB or more.

IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free homepage (Support Windows 2000 to Windows 12):
https://www.resize-c.com/

1703976437619.png

1703976544597.png

Extend / shrink disk partition
Resize system partition
Wipe disk / partition
Copy partition
Delete partition
Format partition
Hide partition
Convert to FAT32 / NTFS
Convert to logical / primary partition

I used this IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free on my Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 10 and Windows 11 without problems. It's best software in the world! It's amazing and very useful to me. B-):yay:

Last edited by console,

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 409646

If you do a windows upgrade you can keep your files, but you can't keep your files if you install Linux over windows.
When you do the upgrade option it keep your files and setting. The bottom custom option wiped your current operating system, repartition the drive and reinstall windows.
Wait, did this (custom option) actually change? Last I remembered it doesn't actually wipe the existing formatted partition or the OS, it just moves them to Windows.old folder.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, did this (custom option) actually change? Last I remembered it doesn't actually wipe the existing formatted partition or the OS, it just moves them to Windows.old folder.

upgrade keep your files, custom delete the old partition and reformat the drive. Windows.old is a backup of older windows if you go from like windows 10 to Windows 11.

Reactions: BigOnYa

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
upgrade keep your files, custom delete the old partition and reformat the drive. Windows.old is a backup of older windows if you go from like windows 10 to Windows 11.
I have just tried this custom option and have confirmed that it does not wipe Windows or it's partition. Granted only Windows and it's related partitions were on the drive, no other partitions. Only time it creates a partition if it is unformatted or the drive is unallocated. Windows and everything tied to Windows gets moved to Windows.old regardless of versioning. Any files that isn't inside of the Windows location like userprofile, those file do survive. For example a file stored on the root of the drive survives the custom option install. Everything inside of userprofile will most likely be move to windows.old. I have tried this with the latest 23H2 Windows 11 iso file.
If someone click on "Delete" or "Format" option, then that would wipe the partition and it's contents.
Now if you have an answer file, then yes, that could result in auto wiping of Windows and the partitions, since no user input is required and if it contain a criteria to how to format the drive.
Technically all files survives since some just gets moved to windows.old, due to reason stated above.
Windows11.old.png

For a moment there I thought I was suffering from the Mandela effect.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c