Hacking WiiU disc drive "squeak" noise at startup without a disc inside

rorro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Recently i have been playing nothing but vWii games using an USB loader, so im not using my disc drive at all. The weird thing is, that when i dont have any disc inside the console, the moment i turn on my WiiU i hear a squeak noise that lasts like 3 seconds.

I dont know if that is normal or if i should worry. Its a very noticeable squeak, like an old printer. I dont know if it is the sound of the lens that is moving or something. When i turn off the console i also hear it.

The thing is, that if i have a disc inside the console i dont hear that squeak, but i do hear the disc spinning (normal sound). I dont like to wear my disc drive or hear that sound if im not using the drive at all, so thats the reason why the drive doesnt have any disc inside.... but then again, i do hear that squeak everytime i turn on/off my WiiU.

If thats normal, i dont care... its loud and it sounds like something is wrong, but only lasts 3 seconds and if it is normal im OK with that... i just want to know if i do have a defective drive or something.

Thanks in advance.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure its normal. That printer noise is the drive checking for the disc or something. Same thing happens on my Wii U. How old is your console? I've heard newer Wii U's supposedly have quieter drives.

rorro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Pretty sure its normal. That printer noise is the drive checking for the disc or something. Same thing happens on my Wii U. How old is your console? I've heard newer Wii U's supposedly have quieter drives.

Well, i do have a fairly new console... the Super Mario 3D World bundle.

I was worried because the "printer noise" its pretty loud... I remember the Dreamcast used to make the same noises ALL the time and it was anoying as hell... i had 2 dreamcasts and you couldnt play during the night because of the noise... it was THAT loud...

But this noise only last like 2-3 seconds, only at startup and when powering off the console... i noticed that after a month of usage the noise is not louder but its different...

But like i said, if its "normal" i dont really care... its just that its pretty noisy for today standards (my PS3 has NEVER made a sound like that... nor my laptop or desktop DVD drives...), so thats the reason why i was worried, because its LOUD, VERY noticeable... if it wasnt THAT loud i wouldnt be so worried...

The best way that i have to describe the sound, its like the sound that Robocop (the one from 1989) does when he moves his head.... :D

D

Deleted User

Yes it's normal. No it isn't causing damage or premature wear. As stated, even the Wii did the same thing. Been putting in discs since 2006 and still going strong.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes it's normal. No it isn't causing damage or premature wear. As stated, even the Wii did the same thing. Been putting in discs since 2006 and still going strong.

My Wii is a Launch NTSC Wii, and my disc drive is still going strong too, mostly thanks to CFG Loader doing all the heavy lifting, and not the Optical drive. :) I only use the drive for ripping an occasional Wii game borrowed from a friend, it's faster than torrenting it most of the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users