Hacking Wii-U's Wii mode already hacked

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Here's hoping that the Wii Mode will allow more homebrew.
Yeah, with any luck, just like DML took advantage of the SD card slot from GameCube mode, there will be stuff Wii U stuff accessible from Wii mode like the gamepad or just better access to the GPU for 3DTV support or real HD instead of just upscaling (kinda like DM(L)'s widescreen hack ... maybe ... ).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, with any luck, just like DML took advantage of the SD card slot from GameCube mode, there will be stuff Wii U stuff accessible from Wii mode like the gamepad or just better access to the GPU for 3DTV support or real HD instead of just upscaling (kinda like DM(L)'s widescreen hack ... maybe ... ).

All we can do is wait....Does anyone know if RetroArch or Snes9xGx use .elf files for the Brawl exploit?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
All we can do is wait....Does anyone know if RetroArch or Snes9xGx use .elf files for the Brawl exploit?
The nice thing about the example shown in the video is that WiiXplorer can run DOL files so as long as you can get that or something like MMM or PostLoader in ELF format ... or even WiiFlow ... maybe ... (as long as it stays in IOS58 mode) you can use one of those loaders to run your DOL files for you.

I can see developers all starting to release ELF files now in the future instead of compressing them to DOL's
(if anyone wants to link a good DOL to ELF converter here I'm sure you'd make lots of people happy about now.)

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is very good news. I'll make sure not to update my Wii U beyond the initial one. The thing I want most is gamecube playback. Because that would be a major kick in the face to nintendo for not making it backward compatible in the first place.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
The nice thing about the example shown in the video is that WiiXplorer can run DOL files so as long as you can get that or something like MMM or PostLoader in ELF format ... or even WiiFlow ... maybe ... (as long as it stays in IOS58 mode) you can use one of those loaders to run your DOL files for you.

I can see developers all starting to release ELF files now in the future instead of compressing them to DOL's
(if anyone wants to link a good DOL to ELF converter here I'm sure you'd make lots of people happy about now.)

all you need to do to my knowledge to have a exploit run a dol is to rename it from .dol to .elf so theres no need for a converter

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the 'no vulnerable IOS' is a message from the homebrew channel elf file that it can't install itself.
So the bathaxx hack is still working :)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Damn...lenselijer beat me to it. :P

Let's see...so Bathaxx and smash stack are working to run unofficial code. I'm kind of curious what sorts of homebrew programs actually work fine when ran this way. Rather than the 4-in-a-row homebrew...why not try out Tantric's emulators? (if nothing else, to check whether all the peripherals work and it can find stuff on SD cards and USB ports). Or DOP-Mii or MMM?

Has anyone tried using ModMii's abstinence wizard on this? Running NEEK on a Wii U through Casper and then getting AHBPROT from a forwarder channel might just work. From there, access to the rest might not be that hard.

Also, can't DOP-Mii patch IOS36 without having to have AHBPROT or an already patched IOS?
(Just a thought)

- - -

Although this might belong better in the hacking theories thready ... :ph34r:
Hmm...for guys like me, running Neek through Casper would actually be enough to have everything (why even bother with the real nand if you've got an USB-drive with EVERYTHING on it?).
Still...if that works, switching back to the real nand seems like a pickle since bootmii isn't on it.

(damnit, why do we Europeans still have to wait ten days? I want to try all this NOW!)

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba

I am not sure if DOL to ELF conversion is possible because DOL is afaik a stripped down ELF without header informations.
However, considering compiler naturally outputs ELF files and DOL files are then created from them using objcopy, it should be damn easy to get ELF files by recompiling them and modify the malefiles.
Though i agree a better solution is to launch a DOL loader first if homebrew can still access SD like before.

About the WiiU being able to run Wii homebrew code at day one, there is nothing surprising really.
It's logical that game specific exploits, which are used to run unauthorized code, still work since the gamedisc itself cannot be patched and the Wii code running on WiiU does not differ from the same code running on Wii. Same goes for save file access to SD, WiiU cannot make difference between game code reading SD and homebrew code doing the same, it's just ...well... code.
So i don't see what the big fuss is about and it certainly does not mean WiiU homebrew is getting closer, that's absurd.

4ndy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And how's that?
If you use quality component cables, you should have no difference, unless your tv's component handling is faulty.

Because it seems that the video output is upscaled to 1080p via HDMI, whereas the component cables only outputs at 480p and lets the TV do the up-scaling to fit your screen.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Theoretical question : what will happen if you succeed in getting unauthorized stuff in virtual wii's system storage and then brick it. Will it gives you the choice to format the virtual wii or something? Or what happens when you format/take to factory mode wii u?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because it seems that the video output is upscaled to 1080p via HDMI, whereas the component cables only outputs at 480p and lets the TV do the up-scaling to fit your screen.
So the output is the same depending of the scaling ability of your tv...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Theoretical question : what will happen if you succeed in getting unauthorized stuff in virtual wii's system storage and then brick it. Will it gives you the choice to format the virtual wii or something? Or what happens when you format/take to factory mode wii u?
I don't think anyone could answer that yet. We're still a bit away from that stage. No doubt someone will try it once HackMii Installer is working though, and apps requiring AHBPROT can be run. (Knowing DeadlyFoez, he'll probably do it not too long after he gets his hands on a WiiU)

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Well, for me, I can reprogram the nand with the infectus. So being as that many people are going to end up bricking their Wii Mode NAND's, I will stay in business :D

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hm, this is kind of nice. I would love to be able to play my homebrew and hacked games on the Wii U, that way I can just use the GameCube for GameCube games, and get rid of the Wii when I get a Wii U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay