Hacking Wii U USB loading - install WiiU games to USB or internal memory

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Same here. Does anyone else have more info on NES Remix? There are two entries for it, which appear to be both for the first game, and no mention of the Pack version. Can this title be installed at all?

AFAIK, NES Remix Pack is not released in EUR region

you can check here
http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database
I imported it into google drive and made a few filter views(data -> filter views) for quicker check
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mwg9ft2ZIvU3LCjmeSKpm7vlMbJxVO6uOMcmImwzstY/edit?usp=sharing

Reactions: Azel

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
yes ok, thanks, i understand that part :) but i'm asking what is the sd card used for in the wii u - without any hacks or piracy.
i'm surprised that we can't install apps to the sd like we can with the wii. so, what else is the sd card for? only used in wii mode?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

but what is the sd card used for if we can't install (real, normal from eshop) games to it? just wii mode?

It's mainly for Wii compatibility.. but the wii u it self doesn't really have any use for SD card (except to load mii maker Barcode and some minor uses)

Reactions: cearp

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The instructions on page 1 are too convoluted. For simplicity's sake and the sanity of the noobs, here's what you do:

Prep work:
1.) Format an SD card you have (8GB minimum recommended) to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size. (I don't care how you do it)

Getting the game:
2.) Download and open NUSGrabber (or NEW-NUSGrabber, as the original won't open for me), find a game you want in the blue "games" tab, and click the DOWNLOAD button.
2a.) Download Wup installer v1.0 mod Y1.0 to the apps folder on the SD card.

Getting the ticket.tik:
3.) Go to "that title keys site" and grab your ticket for the game, (MATCHING YOUR CONSOLE'S REGION) and drop the title.tik into the game's folder that the download is going into. (I haven't had to modify the title.tik files I've downloaded, so you shouldn't need to either.)

Final steps and installation:
4.) Create a new folder on the root of your SD card, called install. Move the game's folder there after the download is finished.
4a.) Put the SD card back into the Wii U, and boot to the Homebrew Launcher. Open WUP Installer Y's MOD, and follow the screen instructions to install the game.
4b.) Once it completes, push Home until you exit to the Home Menu, and launch your game. Repeat steps 2 through 4b for each new game.

That's literally all I've had to do, and it's a simple process once you've done it a couple of times.

Last edited by Jayro,

Goloki

Proud TX Suporter... LOL!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK, NES Remix Pack is not released in EUR region

you can check here
http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database
I imported it into google drive and made a few filter views(data -> filter views) for quicker check
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mwg9ft2ZIvU3LCjmeSKpm7vlMbJxVO6uOMcmImwzstY/edit?usp=sharing

Ah, OK. That makes sense: they are on the eShop as separate games, but not on one disc as a physical version. That's why the EUR versions can't be installed with this method.

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Ah, OK. That makes sense: they are on the eShop as separate games, but not on one disc as a physical version. That's why the EUR versions can't be installed with this method.
In the US, NES Remix and NES Remix 2 are eshop only, NES Remix Pack is disc only, still won't work.

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
yes ok, thanks, i understand that part :) but i'm asking what is the sd card used for in the wii u - without any hacks or piracy.
i'm surprised that we can't install apps to the sd like we can with the wii. so, what else is the sd card for? only used in wii mode?

but what is the sd card used for if we can't install (real, normal from eshop) games to it? just wii mode?
In Mii Maker and SM4SH, it's used to store pictures/replays (stages?).
It's also used in vWii.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France

@cearp >once rednand is working, we will be able to make a 8 or 32Gb image of our nand and install stuff on that too (on the sd card)^^

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
@cearp >once rednand is working, we will be able to make a 8 or 32Gb image of our nand and install stuff on that too (on the sd card)^^
i'm not really one to ask, but yes it will be possible, it's just the nand (wiiu system) on the sd card.
maybe we could make a 64gb/128gb (etc) nand, something like that, i don't think that is unlikely.
it might be simple to achieve.

RodrigoR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
one question about saves...
I have a 1tb hdd wiiu format already (i use for eshop games). And i think my discs dlc and saves are on internal (i dont remember for sure).
If i install "my discs" to my wiiu external hdd, the saves/dlc's will be recognized even if its on the internal? Or i'll need to do something to move it to external hdd?
Thx
Bumping... Someone can clarify this to me? Thanks.

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bumping... Someone can clarify this to me? Thanks.

Save data, dlcs and other extra data for games needs to be on the same device the game is stored on. So if you were to install your disc based games to a usb device, you would also have to copy save data and dlcs from the Wii U's internal storage to the usb device. I explained how it worked earlier in the thread, since you need to follow the steps in a certain order to get it to work, so let me just quote my post from back then:

How to copy save data and dlcs from disc based games to the USB device:

1. First of all, the game can't be installed to the USB HDD / flashdrive before moving or copying save data and dlc from the Wii U's system memory to USB. If it is installed already, you'd have to delete the game through the Wii U's data management and install it again using WUPInstaller after moving the savegame / dlc to USB.
2. To copy the savegame and the dlc if available, head into the Wii U settings and from there into the data management options
3. You should see an option to copy, move or delete data. Choose that and then head into the system memory.
4. Press X on the gamepad to enter data moving mode but do not be confused - this mode allows you not only to move but also to simply copy savegames, dlc and any other extra data for games to USB.
5. After pressing X, choose the games you wish to copy the data from and then press Y. Confirm your choice by hitting the copy button and savegames, dlc and other extra data from the games chosen before will be copied to the USB device.
6. At this point install the game to USB using WUPInstaller. Upon starting the game from USB next time, the savegame you used with the disc version before will be there and ready as well as any dlc you bought for the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1