Hacking Wii U: To wait or not to wait

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
just for the non informed, you can play and use a pc hooked up to your tv, my pc is setup that way with emus and xbmc and xbox 360 gamepad too... i don't understand why majority of people think pc gamers all use a small monitor to play games, it's just not true, and good luck with your decision the_randomizer.

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Okay, so I'm at a stalemate, a standstill if you will, on what I should truly do given the circumstance the Wii U hacking state is in. So what we know so far is that we have a webkit exploit for system update 5.00 and 5.1.0, and as of 5.11 and above, that particular webkit bug has been patched. In order for 5.1.1+ to work, another exploit has to be found, as there are undoubtedly more bugs, so who knows if and when another exploit will be found in the webkit itself, it may be soon, a long time, or never. This leads me to the meat of the topic, do I update or do I await the entire exploit?

With the advent of the recent MK 8 DLC and the ones coming up later this year for the extra courses, karts and characters, not to mention Super Smash Bros, which will likely contain a system update on the disc itself, it begs the question, is it worth waiting? Not to mention I've been approached by some friends of mine and they have inquired as why I haven't been online in a long time, which I admit, I find to be heart-wrenching. Why? Because by my holding out on updating and getting online, they think I'm ignoring them when that's not my intent at all, I simply cannot explain why I'm waiting without telling them why only to have them call me out for wanting to hack the console.

It doesn't help me any that the wireless in my apartment is horrendously bad and super slow (I'll spare the details for now), so online isn't that stable for me on the Wii U anyways. On the other hand, there is also the Trinux method of loading homebrew and the eventuality of installing a hack that way as well. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, do I wait for a true exploit which can spoof the system update and have access to online games and not disappoint friends who have certain expectations, or, do I simply update to 5.1.2 and have false hope of seeing another webkit bug exploit? At this point, I don't even know what I want to do anymore. I bet anything Smash Bros will require a system update for some lame reason, such is the nature of new Nintendo games.

Disclaimer: I await good N64 and PS1 emulators, menu spoofing, region lock removal, that's it. I do NOT want to use Wii U backups and therefore don't care about ODE/ODDE devices.

(I came very late)
Don't worry! Webkit has bugs!, even with the 5.1.1 update Wekit stills have bugs, I'm sure 5.1.1+ will have homebrew! but yeah, if you are in 5.1.1, ONLY the be sure, don't update (I didn't read posts, so sorry if I had say something stupid)

Reactions: FanLuigi

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(I came very late)
Don't worry! Webkit has bugs!, even with the 5.1.1 update Wekit stills have bugs, I'm sure 5.1.1+ will have homebrew! but yeah, if you are in 5.1.1, ONLY the be sure, don't update (I didn't read posts, so sorry if I had say something stupid)

Um too late. I have the reassurances of Marionumber1, a respected Wii U hacking programmer, he too is on 5.1.2, and I have updated as they have reassured me that there isn't much of value for now (I suggest skimming the posts). Something better will come along anyways.

TPMJB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just update, they are going to be getting in an entirely different way than browser exploit. More than likely.

I'm still on 3.1 lol. Games aren't compelling enough where I'd go out and buy them. New Super Mario Bros was kind of a snore fest. So I'm going to hold off in case someone finds something on an earlier firmware version.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To update or not to update......tne age old question.

I too am on 5.1 and am holding for the moment. Sometimes the door does slam shut but usually that door is on a kernel exploit. Lets just look see....

PS3......Essentially the door slammed close after 3.55.....yes you can downgrade phats and early slims but other than that its ODE or nothing.....

X360.....7371 dash was it as far as jtag exploitable dash.....some while later the rgh glitchers came out but they cost a lot more then the $5 is stuff it took to do a jtag.

Wii.....oh yeah it got pawned and pawned forever even in vWii.

3DS.....understand the smea hack is not a kernel exploit and will likely get closed quick. So 4.x is the only firmware with a full kernel exploit......just like 3.55 and 7371 4.5 on 3ds is the promised land. It is sustaniable because just like a jtag or ps3 cfw it can run a bastardized cfw.

So i know your pain because I was on 5.1 when GW announced 4.x was it.....I since bought 2 4.5 3DS.

I actually will likely buy ODE for WiiU. I already have 20+ games so its not about piracy. I just like having all my stufg on HDD and also hope for better load times on games. I am worried we will need this webkit exploit to get our drive keys...

Last point Best Buy was blowing out the Wii Rocket Fish LAN adappter for dirt cheap.....like less than $10. Worked great with Wii so might be worth a try.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just update. Like me and Mario keep saying, you guys don't have anything to gain unless you wanna help us out with exploit dev / start your own group and do your own exploit development. Our final goal is to target 5.1.1+, so normal users don't need to fear getting locked out of anything we're working on right now.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WulfyStylez Quicksilver88 and to all others who have posted, I have updated to 5.1.2, bought a LAN adapter at long last and it works amazingly, I've never seen the eShop load up so fast in my life lol :D :rofl2: Mario Kart 8 works perfectly online, well, I got one communication error out of five battles, so that's a good track record where. Thank you everyone, for the feedback and to know that eventually, a bigger and better means of hacking will become available at one point.

Fatalframe4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WulfyStylez Quicksilver88 and to all others who have posted, I have updated to 5.1.2, bought a LAN adapter at long last and it works amazingly, I've never seen the eShop load up so fast in my life lol :D :rofl2: Mario Kart 8 works perfectly online, well, I got one communication error out of five battles, so that's a good track record where. Thank you everyone, for the feedback and to know that eventually, a bigger and better means of hacking will become available at one point.
Enjoying the free Mercedes DLC? Love it and prepurchased the future DLC as well!

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enjoying the free Mercedes DLC? Love it and prepurchased the future DLC as well!

I haven't used it yet. but MK 8 did update to version 2.0 (which took a bit of time, not too bad though), online was far more stable, Ethernet is just the way to go ;) I haven't downloaded it, but will tomorrow, today was primarily a test to see. Hopefully that communication error was simply a fluke :P

All I know is that I'm gonna be a cool kid and not update and just buy a new Wii U.

Um...okay..?

Fatalframe4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, there was no sarcasm or anything In what I just said, I was just in the same situation trying to decide whether to update or wait for homebrew, I went for the update so that I can play my free digital version of windwaker that I got with MK8.
Do you have a 32 GB Wii U? You should have enough for $5 back from the Deluxe Digital Promotion.

I haven't used it yet. but MK 8 did update to version 2.0 (which took a bit of time, not too bad though), online was far more stable, Ethernet is just the way to go ;) I haven't downloaded it, but will tomorrow, today was primarily a test to see. Hopefully that communication error was simply a fluke :P

Um...okay..?
While you are at it, you should check and see what other Wii U games have updates. Depending on the game a lot of free content has been added/fixed in most games. Especially Nintendo titles.

Unsought

Stop being a fucking dinosaur and get a job
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Um...okay..?
Just felt the need to let everyone know. Glad you enjoyed updating it.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you are at it, you should check and see what other Wii U games have updates. Depending on the game a lot of free content has been added/fixed in most games. Especially Nintendo titles.

I don't know of any personally, but I believe version 2.0 includes the free DLC, which I somehow forgot, along with stability fixes, rearranging the "next race" and "replay" buttons so that the next race button was on top, helping transition from races easier. To be honest, I wasn't super patient waiting, as something better will happen, but in the mean time, I can enjoy stable internet for once.

Just felt the need to let everyone know. Glad you enjoyed updating it.

Ah, gotcha, fair enough :D

Fatalframe4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know of any personally, but I believe version 2.0 includes the free DLC, which I somehow forgot, along with stability fixes, rearranging the "next race" and "replay" buttons so that the next race button was on top, helping transition from races easier. To be honest, I wasn't super patient waiting, as something better will happen, but in the mean time, I can enjoy stable internet for once.

Actually the DLC is included in the update but you need to download the unlock from the Shop or else you can't use it. The unlock is under 1 MB.

Yes I do :) Thanks for pointing that out, I bought monster hunter 3 ultimate on special this afternoon.
No problem! It does take around 24 hours give or take for it to show up on the website but hey free money back. Even more so when a free game gives you $5 back despite already being free.

Ah, gotcha, fair enough :D
You can let the Wii U do it for you and find all the update data for all of your games all at once. Enable the Standby Functions in the System Settings and turn the Wii U off. Wait for the light to change from red to yellow and wait a little bit. Turn on the Wii U and check your downloads. The Wii U will be downloading updates for all of your games. After that then just disable the Standby again if you are iffy on updating the system again.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can let the Wii U do it for you and find all the update data for all of your games. Enable the Standby Functions in the System Settings and turn the Wii U off. Wait for the light to change from red to yellow and wait a little bit. Turn on the Wii U and check your downloads. The Wii U will be downloading updates for all of your games. After that then just disable the Standby again if you are iffy on updating the system again.

Meh, I don't like standby, I'll just keep it off, most of my games should be updated anyways. I don't have my games on my HDD, just the discs, so not really needed right now, actually. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • AncientBoi
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i kinda left without giving the quote, but here it is